conflicting information regarding weight loss/gain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

conflicting information regarding weight loss/gain conflicting information regarding weight loss/gain

Unread 03-10-2013, 09:24 AM
conflicting information regarding weight loss/gain

So I was wondering does anyone know if fibroids make it hard to lose weight. I am having a hysterectomy in a month and I keep getting conflicting info. I have lost 30 lbs however its been very hard. Many things I have read says you gain weight after. I am having a abdominal surgery and I am keeping my overys. I still have a lot to lose because I am 100 lbs over weight. What are your stories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Re: conflicting information regarding weight loss/gain

I did not gain weight after my tah/bso. Initially I could not lose, but I think that was due to the hormones settling and just general surgery recovery. As time went on, I was able to shed the extra pounds I had put on before my surgery.

As I near the 50 mark, it does take more of an effort to keep the weight off. It was much easier when I was 20, but as we age the metabolism changes so it can take more of an effort to shed those pounds and keep them off.

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Everyone is different and your difficulty could be hormonal. I've always struggled with my weight mainly because my portion sizes are too big. Since my surgery I've noticed a decrease in appetite but I can't attribute it to any one thing. As a result though I've lost 5 lbs, however it's tapered off now at 5 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Initially after surgery I lost weight then I went on vacation and gained it back. Now I'm working on losing it again...this is my pattern...5 on 5 off. I also had fibroids but I can't say for sure if and how they impacted my weight. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM

I am not sure if the fibroids result in the weight gain although if they are large they can add some weight. I had my DVH/BSO do to multiple fibroids with one especially large. I do know hormones can definitely effect our weight as well as how we feel. I find I tend to eat when I feel down and my pain was effecting my daily life causing severe back, pelvic, and abdominal pain. That limited some of the things I felt like doing and was able to do. I also was constantly going to the bathroom as I had so much pressure on my bladder. I lost 12 lbs right after surgery as I didn't feel like eating. I have however put it back on and am now cleared to exercise and am working to get it off. I tend to eat when under stress and I am back to work which is stressful although I love my job. Wishing you lots of luck. (I am also over 50 so it does get harder)
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM

I have also gained about 7 in about 5 weeks, I have slowly lost 85 pounds and now this is a bit depressing but I am trying to remember that i am recovering and cannot exercise much. I didn't lose my appetite after surgery...I still have 20 more to lose.
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM

I have to assume that fibroids do make weight loss more difficult in some cases simply because they can cause trouble with the digestive tract by pressing on the intestines, crowding the liver and all sorts of other silliness that can affect the way we process food and waste.
The problem is that since each patient's physiology is different, it seems like it would be hard to get any conclusive data.... this ones uterus was tipped back a little, that one was tipped back a lot, the other one was sitting up perfectly, and so on.... but I see a lot of logic in the idea that the pressure points and crowding could be a factor in weight gain/loss.

In my own case, 30 pounds over my ideal weight, I suddenly have a waist again just because we removed the uterus that was about the size of a 4 to 5 month pregnancy and my bowels are better behaved than they've been in years because there's no more pressure on the system creating "slow spots"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register