Scheduled TLH Laproscopic or Robotic? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laproscopic or Robotic? Laproscopic or Robotic?

Unread 02-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Laproscopic or Robotic?

Greetings all - this website is a wealth of information but I'm a bit overwhelmed in my decision making. I am scheduled for total laproscopic hysterectomy (keeping ovaries but removing fallopian tubes, cervix, uterus), due to abnormal cervical cells (Adenocarcinoma in Situ) following LEEP/Cone biopsy.

I am trying to decide between traditional laproscopic versus Davinci robotic hysterectomy. I have seen 3 physicians - my regular OB/GYN, and 2 gynocological oncologists. The surgeon with the most years of experience would use the robotic technique, indicating he prefers it for ability to maneuver. The other 2 physicians recommend standard laproscopic and view the robotic procedure in my case as too involved, as I have no complicating factors such as large fibroid, I am small in size, and they do not see the benefit of additional anesthesia time and extra incisions.

I would appreciate any input from those who have chosen one versus another based upon their research or experiences. I'm sure this question has been answered many times on this forum in some capacity (and perhaps there is no "right" answer), so my apologies for such a basic question! Kind regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Re: Laproscopic or Robotic?

I also wonder about this and look forward to answers. My doc wants to do DaVinci. Says he can see everything so much better and maneuver easier. Seemed very confident that was the best route. My case isn't very complex either as far as I know. I was under the impression that Lap and DaVinci were pretty similar as far as length of time. I heard abdominal is faster but more complications. Ugh. It's so daunting, isn't it?
Unread 02-21-2014, 12:38 AM

I had adenocarcinoma in-situ and I am a small, fit woman. I WANTED robotic because I'd heard that laparascopic was like operating with chopsticks in comparison. I watched several videos and like to think that the doctor having high visibility and control would reduce risks such as nicked ureters and bladders. If you've watched any videos, you'll see that there's a lot of complications in there with veins and ligaments. You don't need "complications such as fibroids" to use this technology.

I'm 11 days past my daVinci Modified Radical Hysterectomy. The worst part about my recovery was the trapped gas in my abdomen and constipation from pain meds, which I stopped after 4 days. Overall, I'm quite happy with the outcome.

I've heard from others that cost is a big consideration and not all insurance companies will cover robotic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM

I had a daVinci. From what I've read, the robotic tools are more flexible than the regular laproscopy tools and the camera system is also better. I didn't really chose it, my gyn referred me to the gyn onc who is the DV expert at my cancer center and I liked him, so went with his recommendation. Have never regretted it. I had everything out, including 21 lymph nodes, but had no pain or serious complications. I do understand it is more expensive, but no problem with my insurance covering it.
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Mine was a robotic-assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy . (Kind of both?)I have 4 holes - the belly button and one on the left and 2 on the right. I am 5 days post op and doing really well! Has that option been mentioned?
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:04 AM

I also had Davinci and it went really smoothly. Perhaps too smoothly since it made it very easy for me to go back to my very active life very quickly (either that or as my friends tell me, I have no pain receptors lol). While I never researched a comparison, I liked what I read about Davinci and had a lot of confidence in my Dr. Good luck!
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:31 AM

Thank you so much for all of the comments - they are so helpful. Please keep them coming!

Cheers 44- my (and other physicians') concerns with Davinci is that apparently it is a longer surgical time - 1-2 hours for laproscopic done with surgeon's hands, versus 3-4 hours with physician using Davinci. I think this may be due to setting up the equipment rather than procedure itself but am not entirely sure.

Suzyb100 - it sounds like that is the procedure I am being offered. Laproscopic hysterectomy using the Davinci, rather than moving the tools himself with his hands. It requires 2 extra incisions for placement of the instruments.

I am definitely partial to the surgeon who utilizes Davinci - he has several years more experience, and is an oncologist who has probably done many more procedures than my OB/GYN. I am just nervous about the extra anesthesia time and incisions, but everyone's comments so far ring true to what the Davinci oncologist indicated - he feels he has a much better range of motion and control operating his instruments with the robot rather than his hands on the instruments.

I am so grateful to hear everyone's experiences.
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:44 AM

My doc said my surgery would be two hours - maybe a little less. I hope he is right. I certainly would like it shorter but the cons of an abdominal incision may not be worth less anesthesia time. It's a hard one to reconcile. I would like to know if there is less risk of DVT/PE with one or the other but I cannot find that info anywhere.
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM

My robot assisted lap was slightly over 2 hours and my gyn says there was pretty extensive damage from the endometriosis. Huge mass of it on the left side and my bowel and bladder were stuck to uterus. He said separating the bowel was the most difficult. Kind of a miracle my right ovary was good so he left it. All I can say is I am very very happy with how my recovery is going 4 days post op. All 4 incisions are healing nicely. The belly button incision is way less tender than it was with my D&C. My surgeon has lots of experience with the da Vinci and I'm so glad that's the procedure I had. I feel great! Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery.
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:23 AM

Also, don't worry about the extra incisions with daVinci. I have 5 and the only one that has given me ANY discomfort is the one on my belly button...and that's because I had an umbilical hernia before surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register