Pain Med Issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Med Issues Pain Med Issues

Unread 09-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Pain Med Issues

I surely hope that this type of post is acceptable but it's something that I have struggled with myself in the past and just thought I would share should any of my sisters here like to know. One thing we all have in common is that we have had this surgery and were all probably given pain meds such as hydrocodone which is generic Loritab, Vicoden, Lorcet etc or oxycodone which is the generic for Percocet etc. These pills are prone to cause physical dependence when taken for any length of time. It only takes about 7 to 10 days for me to become physically dependent on them for others it may take longer or may not happen at all. I have listed some of the symptoms you could experience once removing opiates out of your body.
Also don't be fooled Tramadol/Ultram can cause just as much withdrawl as opiates do. On a side note if one takes benzo's such as Xanax, Valium and Ativan long term it is essential that you taper should you ever want to stop using them as abruptly stopping them can kill you!! Withdrawl from opiates however will not you will just feel like death.
Also it's always best to taper any type of anti-depressant as it can also cause withdrawl symptoms.

WITHDRAWAL & POST ACUTE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS
Anxiety
Increase in blood pressure
Feeling that you're jumping out of your skin
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Sweating
Goosebumps
Leg & back/shoulder pain
Sleep deprivation
Dehyrdration
Depression
Lethargy
Rapid-fire sneezing
Runny eyes/nose
Unrelenting coughing

One more thing this surgery that we all share could also cause these type problems, due to hormone issues so if you are not sure always check with your physican. I hope this info helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Pain Med Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskiss
I surely hope that this type of post is acceptable but it's something that I have struggled with myself in the past and just thought I would share should any of my sisters here like to know. One thing we all have in common is that we have had this surgery and were all probably given pain meds such as hydrocodone which is generic Loritab, Vicoden, Lorcet etc or oxycodone which is the generic for Percocet etc. These pills are prone to cause physical dependence when taken for any length of time. It only takes about 7 to 10 days for me to become physically dependent on them for others it may take longer or may not happen at all. I have listed some of the symptoms you could experience once removing opiates out of your body.
Also don't be fooled Tramadol/Ultram can cause just as much withdrawl as opiates do. On a side note if one takes benzo's such as Xanax, Valium and Ativan long term it is essential that you taper should you ever want to stop using them as abruptly stopping them can kill you!! Withdrawl from opiates however will not you will just feel like death.
Also it's always best to taper any type of anti-depressant as it can also cause withdrawl symptoms.

WITHDRAWAL & POST ACUTE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS
Anxiety
Increase in blood pressure
Feeling that you're jumping out of your skin
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Sweating
Goosebumps
Leg & back/shoulder pain
Sleep deprivation
Dehyrdration
Depression
Lethargy
Rapid-fire sneezing
Runny eyes/nose
Unrelenting coughing

One more thing this surgery that we all share could also cause these type problems, due to hormone issues so if you are not sure always check with your physican. I hope this info helps...
I HOPE THIS INFO WILL HELP TOO [edit] Tolerance, dependence, addiction and abuse
These issues cause doctors and patients many concerns, and are the most common reasons for inadequate use of analgesia in patients with severe pain. Putting these issues into the context of analgesia is important.

Tolerance is the tendency of the body to adapt to the presence of opioids and is a common reaction to any chemical, including caffeine. Tolerance is more pronounced for some effects than for others; thus, opioids demonstrate selective tolerance:

rapid tolerance to euphoria, dysphoria, itch, urinary retention, and respiratory depression;
gradual tolerance to nausea, drowsiness, pain relief;
limited tolerance to constipation, sexual side effects.
Dependence is the tendency of the body to manifest a characteristic and unpleasant withdrawal syndrome if regular doses of opioids are abruptly discontinued after tolerance has developed. This is also common for many chemicals, including coffee. For opioids the withdrawal syndrome generally consists of severe dysphoria, anxiety, eye tearing, a runny nose, goose bumps, sweating, nausea, vomiting, cramps and deep pains are common. For patients taking opioids for pain relief, this can occur in some (but not all), but it is not a clinical problem, since most can rapidly reduce their opioids over 1–2 weeks without precipitating a physical withdrawal syndrome. Addiction is a psychological craving for certain effects of opioids (such as the euphoria that many people experience when the drugs are taken in sufficiently large doses) that drives the user to take the drug despite adverse and maladaptive consequences. Dependency and the unpleasantness of withdrawal can work to maintain addiction, although they do not cause it. This occurs only in specific social circumstances for an individual. Consequently, addiction is common in people taking opioids recreationally, but it is very rare in patients taking opioids for pain relief.

Abuse is the misuse of opioids in the context of addiction.
Unread 09-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Pain Med Issues

Thanks so much for the post..very good info.

My question is, I tried NOT to use the opiates after coming home from the hospital and used 600mg of ibuprofin instead (as perscribed by surgeon), but it too has side affects from high doses (very bad stomach stuff) and it wasn't managing the pain as well as vicodin. So I dropped the advil and went back to lowest dose of vicodin and tried to use only 1 per day and 1 per night. This managed the pain very well and my recovery was back on track.
I have been on them though for several weeks (probably 10 weeks on and off!) and I am now cutting back even more, but any advise on what to do would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Pain Med Issues

I filled a prescription for oxycodone yesterday.....10 pills. Took 2 yesterday afternoon...the hour long car ride home really caused me some discomfort. I only take them at night to help me go to sleep....but I had weird, scary dreams last night.

I think I'm going to lay off the oxycodone and stick to ibuprofin, even at night. The dreams freaked me out. At least I was aware enough to be able to remind myself that I had taken pain medication. Too weird for me!
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Pain Med Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes2u
I HOPE THIS INFO WILL HELP TOO [edit] Tolerance, dependence, addiction and abuse
These issues cause doctors and patients many concerns, and are the most common reasons for inadequate use of analgesia in patients with severe pain. Putting these issues into the context of analgesia is important.

Tolerance is the tendency of the body to adapt to the presence of opioids and is a common reaction to any chemical, including caffeine. Tolerance is more pronounced for some effects than for others; thus, opioids demonstrate selective tolerance:

rapid tolerance to euphoria, dysphoria, itch, urinary retention, and respiratory depression;
gradual tolerance to nausea, drowsiness, pain relief;
limited tolerance to constipation, sexual side effects.
Dependence is the tendency of the body to manifest a characteristic and unpleasant withdrawal syndrome if regular doses of opioids are abruptly discontinued after tolerance has developed. This is also common for many chemicals, including coffee. For opioids the withdrawal syndrome generally consists of severe dysphoria, anxiety, eye tearing, a runny nose, goose bumps, sweating, nausea, vomiting, cramps and deep pains are common. For patients taking opioids for pain relief, this can occur in some (but not all), but it is not a clinical problem, since most can rapidly reduce their opioids over 1–2 weeks without precipitating a physical withdrawal syndrome. Addiction is a psychological craving for certain effects of opioids (such as the euphoria that many people experience when the drugs are taken in sufficiently large doses) that drives the user to take the drug despite adverse and maladaptive consequences. Dependency and the unpleasantness of withdrawal can work to maintain addiction, although they do not cause it. This occurs only in specific social circumstances for an individual. Consequently, addiction is common in people taking opioids recreationally, but it is very rare in patients taking opioids for pain relief.

Abuse is the misuse of opioids in the context of addiction.
Great added info...thanks..
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Pain Med Issues

Quote:
Great added info...thanks..
Thanks, I just didn't want to scare some sisters so i looked up some other advice too Thank you for you info too GOOD TO ALWAYS KNOW

I had mentioned in another message that I curretnly take Zantac for my stomach since alot of these meds cause upset stomaches, heart burn affect, burning, nausea and even vomiting.

Good luck to all sisters with these meds... and OH BOY DO THEY CONSTIPATE YOU TOO
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Pain Med Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes2u
Thanks, I just didn't want to scare some sisters so i looked up some other advice too Thank you for you info too GOOD TO ALWAYS KNOW

I had mentioned in another message that I curretnly take Zantac for my stomach since alot of these meds cause upset stomaches, heart burn affect, burning, nausea and even vomiting.

Good luck to all sisters with these meds... and OH BOY DO THEY CONSTIPATE YOU TOO
Yep, I sure didn't want to scare anyone either..LOL
I have just found over the years that sometimes folks think they are having issues from various types of surgery's when in essence their bodies were just purging all the pain meds they were on..
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Pain Med Issues

Quote:
Yep, I sure didn't want to scare anyone either..LOL
I have just found over the years that sometimes folks think they are having issues from various types of surgery's when in essence their bodies were just purging all the pain meds they were on..
Oh God Yes!!!! This Was Surgery #7 and I Have Been Threw Hell with Pain Meds!!!!! its Has Ranged from Watery Eyes to Severe Itching and Trouble Breathing....

They Put Me Threw a Full Pain Mangement Class for about a Year and Half. I Have "Never" Been Addicted Thank God! That Would Be Horrible and this Has Been the Worse I Have Ever Felt in My Life, the Pain, the Constipation, Fevers, Infections, the Reactions......... Blah, as I like to Say Even Though its Not Christmas Is

Bah Humbug!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Pain Med Issues

You have me beat in the surgery dept bless your heart. I have had 4 in the last 4 years though I wouldn't say I was addicted per se but I was physically dependent on them and I had terrible withdrawl after my gallbladder surgery a few years back.
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Pain Med Issues

Quote:
You have me beat in the surgery dept bless your heart. I have had 4 in the last 4 years though I wouldn't say I was addicted per se but I was physically dependent on them and I had terrible withdrawl after my gallbladder surgery a few years back.
Omg, Im So Sorry! That You Had Trouble with Meds, I Had That Removed Too in 1996 I Was a Nurse and Learned Alot When I Was Younger.. Plus I Lived in a Town That They Renamed "Tweeker Ville" and Saw Alot of Things That I Learned From..... I May Be a Chunky Monkey, but its Better Then Being Skinny from Drugs of All Types. They Sell the Meds on the Streat Here Too.... after a Few Surgeries Back and the Tweeker Neighbor Trying to Buy Meds for 5 Buck a Pop!!!!!!! Isn't That Sick?? It Made Me So Ill and Called the Cops! And Told Them I Would Help Them Get off Drugs!!!!!!

So Glad Though That Your Ok <oops! please keep support online!> Rant, Rave, Upset, Need to Talk, Anything

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register