been prescribed hrt today now im in a panic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

been prescribed hrt today now im in a panic been prescribed hrt today now im in a panic

Unread 12-02-2005, 05:59 AM
been prescribed hrt today now im in a panic

This will be long winded but please bear with me. I have been to the hospital today to get my granulation problem sorted out. A doctor I havent seen before asked briefly what symptoms I was having. As usual the pains Ive been having in my left side and cramping were dismissed and she said the granulation would not be causing any pain but she didnt come back with an answer to what could be the problem. When the time came to examine me she was very surprised and asked if I was taking hrt. I said that I wasnt because since my operation I havent really had anyone to give me advice. The problem is which I am mortified at is she said since my operation my libia (is that whats its called? and if so what part of the virgina is it) has really shrunk and also inside is shrinking. She asked if I was having problems with sex, which apart from still bleeding slightly it hasnt been too painful. She said due to the lack of oestrigon (sorry about the spellings) I will shrink even more and find sex very painful and as Im only 46 I would benefit from taking hrt so she has prescribed tibolone. Is anyone else taking this? I was hoping that I would be able to stick the my herbal remedies Ive been taking and just spent a fortune on yesterday but now I dont know what do to. She could see I was upset and she said these tablets would make me feel much better in a couple of months.
I have cried all the way from the hospital because it has just hit me how much my body is changing. All the talk of broken bones, dry and shrinking virgina has really hit home. I was just starting to think I was getting over things and my depression and panick attacks were settling. I have read the leaflet that comes with the tablets and there seems to be lots of side effects.
I know Im feeling sorry for myself but I thought I was just going to get my granulation sorted, which she did, but now she told me my insides have shrunk I feel awful.
Thanks for listening.
xxx

tah/bso vertical incision
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2005, 07:29 AM

Collie,
I'm so sorry you are frightened by your dr's words. I've worked around doctors for years, and sometimes what seems routine to them, might be something the patient has never heard of. Therefore it makes you scared...and worried.
I, too, have had trouble with depression/anxiety attacks. Hearing things that make me think too much usually makes it worse for me too. If you still have questions, call the dr back.
I'm on HRT, and have been since I came out of surgery. It's called the climara patch. I have not had bad side effects from it (although I know everyone's different). Taking an hrt might just make you feel better.
Please know that I'm thinking of you...here across the sea.
I hope you can find some peace today. Try not to think too much about everything...wait and see how you feel on this drug.
s, LL
Unread 12-02-2005, 08:49 AM

(((Collie))), I'm sorry you are feeling so upset. I know it can be upsetting to find things aren't quite what we expected post-surgery.

I also had problems post-op with vaginal dryness/atrophy. The tissues in the vagina can become very dry and irritated without estrogen to help keep them healthy and moist. You can read more about it in this link to an article called Vaginal Dryness. Did your doctor suggest a vaginal estrogen for your problem? Sometimes it's necessary to use one, at least temporarily, to get things back to being healthy.

As I understand it, Tibolone (also known as Livial) isn't a hormone product, but it acts like hormones in the body. There are a couple of links in our Resource Database which will give you a much better explanation. Do a search in Resources using Tibolone as your search word and you will find them.

There are long lists of possible side effects for anything we take--medications, supplements, even for the food we eat and everything we drink. What we need to do is weigh the risks against the benefits and do what is right for our own circumstances. Of course you will want to discuss any concerns you have with your doctor.

I'm sending s to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2005, 09:43 AM

Thank you both very much for your kind words and advice. I was feeling strange down there but didnt realise it was because I was drying up to the extent the doctor said, she made me feel a bit of a freak. I will have to realise that my body is changing and come to terms with it. These things would have been happening anyway in a few years time but for some reason Im finding it very hard to adjust. I feel so much better after hearing from you and knowing there is always someone to turn to, even if I am feeling sorry for myself.
I should be grateful my appointment for the granulation went fine and was treated without being too uncomfortable.
Thank you again.
xxxxx
Unread 12-02-2005, 10:17 AM

collie, i truly am sorry to hear of your situation. i was actually at the dr today and i have been spotting, i am app. 8wks post-op, and i had my cervix and both ovaries removed, so i was surprised to see spotting now. i also have the slight cramping, upon my examination he said he couldn't see any granulating tissue, but to his surprise, he did feel alot of scar tissue. i thought it was kind of early for this to happen, especially to actually feel it. i do have a history of previous surgeries for multiple adhesions, so maybe i am just prone to this. i go back in 2 wks and if i still have the brownish discharge, i will have a silver nitrate treatment. they also increased my hrt, i take estratest 1.25/2.5 and i haven't had any problems, except that the lower dose wasn't doing the trick. i do not anticipate any problems with the new dose, except maybe getting my waxings alittle more often lol lol. i have learned to do alot of research before my appt. and then hit them with my knowledge, they seem to not brush you off so quick if you know what you are talking about. i also work in the medical field, so i think that helps. i wish you the best of luck and let me know how the hrt is working for you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register