Scheduled TVH Here we go-surgery in may | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Here we go-surgery in may Here we go-surgery in may

Unread 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Here we go-surgery in may

My questions are: Does anyone know if they can actually visualize the ovaries in a tvh? Mine are enlarged and slightly cystic with fluid in the pelvis. I am actually releived that they have decided to go ahead with this because I have had pretty significant pain and longer periods and such for five months increasing. My uterus is measuring in the 13cm range so it is also quite enlarged maybe adenomyosis... Any input is welcome you never know what kind of info is out there with vetrans of the surgery. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Re: Here we go-surgery in may

I'm not sure what you mean... Are they removing your ovaries too with your uterus and cervix?
I had LAVH, in which they do a full diagnostic/exploratory laparoscopy before removing everything vaginally. She did this to find all of my endo and to look to see how my ovaries were to be sure that I could keep them.
If you're wanting to know if your ovaries are healthy or not, you should talk to you doctor and see if you can switch procedures to an LAVH, unless you've already had a lap?
Unread 03-10-2010, 09:03 AM

I had the same question for my doctor when I was preparing for my TVH. The plan for me was to keep my ovaries if they were healthy and I was concerned that during a TVH, my doctor wouldn't be able to see them or remove them if needed. He assured me that he would 'have a bird's eye view' of them. He was able to see them and he told me they were healthy.

Best wishes!

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM

THANK YOU for responding! I am happy to hear that they can see the ovaries with a vaginal hyst. I had a lap last year endo free, just a lot of adhesions.
Then this year: my uterus has enlarged to about 13cm and both ovaries are enlarged about 5 cm and free fluid. The doctor did not seem alarmed by enlarged ovaries at all. I am 41 with no major health issues except cryo for cervical issues in 08 also.

Your comments lead me to believe when we get closer, it may be wise just to see if they will check the ovaries out or switch to lap-assisted if necessary.
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:38 PM

Hi
My ovaries weren't visible due to endometriosis. I had TAH/BSO Everyone is different. Good luck!
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:49 AM

I have endo ca and had TVH which at the time I was told would be OK. But after, the (non onc) GYN told me they can't get a really good view vaginally, only if its LAVH. And then 2 GYN oncs confirmed that. Bottom line was that TVH could not evaluate the ovaries and it was the wrong procedure for ca, plus with ca its standard to remove the ovaries to check for spread anyway, so I'm having davinci BSO this week. But on the bright side, I had good recovery from the TVH. I feel pretty ripped off on the ovary situation though so look into that LAVH if you have a concern. (And anyone with a ca diagnosis see a GYN oncologist from the beginning). Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:01 AM

Thank you for that thoughtful reply. I am with a gyn-onc due to free fluid and previous cervical issues. The enlargement of the ovaries is a major concern and you have given me ample info to ask a few more questions and save a second surgery. thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:37 AM

I had a TVH and I am pretty sure that he checked out my ovaries to make sure they looked good. They did and I still have them. My uterus was about 11 cm in length when they did the pathology report. Good luck!
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM

Inspiring mind: Was your path clean? was it andemyosis by any chance? As always - thank you for replying too.
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith3849 View Post
Inspiring mind: Was your path clean? was it andemyosis by any chance? As always - thank you for replying too.

My pathology report says that I had the following:

Myometrial Hyperplasia (My uterus weighed 170 grams)
Chronic Cystic Cervicitis. (I had numerous mucus filled cysts measuring up to 1cm.)

So, no andemyosis. I thought I might have had it though, but turned out not.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register