Having second thoughts 1 week out... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having second thoughts 1 week out... Having second thoughts 1 week out...

Unread 04-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Having second thoughts 1 week out...

I just scheduled my abdominal hysterectomy today for next Tuesday. The surgery center called to ask questions and give me info for that day. So now I'm freaking out.

Here's the deal: Since I had my little guy almost 4 years ago, I've had increasingly large clots all through my period, recently to the point of wishing I could stay home instead of taking him the half-hour to town for preschool. I have to plan where I am for a week so I can be sure to change the hardware before I leave an embarrassing trail. I haven't been on hormones since 6 months before having the baby. Finally, I got fed up and figured I should get to my OBGYN (I had naughtily skipped that appointment for 2 years).

He put me on 2 cycles of NuvaRing and I still had clotting. At my scheduled ultrasound, with an additional fluid-injection ultrasound, he saw (in my words) a "defect" in my emergency c-section closure of my uterus...looked like a flap hanging down to me. He also saw what he thought was a Nabothian cyst and some "common, no-big deal" cysts on one ovary. He mentioned before he saw the "flap" that I could try ablation, but I said if isn't 100% going to get rid of this period, then don't bother. He says that ablation may not reach the defect anyway, so it's out either way.

So I'm left wondering today if I jumped too fast on this and should try a few more months of the NuvaRing to see if it helps the clotting. I don't have any pain and the doc didn't say a thing about cancer, etc. In fact, as he was leaving the room last week he said I could try the hormones a little while longer when I asked about that.

Having been through a traumatic c-section I thought "no big deal, I can handle this," but now reading all of the other details at this site, I'd rather avoid it for now.

I think I've talked myself into cancelling, but maybe tomorrow I'll be back on the wagon. I just had to vent (I'm also stressed out right now since the weather conditions made my wood stove backdraft and I've just spent over 2 hours dealing with a smoldering fire and now a smoky house and a wet ashy mess to clean up). Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 05:12 PM

It is perfectly normal to have fears and doubts! So you are not alone!

If you do not feel that a hyst is the 100% right choice for you, I would suggest waiting. A hyst is a major, irreversible surgery. Once it is done, it is done. It is not a surgery you should rush into if you are not in a life or death situation. And a second opinion regarding what might be best for you is always a good idea prior to any major surgery.

If there are alternatives and/or options available, my recommendation would be to try those for awile and see if they help. You may find that given time, one of them may work and you can avoid the hyst altogether.

I wish you the very best for whatever you decide is right for you! Weigh the pros and cons, research your condition and your options, get a second opinion, and do what is best for you!
Unread 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM

I'm all for keeping your organs unless it's absolutely necessary to get rid of them. I'm in so much pain I can't wait to get to the castle. I wish I could go sooner. I begged my dr. to take me sooner b/c I can't even work or take care of my ds without help (he's only 2) these days. But I'm leaving everything I can in there, and the hyst is a last resort b/c none of the other treatments worked. The other treatments could be stopped, but surgery is a huge commitment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register