The pain...i can't take it anymore | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The pain...i can't take it anymore The pain...i can't take it anymore

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
The pain...i can't take it anymore

The pain inside is so bad. I was up at 4am, pacing the floor -- crying, screaming at my husband because nothing was relieving it.

It feels like a muscle spasm or twisted organ and something crawling most of the time. I don't know if my bowels are twisted or if I have a muscle strain, etc.

The Dilaudid tabs help, but at the 4hr mark, the pain starts to creep back. I don't want to be on Dilaudid forever. I was in the ER Friday and they don't know what's wrong. I called the dr's office and they may see me on Wednesday if I'm still having this issue tomorrow (Tues).

If it weren't for this pain, I would feel great. Even if I try to walk, it feels like something is twisting inside of me -- ready to bust out. I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but I feel like just giving up and dying when it happens. My husband thinks it's just taking me a while to heal and that I am 'looking' for something bad to happen. He says he really needs to get back to work, which I do understand.

Believe me, he's been an absolute gem, but when this pain hits, he just tells me to lay down and close my eyes. I can't -- it's excrutiating and I just want someone to put me out of my misery because I can barely function when the twisting happens. He's nervous and doesn't know what to do.

I pray he's right and that there is nothing wrong; but at the same token, if there is something wrong -- I hope he finally 'gets' that I'm suffering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Re: The pain...i can't take it anymore

I feel your pain. I too have had bad pain. I had a laproscopic hyst. done June 8th and am still in pain. Feels like my ovaries are gettin stabbed with sharp knives. My dr said it could just be the nerves being pinched that are going to the ovaries.. after ct scans and ultrasounds no-one can figure out whats wrong. So I gave up and shes taking my ovaries friday. I hope you don't have to go that extreme. As much as you have heard it, it does take time. I would definatly reccommend an ultrasond at least, so they can look and see whats going on inside.
Good luck hun. I hope this gets resolved for you soon.
Unread 07-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieDawn View Post
would definatly reccommend an ultrasond at least, so they can look and see whats going on inside.
Good luck hun. I hope this gets resolved for you soon.
Hi and thank you..

When I had my trip to the ER on Friday, I did have an Ultrasound and a Chest X-ray. Both looked fine. They couldn't do the CT Scan because I am allergic to contrast dye. They really need to use the dye to see if there are any pockets of fluid or blood. But, they really didn't think they needed to go that route. I may just have to buckle down and do it.. I've been premedicated for the contrast dye before, but STILL had a reaction. I'm scared to do it.

*sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Oh Chrys, I'm so sorry you are having so much pain. Is there any chance that you are doing too much? Even sitting at the computer for long periods of time would cause me pain for several weeks. Many women need to use their pain pills for a couple of weeks after their surgery. Your have had some major work done.

I do hope you feel better tomorrow. Putting an ice pack on my tummy really did help the pain a lot for me.

Kay
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay m View Post
Oh Chrys, I'm so sorry you are having so much pain. Is there any chance that you are doing too much? Even sitting at the computer for long periods of time would cause me pain for several weeks. Many women need to use their pain pills for a couple of weeks after their surgery. Your have had some major work done.

I do hope you feel better tomorrow. Putting an ice pack on my tummy really did help the pain a lot for me.

Kay

I've been on COMPLETE bed rest!! I'm sick of it. I only get up to use the bathroom or take a brief walk to the kitchen or take a shower with assistance. So no...I'm NOT doing anything. I don't want to lay all day as I'm afraid of blood clots, but that's what I've been doing -- laying in bed with the laptop and a book. I just don't understand what is wrong with me.
It's so frustrating.
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Oh and the Dilaudid that I'm on is just as strong or stronger than Morphine! That's how bad the pain is. Percocet and Tylenol #3 were not cutting it at all. They had to medicate me in ER because I was a mess; just writhing in pain.
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad.

You had your surgery just a week ago today. To be honest with you, at one week post-op I was still taking pain pills 'round the clock and was also doing little more than lying in bed and making myself get up to get drinks of water or go to the bathroom and check my surgical drains. I wasn't up to visitors, and I wasn't even near well enough to sit up at the computer for longer than a few minutes.

It takes time to recover from major surgery. You're still soooo early post-op. It's hard to hear, I know -- but you may just have to give it more time. That having been said, of course, if you are in pain that is truly unrelieved even for short periods, you need to do more than call the -- you need to go and be seen, in the ER if necessary.

I don't mean to scare you, but severe pain as you describe may be a sign that something serious is wrong. It may also mean that a change in medication may be in order. What works for one person can be much less effective for another person.

Please let us know how everything goes, OK? I hope you get some good pain relief soon.
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:09 PM

I find it amazing that you are in this much pain, your doctors staff knows it, and they can't find time for you until Wednesday! You did the right thing in going to the ER and letting them work you up. When that was inconclusive, your doctor should have taken the lead and gone to work with you.

You are doing everything right. None of this is your fault. Hang in there for a couple more days and unload this on your doctor. Then be a PITA until he/she finds an answer and a treatment for you!
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Awwww, sweetie, nothing wears a person down as fast as chronic pain. I'm so sorry and hope you feel better soon.

You are in my thoughts.
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone..

Just to clarify:

1) I live in NJ and my surgery was performed in Philadelphia -- One hour away

2) I did go to the ER in Philly on Friday. They didn't want me to go to my local ER, because they have no history on my surgery, plus -- they don't even do robotic surgery. I think it would be futile to go somewhere close by.

3) My doctor is now away (which I knew would happen). He won't be back in until early September. So, I can't talk to him and since he is away -- there is only one covering doctor. My doc is a gynecologic/oncologist and since there is one covering doctor for all the cancer patients, etc the schedule has been hectic there. If my husband goes back to work tomorrow, I have no one to help me. I've been in touch w/my doctors head nurse, who has been fantastic -- but even she can't tell what is going on. She said that I can go back to the ER, in which she feels they won't know what to do or try to come in on Wednesday to see the covering doc, because that is when they could squeeze me in.

So -- please know that I only have my husband, who has been off work to help me all last week and was supposed to go back to work today. He stayed home, because I"m still not well. Plus, going an hour back and forth is taxing. He really needs to get back to work and I can't drive to Philly on my own.

I'm thinking I have some type of abdominal muscle pull or tear. I had been getting out of bed the the wrong way last week (pulling myself up from a laying down position) when I came home and I noticed the burning starting then. It doesn't feel like surgery pain (which to me was more like labor pains/cramping). This feels like a pull or strain inside on one side. A lto of twisting, knotting and pulling. Also, I had the Ultrasound tech at ER pull me the wrong way on Friday, causing me to writhe in pain. That's when they put me on the Dilaudid.

I'm scared -- I know it could be something serious. Everyone keeps telling me it's the healing process and that I'm panicking. But they aren't the ones in pain. But I can't go back to the ER, in another state, when I have no one to take me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register