Post hysterectomy vitamins - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy vitamins Post hysterectomy vitamins

Unread 07-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Post hysterectomy vitamins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovedreko View Post
I wish my dr would check my vitamin, electrolyte, and thyroid level then ill know if everything is normal all I need is time.
mine gets checked at the hospital at least a couple of times a year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Re: Post hysterectomy vitamins

I get my thyroid levels checked annually because I'm already on Synthroid and the dosage needs to be monitored.

My other blood tests get done every few years because the results are usually non-problematic. But if you sense that all's not well within your body, get in your doc's face and get her/him to order a set of tests. That's how my thyroid issues were discovered. It's also how we discovered I had a temporary bout of anemia a few years back. You're the one living in the body, so you'll be the first one to sense when things are going wrong.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM

I'm taking my usual multi vitamin for over 50 - also B12, aspirin 81mg for blood and heart health (doctor told me not to stop it even before surgery, has little or no impact on level of bleeding and not worth stopping) , Vit. D (can't do calcium history of kidney stones) and I've had a hard time sleeping since surgery (although I never was a great sleeper) so have been taking melatonin about a half hour before bed, which is working pretty well. Good luck to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
I get my thyroid levels checked annually because I'm already on Synthroid and the dosage needs to be monitored.

My other blood tests get done every few years because the results are usually non-problematic. But if you sense that all's not well within your body, get in your doc's face and get her/him to order a set of tests. That's how my thyroid issues were discovered. It's also how we discovered I had a temporary bout of anemia a few years back. You're the one living in the body, so you'll be the first one to sense when things are going wrong.
Yes I know I am really good at telling something is t right with my body I have gotten alittle better since testosterone but I still feel I need that extra push of energy.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaDiva View Post
I'm taking my usual multi vitamin for over 50 - also B12, aspirin 81mg for blood and heart health (doctor told me not to stop it even before surgery, has little or no impact on level of bleeding and not worth stopping) , Vit. D (can't do calcium history of kidney stones) and I've had a hard time sleeping since surgery (although I never was a great sleeper) so have been taking melatonin about a half hour before bed, which is working pretty well. Good luck to all!
That's what I have to do to I didn't sleep well before surgery but it is even worse now after surgery melatonin does work well I'm alittle worried my body will get to use to it and it won't work anymore
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Lovedreko: me, too about the melatonin, but I guess I'll cross yet another bridge when I get there

I'm wondering, since I see that you had your surgery in December....how are you doing now? I need something to look forward to! Hugs!
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM

I was the exhausted too and started taking iron and felt much better in two weeks. I take Floradix which is non constipating and full of B vitamins.
Hugs
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Ok, I'm new. Just had surgery. The vitamins you take now are close to what I have been taking. They were not at all helpful pre- op. in fact my symptoms were so bad pre - op that is why I said I'm done. Do you exercise? I yoga. I meditate and do relaxation. I even teach it. So I think I am going to stay on my current regiment. Do you suggest specific brands. I have stopped going to Wal mart long ago. I do get my fish oil at SAMs. It is mercury clean certified and tested.
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:44 PM

My husband sees. Neurologist who specializes in sleep disorders. My husband has REMBD. He prescribes a very specific brand and type of melatonin. He uses this and he suggests it as the first step for all his patients. He has found it only through mail order.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM

Surprised, so much of what you wrote in your initial messages is the same with me, except that my thyroid issues aren't subclinical: I don't remember how many years ago it was, but I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I see my endocrinologist usually every six months, but after the hysterectomy my thyroid levels changed, so we're still working out the right dosage of levothyroxine. This past visit, last month, she added liothyronine to the mix. I'm also on Zoloft. So far, no menopausal symptoms, so at least that's one thing I haven't had to deal with. I also take B12, since if I don't my B12 levels are way too low (pernicious anemia, connected to the hypothyroidism).

My gynecologist wants me to be taking calcium, but finding a calcium citrate brand that is swallowable and not hugely expensive is so far an unaccomplished goal. I also take a multivitamin. I'm a vegetarian too, but so far haven't had iron deficiency problems.

Thanks for this thread, all y'all. Very interesting subject.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register