TAH, ovary removal planned but no HRT? previous embollism | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH, ovary removal planned but no HRT? previous embollism TAH, ovary removal planned but no HRT? previous embollism

Unread 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM
TAH, ovary removal planned but no HRT? previous embollism

I looked for answers to this on the forum, couldn't find one, so I apologize in advance if I missed it.

I am scheduled to have a TAH on 8/25. Removing a large (grapefruit sized) cyst from my right ovary so it will be taken as well and the surgeon isn't sure if he will be able to leave the left one yet.

My question is this - when I first consulted with my GYN about my physical issues, he suggested HRT as an option, but then mentioned that since I had a pulmonary embollism (blood clot on my lung) in 2005 that I would not be a candidate for HRT. Since that conversation, we learned about the cyst and an enlarged uterus. Has anyone else been in this boat? I am concerned about losing both ovaries and not being able to take hormones.

Also, if anyone has had an embollism before, do you have additional concerns going thru this surgery and the chance of it happening again? Mine surfaced after abdominal surgery in '05.

Other than that, I cannot wait for my surgery - so ready for it. Thanks to this board and all the forum sisters - you have all been immensely helpful so far!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Re: TAH, ovary removal planned but no HRT? previous embollism

Hi debsis

For your questions about dealing with hormone changes, you might want to take a look at our Hormone Therapy and Managing Menopause resources. You'll find some articles that will help you start preparing for what you'll experience as well as links to discussion forums that you'll find really useful after your surgery.

Also, you can do a search (you can find the search box in a blue area on the right of the screen) for pulmonary embolism to find threads from other women who have experienced this before hysterectomy.

I'm glad you found us before your surgery so we can help you on your way!

Unread 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM

I was 52 years old when I had a TAH/BSO eleven years ago. At the time of my surgery I had no idea I had a blood clotting disorder, and three weeks into my recovery I was readmitted to the hospital with a deep vein thrombosis. HRT was out of the question for me. After a year I was taken off blood-thinning medication and my hematologist did a complete blood workup on me. It was then found that I have a genetic predisposition to blood clots (Factor V Leiden).

Besides not being able to take HRT, I was not allowed to use any of the over-the-counter products. I was also warned against too much soy, as it could convert to estrogen in my body. After suffering with frequent and intense hot flashes for over a year, my doctor prescribed Effexor, which helped tremendously. I took it for over four years and eventually weaned myself off it (with the help of my doctor). I'm 63 now and still have the occasional hot flash, but it's really not bad now at all.

You might want to suggest that your doctor test you for a genetic blood clotting disorder and if you do have one you can be anticoagulated before and after surgery. You would also need Lovenox shots post op to prevent clots.

Please talk to your doctor about this. If you don't have a hematologist, now might be the time to make an appointment with one to insure that all precautions will be taken so that you won't develop a blood clot post op.

Best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM

I had a PE in 3/08. I am having a TAH because I can't take anything to help control these hell periods. I am keeping my ovaries though and have been told no hormones ever...even though I tested negative for clotting disorders.

I am really nervous about the risk of another one after surgery. They will use the compression stockings and then we will be very vigilant about watching for symptoms.

I think I will always live in fear of another one...no matter what and this doesn't help. Amazing how something like a PE can keep you on edge for the rest of your life huh?

Good Luck!
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsis View Post
I looked for answers to this on the forum, couldn't find one, so I apologize in advance if I missed it.

I am scheduled to have a TAH on 8/25. Removing a large (grapefruit sized) cyst from my right ovary so it will be taken as well and the surgeon isn't sure if he will be able to leave the left one yet.

My question is this - when I first consulted with my GYN about my physical issues, he suggested HRT as an option, but then mentioned that since I had a pulmonary embollism (blood clot on my lung) in 2005 that I would not be a candidate for HRT. Since that conversation, we learned about the cyst and an enlarged uterus. Has anyone else been in this boat? I am concerned about losing both ovaries and not being able to take hormones.

Also, if anyone has had an embollism before, do you have additional concerns going thru this surgery and the chance of it happening again? Mine surfaced after abdominal surgery in '05.

Other than that, I cannot wait for my surgery - so ready for it. Thanks to this board and all the forum sisters - you have all been immensely helpful so far!!

Hi~
I had a pulmonary embolism last Aug 2009. I also had pneumonia. I was on Warfarin for 6 months and 18 days in hosp since my pneumonia was not "Atypical". There was no explanation for how I got the PE other than the fact that my pelvic cavity was filled with fibroids OR the pneumonia triggered it....I had enlarged uterus, cysts on ovaries, cysts inside ovaries and uterus.
I had a TAH with uterus, ovaries and cervix removed. I cannot take hormones because of having had the PE.
I am currently trying Ergotamine with caffiene...this is a migraine med however one of the other issues it helps is hotflashes. I have less hotflashes now than I did a week ago when I started on the med. I am going to give it a month.
As far as other issues...yes I am emotional at times...I try to keep in check how I react to situations. I do have trouble falling asleep however I have a med for that if needed.
The whole hyster thing...TAH is a rough go at times especially if you are used to doing stuff. I am now 6 weeks and 3 days being at home. I feel so much better each week/day but at times it has rough and depressing. Hang in there and cut yourself a break...you will go through all kinds of emotions/axieties etc but it will get better.
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crace View Post
I had a PE in 3/08. I am having a TAH because I can't take anything to help control these hell periods. I am keeping my ovaries though and have been told no hormones ever...even though I tested negative for clotting disorders.

I am really nervous about the risk of another one after surgery. They will use the compression stockings and then we will be very vigilant about watching for symptoms.

I think I will always live in fear of another one...no matter what and this doesn't help. Amazing how something like a PE can keep you on edge for the rest of your life huh?

Good Luck!
CRACE~
Having a PE is the scariest thing I have ever been through. 6 months on Warfarin and getting pneumonia with that and then colds as well not to mention the side effects of the meds. Axiety and emotions run a muck with me and it is forums and online supports along with talking to friends and family that have helped to keep looking at the "bright side of life" Sometimes I wonder too if it will no longer be in the back of my mind...I try and power on!
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback - I really appreciate it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register