surgery canceled low hemoglobin | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery canceled low hemoglobin surgery canceled low hemoglobin

Unread 10-03-2005, 03:24 PM
surgery canceled low hemoglobin

Help
sugery is canceled for tommorrow. Hemoglobin is at 7 and I am now on large amounts of iron and birth control pills to help stop my period which are so heavy dr is afraid I could need a transfusion if it is as heavy as normal
Any help with the wait this time around and getting ready all over again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2005, 03:49 PM

I had the same issue with low hemoglobin - mine was 9.6 at the end of July and my doctor was considering either a transfusion or infusion of iron. Are you taking iron? Now, with the iron therapy, the hemoglobin is now 11.6. I can't have hormones, so I am using Lupron. I have found this site comforting with all the issues surrounding this surgery. I wish you much luck with your surgery and improvement in your hemoglobin levels. Hang in there.

Kathleen
Unread 10-03-2005, 06:30 PM

I was also anemic (I'm thinking I was about an 8) but I got up to 10-something with the help of iron and they said that was OK for surgery.

It's so disappointing to have this sort of thing happen, but of course it's better not to operate if it's dangerous to do so. In the meantime, be on the lookout for all iron-rich foods (raisins, leafy-green veggies...) and I hope you tolerate the iron OK.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2005, 06:47 PM

I also have low hemoglobin mine is 9.3 after taking iron supplements. My body would not absorb the iron tablets. My Gyn wants to get me up to 12 by the time I have my pre-op on Nov 7th. I am now having iron injections once a week, believe they should have cx your surgery. I've been in on too many procedures where we had to do transfusions.
Unread 10-03-2005, 08:06 PM

Sorry to hear you've had to cancel. This exactly what I wanted to ask since I found the site, since I'm anemic too and was just under seven when we figured it out and am on supplements 3 times daily.

Leafy greens should be spinach and kale, though it takes longer for your body to process, figs and raisins work well, as well as the standby, beef if you're not a vegetarian. Also I found that cream of wheat was a good source of iron. Plus I read on WebMD that Orange Juice is supposed to help you absorb more iron. Hope you tolerate the iron, some people have constipation issues but so far i'm okay on that count. Hang in there
Unread 10-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Oh, I never thought about this. I've had anemia all my life, and believe me, bleeding this heavy isn't helping!!! I'm going for my pre-op tests on Monday, four days before surgery. I've been on iron pills for months now, but hopefully this period won't drain me too much. I want to get the surgery over and done with. I've been feeling not so tired as before. Don't you wish you could test your hemoglobin yourself, like you do your temp or blood pressure? (Crossing fingers that everything will be fine)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register