7 weeks post-op with GREAT feedback/experience | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 weeks post-op with GREAT feedback/experience 7 weeks post-op with GREAT feedback/experience

Unread 05-08-2011, 07:59 AM
7 weeks post-op with GREAT feedback/experience

I am 40 years old and had a partial hysterectomy 7 weeks ago. I read so many stories on this site, most of which were scary and caused me much anxiety.

I thought I should share my good experience....I elected to finally have the hysterectomy due to years of awful periods with excessive bleeding and pain, prolapsed uterus, large fibroids and endometriosis and ovarian cysts. (Also had bladder repair surgery.)

The procedure went well overall with just a minor complication (second surgeon needed to assist with endometrial tissue attaching my ovaries to colon. No biggie though.) Recovery in the hospital was just an overnight stay with plenty of pain medications!

Recovery at home the first few days was fine with really no pain but just some general soreness and discomfort. Off Rx pain meds and switched to motrin about 10 days post-op. Totally done with motrin by end of week 3. At 4 week check-up I felt GREAT! Even better at 6 week check-up.

Minor issues along the way : Awful insomnia for about 7 days where I could only sleep from 4am to 8am. It passed after about a week and I did use Motrin PM for that week or so.
I also experienced terrible body aches for about 4 days during that time period. Motrin helped and this too passed.

Once I got to the 4 week point, I found that I haven't slept this great in over ten years!!!! I also used to have chronic back pain for years and that has gone away!

I went back to work at six weeks but really probably could have sooner. I resumed light exercise at week 4 with doctor's approval for walking and eliptical machine.

I can say that while there might have been a few little bumps in the road with discomfort, overall it was not bad at all (and I am a big baby with pain!) I am sooo glad I finally did the surgery and wish that I had done it several years ago!

Best of luck to anyone currently recovering or anyone facing upcoming surgery. Just remember that there ARE good outcomes out here in Hysterville! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Re: 7 weeks post-op with GREAT feedback/experience

Adding my experience to yours. I had a DaVinci and am 3 weeks post op with a smooth recovery. I'm going back to work tomorrow (initially half days, from home) but after that it's back to my 90 minute commutes and 8 hour work days.

I have loads of energy. Will start exercise at the 4 weeks point, made an appointment with a pilates teacher to ease me back into things. I am walking at least a mile a day at the moment and increasing that gradually too.
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:44 AM

How wonderful to hear a positive and happy story! That's why we all did this, right? To feel BETTER. I am so glad it worked out fine and thank you for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Congrats on your wonderful experience. I have had 12 days of "great" recovery. The ever-increasing advances in medicine are helping us all achieve better lives with this operation.

Fear is normal and education brings some of that, but I think it's a good trade off.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register