Anyone WIth Blood Clot Experience? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone WIth Blood Clot Experience? Anyone WIth Blood Clot Experience?

Unread 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Anyone WIth Blood Clot Experience?

Hi herbsandveggies,
SO sorry to hear it is a blood clot. How did they find it? Was it by Doppler ultrasound?

I am actually surprised that you haven't already been admitted to the hospital. Have they given you any shots or anything?

Most new DVT patients are admitted until their blood levels are in the range that the doctors want. For me, my goal for my PT/INR is 2.5 to 3.0. Most people's range is right about in there.

PT/INR is the blood level that tells the doctors how thick or thin your blood is. The lower the number, the thicker your blood is, the higher the number, the thinner your blood is. You will need to avoid foods with Vitamin K in them because they will thicken your blood. If your INR is too high, you will be requested to eat a salad or something similar to get the level back down.

PT stands for prothrombin time and INR stands for International normalized ratio. Here is a definition that might explain it better.

International normalized ratio, a system established by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Committee on Thrombosis and Hemostasis for reporting the results of blood coagulation (clotting) tests. All results are standardized using the international sensitivity index for the particular thromboplastin reagent and instrument combination utilized to perform the test.
For example, a person taking the anticoagulant ("blood thinner") warfarin (brand name: Coumadin) might optimally maintain a prothrombin time (a "pro time" or PT) of 2 to 3 INR. No matter what laboratory checks the prothrombin time, the result should be the same even if different thromboplastins and instruments are used. This international standardization permits the patient on warfarin to travel and still obtain comparable test results.

When you are in the hospital (if they admit you) you will probably be started on Lovanox injections and Coumadin in pill form. Your PT/INR will be checked probably several times a day, and as soon as you are in range, you will probably be discharged and instructed as to how much Coumadin to take at home. At first you will probably get your PT/INR checked several times a week, then once they know for sure you are stable, just once a week.

Like I said, ask to be referred to a Coumadin Clinic - your levels will be much better managed at the clinic than at just a regular lab. You get your results quick and the nurses will help you adjust your dosage.

Hopefully this won't happen, but if you end up having to be on Coumadin for a long period of time (over a year) then I would request a Coaguchek from your doctor. I own one of these and it is such a nice machine! The Coaguchek is similar to a glucose meter. You stick your finger and put the drop of blood on the strip, then the meter tells you your PT/INR. If this is going to be a long term thing, it is easier for you to get results without having to go to clinic each week.

Hang in there herbsandveggies! And I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Know that there are many of us out there, and I will give you support in any way I can - just let me know!!!

Sending big s your way!

Nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2005, 05:23 PM

Justy, that's right--when they did the scan Friday, they said "no blood clot." The people today also took a lot longer than the one Friday (Friday I arrived at the ER just about 20 minutes before the ultrasound lab closed--maybe they were in too much of a hurry). But it's also possible that it wasn't big enough to be seen Friday.

I did wear those leg compression things, all the way up until just before I was discharged. And I got up and walked around a couple times a day.

I am just glad I followed up on it and that I went to a different hospital this time.
Unread 07-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Nikki, thank you for the great information(we must have posted the last two entries almost simultaneously). That's very helpful and it's great to know what to expect and ask for. They did say the ultrasound was a doppler today (don't know if the other one was). Everyone I've talked to seems surprised I wasn't admitted--apparently that's a function of the PCP, and mine is out of town right now. But I'm seeing another one in the morning, so if you don't hear from me for awhile, you'll know I was admitted.

I did get a shot Sunday--Heparin or Lovanox, I'm not sure which. So hopefully, that is helping too. Otherwise, I'm just on bed rest until my appointment tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2005, 05:36 PM

Herbsandveggies, just wanted to let you know I'm glad they found out what the problem is, although I'm sorry about the blood clot.

Nikki, what a great wealth of info you have. Thanks for sharing it.

Take care all
cjcj
Unread 07-18-2005, 05:42 PM

Thank you CJCJ. You're so right--I didn't "want" a blood clot, but my worst fear was that they would say "nope, no clot!" and send me back home, hobbling around with no other explanation for what was making my leg hurt so much.
Unread 07-18-2005, 05:50 PM

Nikki;
Just a question

You said "Hopefully this won't happen, but if you end up having to be on Coumadin for a long period of time (over a year) then I would request a Coaguchek from your doctor. I own one of these and it is such a nice machine! The Coaguchek is similar to a glucose meter. You stick your finger and put the drop of blood on the strip, then the meter tells you your PT/INR. If this is going to be a long term thing, it is easier for you to get results without having to go to clinic each week."

Will this machine work if the patient is on Plavix as well.... just wondering cause my husband has been on plavix and aspirin for 3 years now.....Wondering if maybe he should have one here at home...

Ces.
Unread 07-19-2005, 12:16 PM

Just an update -- I have to get Lovanox injections daily and blood tests every other day for about the next week, and I have started on Coumadin for blood thinning (but it takes a few days to kick in--that's why the injections are necessary). As someone 1 week out, I was hoping to be walking more by now, but that has to wait until this is resolved.

Ladies--it was a sister here who alerted me that post-op leg pain might be a blood clot, so please be alert to this issue! My post-op instructions made no mention of it.
Unread 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM

herbsandveggies - so glad you are getting treatment now and it sounds like it is a good plan. As far as the Lovanox goes, they will probably give it to you in your belly. If you place an ice pack on the injection site 15 minutes before, it doesn't hurt as bad. I am surprised they aren't admitting you, but the Lovanox kicks in quicker than Coumadin, so I am glad you are getting both. Hang in there! Be sure the docs give you some anti inflammatory to help with the calf pain, and ask about the compression stockings. Some doctors reccomend heat at the clot area and for me that helps but it doesn't work for others. Are you being referred to a hematologist?

Ces: I am not sure if they Coaguchek works for people on Plavix and aspirin or not. If you go to http://www.coaguchek-usa.com/ there is a link for "Contact Us" and the people there might know. Just click on "Information for Patients" and then "Contact Us". Hopefully they can help!
Unread 07-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Hi Nikki, They have not referred me to a hematologist. But my regular PCP is out of town this week; I am being treated by another doctor for this week, to get things started. My regular PCP will take back over next Monday. I'm taking Tylenol (and still have Percocet) for the calf pain.

I really appreciate all your help!
Unread 07-19-2005, 08:30 PM

Dear Herbs and Veggies,
I am so sorry to hear about your post op problem with the blood clot. You and your family have been through so much. I hope you can save all your strength for healing from your initial surgery. You are one brave and patient lady.
I was listening to the Today Show recently and a female doctor was talking about the relationship of birth control pills and estrogen replacemt threapy to the developement of blood clots in women taking these medications. They also mentioned the increased risk in women over the age of 35 who smoke.
I'm sure you and your doctors have this information, but just had to pass it along to others who may not be aware of the connection.
Big Hugs and Prayers,
Take care, Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register