Irony - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Re: Irony

Hi loristar,

I was never able to have children due to endo and I know that I would have totally lost it if I ended up on the maternity ward after my hyster. I found HS about 2 weeks post-op and read that like you there are many women that had to go through the first few days listening to babies being brought into this world. Even for those women who had children, a hysterectomy is very emotional and comes with a lot of grieving. Not sure why a doctor would put a patient recovering from a hyster on the maternity ward...seems cruel and unusual!! So thankful for HS and all the women here that understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2012, 07:52 PM

As I said was never blessed with children , my little sister had her first baby one week after my hyster. He is a beautiful little man I am blessed with Nieces and my new little pal but It sure is tough ;(
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:14 PM

I guess I never thought about this issue when I had my hysterectomy or the time I was put in overnight 2 years ago due to an infection from an ablation. I felt weird because I was an older woman among young mothers. I certainly got some looks from the men that came to visit the ob ward. There was one other lady about my age on the floor recovering from a hysterectomy when I was there that I noticed. I would never have known but we were once out walking with our husbands at the same time.

I can kind of understand why we are put in the same unit. The nurses are trained and use to working with women's issues and perhaps your ob-gyn doctor wants to have his patients in the same area. I'm sure they're not being insensitive on purpose. Maybe they've never even thought about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2012, 09:14 PM

I was very fortunate to have my hysterectomy at a hospital dedicated to all Women's Health. They place the women who have had surgical procedures on the 3rd floor and the Moms and babies on the 2nd floor.
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHunny View Post
I was very fortunate to have my hysterectomy at a hospital dedicated to all Women's Health. They place the women who have had surgical procedures on the 3rd floor and the Moms and babies on the 2nd floor.
that's logical!! So of course it's a Women's Health hospital, and most likely run by women too

Unread 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM

I agree ladies - I'm going to make sure the hospital is told about this issue. xoxoxo
Unread 06-01-2012, 01:07 PM

It is horrible! I went in for a d and c due to a csection scar pregnancy (my third miscarriage in 10 months) and ended up with an emergency hysterectomy to savey life. Luckily after the first day they moved me to a post surgical floor. However the pre-op and first evening were devastating even without actually hearing babies. To top it off my OB's receptionist asked which Dr did my delivery when I went to schedule my 6 week appt. Apparently it was written as post partum follow up. UGH!!!!

I have to say the Lord blessed me with 3 amazing children. I can't imagine not having any, I just didn't think we were finished yet. Guess God had other plans!
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM

I'm 37 I'm single and have no children, but I have always pictured myself as a MOM.... Before my surgery my Mother told the Dr. not to put me on the Maturnity ward.. I would have jumped out of the window.. I now completely barren, still single, on disability (which = low income) with very few options as far as children go
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

I think it is totally insensitive to put a woman who is undergoing or has just undergone a hysterectomy on a maternity ward. I see it all the time and it makes no sense at all.
Saying that though, I am probably a little different as I actually requested to be on the maternity ward following my surgery...lol. I am a registered midwife and work on maternity so would have been cared for by my colleagues (I'm 39 and childless too before anyone asks!). Unfortunately, the day of my surgery, they were really busy so I ended up staying on the surgical ward.
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:58 AM

I had my hyst the Friday before Mother's day and was put on the maternity floor. Um...I'm 30 and have no kids! Tacky much? Thankfully I knew I was being put there ahead of time and have a warped sense of humor but I felt terrible for the other women who may not have handled it the same way. Thankfully I was able to leave Sunday morning even though I had a TAH/BSO so I missed the bulk of the "festivities." The nurses agreed it was bad form and did their best to run interference but some stuff came from the hospital itself so they couldn't do much about it.

What I did want to point out, though, is that even though I was not amused, I consider myself very lucky to have had nurses specializing in women's health during my stay. I had crazy bleeding until late into my first night, and they worked hard to keep me cleaned up and were reassuring and attentive that i was doing well in spite of the oozing. The next morning it had appeared to stop so they pulled my catheter and let me get up to pee, whereupon I had a major bleed-out and left a crime scene on the way to the bathroom. A bunch of nurses immediately appeared and did an amazing job of taking care of me, judging the severity of the situation, reacting appropriately, and quickly getting things cleaned up before I even had time to freak out. They were good! One of them stayed to chat for about 15 minutes to make sure I was ok and calm while we waited on the doc because my husband was not around (thank goodness...very squeamish!). I'm happy to say I had minimal bleeding after that, and I guarantee I would not have kept my cool or been treated with such compassion & professionalism on the general surgery floor. So, I try to focus on that aspect to make the other stuff seem less offensive.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register