Dr. Says I'm on my own now. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. Says I'm on my own now. Dr. Says I'm on my own now.

Unread 11-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Dr. Says I'm on my own now.

Today is day 20 for me. Feeling ok. Still walking slow. Still have some bladder spasms & (because of recital prolapse) having trouble completely eliminating. (No pushing aloud). Last few days having vaginal & rectal spasms. Not taking any thing for pain. I only hurt when I reach & bend. Not bad just a reminder to be careful. I called my Dr. Yesterday to ask about post report. I haven't heard from him Sense day after surgery. (Mind you, I had de vinci tvh/bos out patient traveled 3 1/2 hours to & from) great report 1a no muscle involvement. He asked if I was back to normal. (Stupid question). Then said I would have internal swelling for about 6 weeks & by then all my old problems from bladder prolapse would be back. (I'm swollen on the inside but I'm expected to be back to normal?) Then I asked about the 6 week apt. The hospital paper work said to make. He said what 6week apt. I explained. He said no I didn't need to make that apt. Just go see my gyn. In 6 months. I'm sorry my dogs got better treatment. I can't help but think that if I wasn't poor I would have stayed at least one night, & they would be watching me more closely. Ok so here's what I'm doing sense stupid Dr. Seems to think I should be mowing lawns by now. I'm listening to my hystersisters & going slow at my pace. Losts of love & thanks. ( How smart are we women to find a way to get the info & help we need out there. How sad we still have to work around the male establishment to get what we need.) When it comes to hysterectomy this has become my Mantra, Out patient hysterectomy. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Re: Dr. Says I'm on my own now.

Absolutely take the 6 weeks to heal. you may look better from the outside but internally your body has been through trauma and needs time to heal and grow. Contact you gyn and ask LOTS of questions. If you feel off..listen to your body.
Relax, rest, recover!
Unread 11-17-2015, 03:17 PM

Did you see a gyn or a gyn oncologist for the surgery? I agree with you. Someone should be checking you out at least at the 6 to 8 week mark! They need to make sure you are healing properly inside and out and make sure you are not having any concerns - even things like hot flashes or depression. Since you were rated a 1A (me too) you obviously had endo cancer so, at least according to my gyn onc, you should be checked every 4 months for the first couple of years, just to make sure it doesn't come back around your vagina or the neck of the cervix. It is rare for it to come back, but its better to be on the safe side. I think I would call that doctor who did the surgery and ask why you are not being checked in a few weeks post-op and why its OK to wait 6 months to see your gyn. If you do not get a satisfactory answer call your own doctor to set an appointment for 4 months from now and then I would do everything I could to make sure this info about the doctor who did your surgery is made known. Go on every single website you can and rate him. Making comments is also helpful. Anyone who has cancer, even stage 1A like us, should not be left out to dry. Under the circumstances I might even be tempted to contact someone from your local media. This is inexcusable!

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2015, 05:55 AM

It's so weird how all docs say something different. I was three days post op when I had my follow up appt. my doc's office power was out when I got to the office. I called her and she told me to climb FOUR flights of stairs to get to the appt (elevators were down). What the heck?
Unread 11-18-2015, 06:58 AM
Dr. Says I'm on my own now.

Don't worry lady in the shade . You have us. I too did not get to see my doctor until I was 6weeks. He let a doc from the hospital staff discharge me!! On my 2 week appt I seen his assistant - he was out of town!! I was not doing well. I had a bladder infection and a brutal time just walking. O yea i happend to call THEM for my urinalysis results! !I still have to be careful now that I am 8 weeks. Everything tightens up in my abdomen if I do too much. I have only had a couple good days of no pain where I actually felt normal so I am finally starting to heali. So you are probably better off with your hometown gyno. That's what I decided at 6wks. I was sick of the unprofessional treatment I was getting. That was a good decision. I address all concerns with her now. The only reason she didn't do my hysterectomy was because she only did abdominal and I wanted Divinci - boy did I pick the wrong surgeon. You definitely need a 6 week appt. My cuff isn't healed yet and I am not cleared for work or sex. I agree with Sha - give him bad reviews.
Unread 12-04-2015, 06:46 PM

Thank you ladies! It helps so much to know my outrage is not misplaced. Yes I am calling this doc. Out every chance I get. I think I will make an apt. With my local gyn. My husband's muon status is staring to get to him. I need info. Even if my gyn oncologist were local I wouldn't ask him. Thanks again for the support.😇
Unread 12-05-2015, 10:38 AM

I think maybe doctors schedule checkups based on optimal recovery. I had a checkup at 2 weeks so I could get approval to return to work. I had an easy recovery and my doctor said, see you in a year, you no longer need Pap tests. If we have ongoing issues it seems like it's up to us to go back. I'll be seeing my doctor again next week (about 9 months post op) to find a solution to vaginal dryness. The hormonal change has been subtle but it's there and not great for intimacy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register