Gyn. for bladder work??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gyn. for bladder work??? Gyn. for bladder work???

Unread 02-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

Has anybody had a gynecologist do their bladder work and anterior and posterior work done? HOw was the results? Do I need a urologist to do mine?

Thanks,
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

My GYN did the A & P and LAVH with the urologist doing the bladder neck sling. She prefers to work with a urologist, mainly because they each have their specialties. You might want to check with your primary care doc to see what s/he thinks about it.
Unread 02-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

What kind of tests did they do on your bladder before hand? My bladder is a #3 prolapse with the uterus sitting on top of it. I have a #1 rectocele (sp?). I'm worried because the gyn. hasn't mentioned anyone else helping him with my surgery. I'm guessing that I would have to been seen by the urologist for him to do my bladder. MY gyn. did not mention what he was doing to my bladder to fix it. I go for my pre-op on the 21st and then my surgery is the 28th.

Thanks,Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

I didn't have any specialized tests from the urologist. All I really did was go in with my medical history. He discussed with me the findings from the ultrasound, how the procedure would go, and what I could expect afterwards.

There are many GYN docs who are very good at, and who perform, this kind of surgery. It would be reasonable to assume that if a urologist is going to be involved that s/he would see you first. Bend your GYN's ear about this until you are comfortable.
Unread 02-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

Devon,
Thanks for telling me about your experience.

I still would like to hear from someone who had had a gynecologist do their "bladder work" because of prolapses. I'm feeling very nervous about all of this and am unsure if I need to push for a urologist.

Thanks,
Donna
Unread 02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

Donna-
My GYN told me that she wouldn't do my rectocele repair.
I didn't ask why. I had a female URO do it. She specializes in pelvic floor disorders. The hyst was done 1st, then the repair.
They actually were more than willing to work together.

I had seen the URO 1st , and she gave me the referral to the GYNO.
I already had seen 2 male GYNO's, but I was not comfortable with the diagnosis and just the vibes I was getting.

I went to her (GYNO) just to get a neutral opinion.
She was very honest, and basically non-invasive.
She made me feel that we were making choices as team.

My suggestion is to ask the doc what type of experience he/she has in the procedures that they are doing. You can ask how many times they have performed it, etc.
It's your right to know what is going to be done and the experience the person performing it has.

I hope that this has helped. Some docs. have extensive cross-training, and some don't.

Good Luck,
Marcia
Unread 02-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

My gyn did all my repairs. He explained that he placed a row of stitches next to my bladder to "shore it up" then did the anterior and posterior repair.

While I didn't have a bladder sling, as such, he did place it back in the proper position with stitches. My bladder was the most prominent of the three prolapses and I've been very pleased with the results.

Can you speak with your dr about this? I would definitely ask him if you need to have anyone else to assist with the surgery. Don't be afraid to ask. This is your body and you need to feel at peace with all that's going to happen.

Do keep us posted...

Blessings,
Judy
Unread 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

Thanks Marcia. I'm going for a 2nd opinion on the 7th. I scheduled it last week just for peace of mind. Today I am grateful that I have it scheduled because I am feeling very overwhelmed by it all. A lady who had a hystectomy a couple of yrs ago told me today there was no way I should let a gyn. do my bladder repair surgery. I guess I shouldn't let things get to me, but I am so nervous anymore about all of this. Anyways, I thought if a gyn. had done someones bladder repair on here and they told me it turned out ok. Then I would feel a little more comfortable about it.
Unread 02-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Gyn. for bladder work???

Judy,

Thank goodness someone who knows the answer to my question. LOL.

Thank you that makes me feel so much better. I am still going for my 2nd opinion, but I feel so much better about my 1st gyn. who I really like. Maybe I should just trust my own instinct and tell people who tell me "you have to do this, and you have to do that", just go away. It is period time, so I am definitely not at my best. It is my most painful time of the month and I just can't handle ANYTHING well.

Thanks again,
Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register