Much bleeding after surgery? What about pain meds? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Much bleeding after surgery? What about pain meds? Much bleeding after surgery? What about pain meds?

Unread 04-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Much bleeding after surgery? What about pain meds?

Hey girls! My surgery is coming up the 27th & I just thought of something... I am having an abdominal hyst. Do you have much bleeding afterwards? Should I take pads to the hospital & will I need them when I get home? I've also heard a lot of you mention a pain pump. Is this through an epidural or just through an I.V.? What did you girls use for pain afterwards?? Thanks for any info!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2006, 12:14 PM

I only had a tiny bit of bleeding after surgery and none by the 3rd day. It was wonderful. I just used the hospital pads and didn't need the ones I took home. The pain pump was through an IV. They removed that after about a day. Then I could request pain medication at certain intervals. After the 10th day I didn't even need that!!! It feels so good to be without pain and bleeding. I hope everything goes well for you too.
Unread 04-10-2006, 12:20 PM

I had just a bit of spotting after surgery and the next day. That was it! I had a morphine pump hooked up to my IV, and that was removed the day after surgery when I was started on oral meds. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Same here...very light bleeding first and second day, but then none at all. I also was on a morphine pump the first 24 hours and then they gave me pain meds orally. I've been home 3 days now and am only on 800 mgs of Motrin. I only take it twice a day, and am not really even needing it all that much. The pain has been minimal lately, and I had a TAH/BSO last Tuesday.
Unread 04-10-2006, 12:43 PM

Hi, my experience similar to other reply's..Had LAVH, on Morphine pump through next day plus meds for nausea. Make sure you get antinausea meds if needed; the last thing you feel like doing is throwing up! By 48 hours post-op, I was on oral pain pills. Only took about 2 or 3 Percocet once home, then Toradol for another 2-3 days and then Ibuprofen a day or 2 , pretty much off everything 1 week post op. No bleeding even in hospital. Good luck!
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:19 PM

Hi!

I had a TAH and a panniculectomy. Had a morphine pain pump, and I did get nauseated when they first had me stand up and walk.

I didn't bleed one bit vaginally (although I had a couple of times where my incision started bleeding again).

I was given 30 Vicodin when I went home, and the pain really never went away. Turned out I had a large hematoma which went undiagnosed for several months. My outcome was not at all typical. Although many sisters report needing one or two refills on pain meds, it seems that most only need them for a week or two after surgery. Everyone is different.

Hope this helps.
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:54 PM

I had no bleeding at the hospital or at home. I also had the pump about 24-30 hrs after surgury. I took pain meds for a little longer at home but feel great now. It's been 8 mths now.
Unread 04-11-2006, 11:21 PM

I had very little bleeding after surgery....LAVH....and I just used the pads they had at the hospital. I did bring my own but didn't use them until like day 2 at home. By then it was down to just mainly discharge and I was using pantyliners.

As for the pain meds....I had an IV but no pump. The nurses at my hospital were very attentive and right on top of my pain med doses. I received morphine and tramadol by IV and when the IV came out I was on Norco and Ibuprofen orally.
Best of luck to you during your stay at the !
Unread 04-23-2006, 08:42 PM

Ladies~ thanks so much for the info, I feel more confident after reading it! Four days to go... YIPPEE!!!
Unread 04-23-2006, 09:04 PM

i have not had one bit of bleeding since my surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register