OK, my MOM's story in detail..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK, my MOM's story in detail..... OK, my MOM's story in detail.....

Unread 04-28-2001, 07:14 PM
OK, my MOM's story in detail.....

Hello All,
I have some time to write tonight. I think it is best to do it before I'll forget the details. I suspect this will be long. It is for those of you who want to know the small stuff!

Let's see... first thing's first. My mom is in her 50's and had a TAH (everything but cervix) on Wed. the 25th. She came home yesterday which was Friday the 27th.

It was about three/two weeks between the diagnosis and the surgery. No insurance. We did not know any doctors in the area. The gyn who first found the problem did not want to do the surgery, and the person we've been referred to did not want us because of no coverage.

The diagnosis was a very large cyst on the ovary ("large pelvic mass" to be exact). My mom did not have any problems before. This thing would go on existing if it wasn't for a pain in her side (I mean side - towards the back!). After the gyn examination the pain went away (curious, I guess some nerve was being pressed on).

We were scared. I was in charge of finding a doctor. I did not know a thing! I started looking on the net and found a name and a description of skills on a hospital's page. Something told me to go with it. I called. They said - come. We did. We liked the doctor very much. He was frank, but not cold. He gave my mom a big hug and said all will be ok.

The next week was full of all the pre-surgery appointments : detailed sonograms, CT scan, general physician's ok with x-rays and EKG.
Then a pre-op visit at the hospital, and we were ready.

Note: It was me who practically decided to keep the cervix. The doc said that if it's healthy he can go either way. I went with yes to cervix, because he said the operation would be quicker, and I thought the less cutting the better and the bladder might be happy too. I have no idea if this is so very important, still not sure.

Ok, the surgery day:
We had to be at the hospital very early 6:45 AM, and since it's an hour away we were up at 4:30 AM. We went in, waited to be attended to. A lady took us to a room, gave my mom a gown, robe, socks/slippers, bag to put things in. We waited. A nurse came - asked questions. Another one (surgical nurse) came - ask questions. Then the nurse anesthesiologist came and asked some more ( same questions pretty much - when did u last eat, medications, allergies, past operations?). And then she walked us to the OR where we said good bye.

My mom told me that in the OR they put the IV in ( the nurse had trouble, but the anesthesiologist did it with none - opposite hand). She was put on the table. I did tell her the room will be cold, but the surgical nurse gave her a warm blanket. I though that was a nice touch

Meanwhile, we were waiting in the surgical waiting room.

The operation took under 2 hours (the doc said it will be 2- 2.5). I knew right the way that all was fine, and the frozen section showed no problems! We had a talk with the doc while his assistant was "closing her up". The doc took out a melon size cyst, and some polyps, left the cervix in (healthy). Said the liver looked ok( )

We waited some more in better spirits for my mom to get out of the recovery room (usually takes an hour). I got inpatient after about 2 hours and went to ask the nurses. They gave me a room number and off we went.

She was up. I thought she looked good, but loopy. My father wanted to talk, but I could see she was barely aware (she says she remembers though). She wears dentures and they were left in the room she changed in. I asked the nurse if we could get them up to her room. Finally I went downstairs myself and fetched the bag in a jiffy (people are busy).

We stayed with her. I decided to stay the night and asked the nurse if I can. She said - sure (yay!)

My mom was hooked put to the oxygen tingy, morphine with a button (I asked about that before the surgery so she knew she would have a button), IV (morphine went in together with the fluids ), leg pumps ( to prevent blood clots), and a catheter (asked about that too, they put it while the patient is asleep, GOOD!)

And so the evening began. And then the night. The nurses came once in a while, introduced themselves as the shifts changed, and asked if all is fine. They checked: temperature, blood pressure, and oxygen level with pulse (a machine with a cord that has a little thing you stick your finger in, it beeps and the numbers show up - 98 is perfect for oxygen, I asked).

I asked question out of sheer curiosity I was interested in the catheter- works with gravity. My mom said you don't feel it, and you don't even feel going to the bathroom. I guess somehow the muscle that normally controls the bladder is disengaged.

Oh, they peek at the dressing a little, don't touch, just look.

I must say that the nurses were just great! Everyone was pleasant and smiling (you develop a smiling instinct LOL)

Oh, of course! about the pain and morphine! The machine with the morphine was computerized, and was releasing .5mg dose every so often (I think it was every 5min/read the screen). My mom was not in much pain. She pressed the button immediately after the operation, but then the machine did its thing which was enough. During the night she did not press at all. The nurse said it varies, some people go through many cartridges and some don't. My mom had about two which was below normal.

One thing that was the WORST in the whole experience was a lady in the next bed who kept talking and screaming for the nurses all night and day! (the ear plugs came in handy! thanks ladies for the tip!) So if you have an option of a single room do take it. I think it was bad luck for us, that's all. Now it provides some comic relief

The morning came. Around 9 or so they brought us things for washing and beauty - mouth wash, soap, tooth brush, lotion, comb. I was there so the nurses did not have to do a thing. My mom just washed her face and neck. No big deal.

She was allowed to drink some liquids now - liquid diet. The night before - no water! just some ice chips - help with dry mouth from the anesteshia.

The nurse took the catheter out (did not hurt).

I forgot to mention that the night before they changed the pad and washed things a little ( she had to turn on her side) You will have a pad for the blood that will be coming out.

Soon after the catheter was out she wanted to go to the bathroom. The question was will she get up or not yet? (they can bring you a thing to pee in). She was brave and we decided to try it. The nurse unplugged the morphine machine, the oxygen thinge was not needed anymore, and she took off the leg pumps ( not needed if you walk). I found out that the morphine machine works on batteries so unplugging it is no problem. My mom gave it a couple of clicks. She got up slowly and walked few steps to the bathroom. It does take some time to make things work the first time so take it easy. Text time we made the whole trip without the nurse. Oh and don't worry, the beds go up and down which will help you to get up. I understand doing it more with your side is better than getting straight up. Find your groove.

I waited till the doctor came. He asked how things were, and was happy all was fine. Oh yeah, before him the anesthesiologist came and asked if she wants to get off the morphine and switch to pill pain killers. Anesthesiologist was confusing. My mom got a bit nervous and said maybe later. I asked if the pills are just as good and apparently - yes. Anyway I found out from the nurse later that if you are holding liquids down you may go off the morphine and on to pills and food. I guess if you are vomiting they don't want you to "return" the pills, defeats the purpose.

So, the doc changed the dressing (taking the tape off hurts, but it's quick). He said - you might go home tomorrow!

Around 12 PM I left and my father stayed until 11PM. My mom had the IV and the morphine taken out that evening. There is also an antibiotic they give you in the IV few hours after the surgery - that was out as well. She had some turkey and tried to sleep which was not easy with that darn woman! By that time she had been up to the bathroom a few times.

The next morning, she had breakfast and I was there. The pills were working very well. She said she wasn't in pain. We took a little walk. And then some more. We were ready to go home, just waiting fot the doc to come and ok it.

Our doctor wasn't there, we were expecting his assistant. He showed up around 12. He was funny, and must have seen quiet few of these operations in his time. Thanks to him I found out about the bowel movement thing! I did not even have to ask. He said that the bowel movement is important with every operation. The bowels get shocked and have to start working right again. They have to know which way to go - DOWN. The gas is a sign things are heading south.

My mom was cleared to go! YAY! It was Friday the third day after the surgery. We waited for my father to change cars (he rented a smoother ride). My mom got dressed and we were wheeled out. I brought a soft pillow to put between her belly and the seat belt (thank you so much for telling me this!).
The ride was around an hour, but she said it seemed fast.
She was so happy to be home. I put her downstairs with a million pillows.

Today (Saturday) she is doing very well, doesn't even need the pain killers the doc prescribed. She is eating, walking, and SLEEPING.
Tuesday the staples come out. I am already in possession of a staple remover

I know this is very long and I'm sorry. It just kept going. I hope it calms your minds a little. Don't sweat the small stuff! If you can, have someone there to help and stay with you. I wish you all the best, and most of all good health. And THANK you, THANK you for all your kind help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2001, 07:32 PM

I am glad to hear your mother is home and doing well. I am also glad to hear you had great nurses and drs.
So did someone finally find a program your mother qualified for to help in paying for the surgery or are they allowing her to make payments? I personally think it really stinks that drs turn patients away cause they dont have insurance.
huggggggggs
Peggy13
Unread 04-28-2001, 07:42 PM

Peggy you read that whole thing? LOL
Well, we may or may not qualify. We have to do some paper work and see. For the doctors and tests we pay.
I feel lucky I found this doctor!!! You have no idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2001, 08:15 PM

Glad it went so well. Your mom is lucky to have such a supportive family!

Keep up the good work...you may not get a crown, but I think you should get a nice shiny Pillow Police badge!!!

The ladies in waiting appreciate knowing all the details...these stories are NEVER too long!!

You are a great daughter...your mom will be fine with you and your dad to help!!

Karen
Unread 04-28-2001, 08:23 PM

yes MEElizabeth
I did read the whole thing LOL. I have posted some long stories myself.
Your mother is very very lucky to have a daughter like you. My son didnt even come here for my surgery which really hurt me. Never even bothered to call hosp or my sisters to see if i was ok. He left a message on my cell phone and said hey its minneapolis give me a call! oh well thats boys for you. LOL Gee I wonder what would of happened if it was his girlfriends mother having it done.
continue taking good care of your mother.
hugggggggggs
peggy13
Unread 04-28-2001, 08:45 PM

I will be happy to get the Pillow badge!
You guys are sweet. I am really just ordinary and just as selfish as everyone else on this planet (if not more hehehe).
Sorry to hear your son let you hanging in the brezze Peggy. I'm realizing more and more that some men have no imgination God bless them. How are you doing now?
Unread 04-29-2001, 07:22 AM

MElizabeth,
It was good to read your's and your mom's story. Hopefully she'll qualify and some of that expense will be picked up.
Glad to hear everything came out okay though. And I agree.....you are very deserving of the badge! Also, I think a halo would be in order cause you're a real
Unread 04-29-2001, 07:22 AM

MElizabeth, Iwas happy to read about your mom. It is very helpful to me to read about positive castle visits. I am getting so nervous about my own. I recently read one horrible story about nurse from H---, and I'm hoping for a much better experience. I am glad that you and your mom are doing so well. You should be proud of yourself. Not all family members are as involved as you have been. Thanks for your story.
Unread 04-29-2001, 07:36 AM

Yes, I think I just read the same story MissVicky! Awful! I am telling you the nurses at out hospital were angels! You should see the patience and the smiles and the hard work. I was impressed.
That woman I mentioned who was in the next bed had them running every minute and they would not blink an eye! She cleary took advantage of their kindness. Nasty thing.
Unread 04-30-2001, 08:57 AM

It's Monday April 30 about 6 days after surgery. My mom is doing very well. She does not even use the pain killers the doc prescribed. I am feeding her the best I can. She takes little walks, sits in a chair, but stays mostly in bed. The doc said to do whatever your body tells you.
Tomorrow we are making the hour trip to take the staples out.
How are you guys doing?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register