Preparing to be back to work two weeks after lap hysterectomy... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preparing to be back to work two weeks after lap hysterectomy... Preparing to be back to work two weeks after lap hysterectomy...

Unread 09-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Preparing to be back to work two weeks after lap hysterectomy...

I have been told by nursing staff at the NHS hospital where I work in the UK that I can hope to be back to work within two weeks of a lap hyst.

I just wondered whether you people thought that this was realistic. I am a tough cookie but I do think that this is early - even by my high standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Re: Preparing to be back to work two weeks after...

Rachel39 -

Everyone is different, but going back to work after two weeks may be a bit ambitious.

Keep in mind that you will have lifting restrictions - probably 10 lbs for six weeks. You still have lots of internal healing to do no matter what type of surgery you have. You will also be VERY TIRED, so being on your feet so much so soon after surgery may be difficult. You only get one chance to heal right. If you push too much, you will just set yourself back.

I had a TAH BSO - a much different surgery. I went back work after 3 weeks to a moderate stress desk job. But, I could only do part time work (20 hours per week) for another 4 weeks and that was TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH. After that, I went back full time (40 hours per week) but could not do any overtime.

My suggestion would be to plan on taking more time off and go back earlier if you feel up to it. Just move slowly back into your life.

Unread 09-20-2014, 02:36 PM

My job involves toddling around long hospital corridors for intervals so I can see your point.

I have a history of "bad moves". This included driving home directly after a general anaesthetic and having to stop at the local rabbi's house to sober up on coffee.

My second colonoscopy saw the surgeon insist on the sedation I had refused the first time because I wanted, once more, to drive home. I went straight back to my desk but the stomach cramps got me very annoyed. The boss sent me home. Our hospital sickness policy is strange - it is draconian in some respects and lenient in others. You are fine if you stay off for a fair period but you must not just come and go. This means that I cannot just return and see how I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2014, 03:08 PM

That being the case, I would suggest you plan on taking a few weeks of not more. Remember, this is MAJOR SURGERY and they are removing an internal organ. You are also loosing your cervix so recovery can take longer than if you kept your cervix. You will be sore, or maybe in lots of pain. So you will be on narcotics or other pain killers.

I have read other posts from nurses and they took 8 weeks off because they had to be able to go back full time once they went back to work.

Please, please have someone drive you home from the hospital. Do not drive yourself. You will probably have driving restrictions for at least a week if not more.

This surgery is like none other I have had. Give yourself a chance to heal. You will only get one chance to heal right.

Unread 09-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Re: Preparing to be back to work two weeks after lap hysterectomy...

I read something the other day that suggested a recovery time of 3-4 weeks for TLH. And most of the women in my recovery thread are not going back to work for 3-4 weeks.
I had a SAH (abdominal but kept cervix) and I started working from home this week (2 weeks post op). Even though I am at home and laying down I am physically and mentally exhausted after 2-3 hours. After a break and a nap I can usually work another 2-3 hours. I was anticipating returning to the office after 4 weeks post op but now I am thinking it will be more like 5 to 6.
Each of us are different and heal differently. My human resources department recommended asking for the maximum my Dr recommended. As they put it, it is easier to ask for more and return early than the other way around. It's sounds like your work may be the same. I'm glad I followed their advice as now no one will question me not returning in office full time for 6 weeks.
Wishing you good health and recovery!
Unread 09-20-2014, 04:14 PM

Thank you all.

Driving myself will not be possible because I shall not have access to my car!!!

Pain... you mean worse than those frightful periods. A friend of mine said that childbirth was better than her monthly misery.

Things are looking up around here though because I believe that there will be more help forthcoming than I had anticipated. A friend (she has a psychotherapy qualification - and obviously knows EVERYTHING about people) encouraged me to ring my cousin who lives a few miles down the road to ask for help. I said that this would, in short, be a triumph of hope over experience but made an attempt. The response was as anticipated - she is sweet, fluffy and useless. She probably has one of those naff tinkly tunes on her mobile phone,,,

My friends down the road were a different matter. They set off on an immediate shopping expedition for food to assist post op. Their rationale was simple - they do these things for friends.. They have had the toughest time and are the most busy.

Such are the ways of the world. You ladies will be abundantly familiar with them.

Incidentally, from the posts I have seen here, you should rejoice in your distance from England. Intelligent and sensible females can be a rarity and I am looking to recruit leaders for my Brownie pack. A handful of you lot as my casual labour would suit me nicely.
Unread 09-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Hi Rachel -

I am sorry your cousin is feckless, but glad your friends will be there to help. You cannot choose your family, but can choose your friends. It looks as if you choose wisely. And I think we all can name those individuals of our family that make us

Good luck with your surgery. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

Unread 09-21-2014, 08:20 PM

Hi Rachel,

I was so sure I could return to work at 2 weeks. I had double knee replacement a year ago and did fine. Certainly I can go back at 2 after dvTH. I pleaded with my doctor and she agreed but said "you don't understand." Well . . . I Kept my grandson for a few hours. All I did was make sure he went potty, made him a sandwich and read to him. I was so exhausted by noon that I crashed for the rest of the day. She was right - I didn't understand and there was no way I could return.

You sound a lot like me - I can be so independant but this surgery taught me that I needed to let others help. Thankful you will have help and that you won't have your car.

You can still be superwoman you just may need to leave your cape at the cleaners for a while.

on your surgery. We will see you on the other side.
Unread 09-22-2014, 09:43 AM

I did go back two weeks post op and have been fine, however, I also have an awesome boss who kicked me out of the office after 6-7 hours to finish working from home (he was more worried about me than I was!). I also have a pretty sedentary job so that helped. the other thing was sitting - I've read so many posts where ladies were uncomfortable sitting upright. I haven't had that problem but if I did, that would have affected my ability to go back to work so soon.

So, the questions would be how strenuous is your job (and walking a lot can be an issue); do you have the flexibility to work shorter days if you need to go home to rest; do you have an office where you can 'hide' if you need a quick rest/nap/wear an ice pack for a bit?
Unread 09-22-2014, 04:29 PM

They have been really good so far in my office. Initially, I think they believed that I was making up my symptoms and I was told at one point about the wonders of acupuncture for my urinary difficulties. They have now gone very quiet and good.

I love the bit from the correspondent who suggested that I left my Superwoman cape at the cleaners. I shall re-cycle this comment in the future here across the Pond.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register