Anyone happy with the surgery?? - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone happy with the surgery?? Anyone happy with the surgery??

Unread 05-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Re: Anyone happy with the surgery??

Spicyredhead may have a point, but I agree with the other ladies posting. I am 3 months out (yes under 6 months) but I do feel that I have some things that I can give insight on. For example, I have been on HRT since the surgery, so my menopausal symptoms were never that bad (I did have to adjust my doages once to relieve the symptoms better). I did not have a huge, raging libido proir to surgery, and since surgery it has remained virtually unchanged. Intercourse still feels about the same as it did before. So although I am not the magical 6 months out, I do take slight offense when my opinions are brushed off. This site is, afterall, for all women who are thinking about hysterectomy, are going through it, or have gone through it already. So please, Spicyredhead, be nice and don't dismiss our opinions just because we haven't hit some magical number. I agree that the more someone knows the better, so we should all give our tidbits of information, as well as going through past posts to see what was said by others who have had this done a while back. As with anything you have done, results do vary and things can go wrong way down the road...who knows

Lets just all be friends and support one another in this journey regardless of how long ago our surgery was done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2009, 10:34 AM

I am 4 weeks post-op a LSH and at this point I am very happy I elected to have this procedure. I had been struggling with pain and heavy bleeding for years and since I was childfree by choice never saw the point in keeping something that was causing me so much misery. Since my surgery I have had no cramps, no bleeding, and no use for tampons/pads! Life is good!
Unread 05-06-2009, 02:56 PM

(((Sisters))) This is a great thread!

We all have opinions and they are all valid.

New post-op (((sisters))) are not *wrong* and they should not be ignored.

I think the point is that that when we give opinions, it's based on where we are "now", and if you're just a few weeks or months post-op, your perspective is that of someone who has not been through the whole healing process. That doesn't mean others shouldn't pay attention to what you have to say -- quite the contrary.

Think of this comparison: If you ask a woman on her honeymoon what marriage is like, she's probably going to glow about her new husband and how great marriage is. Several years down the line, when the "honeymoon" is over, you will hear a different story. Many women will still swoom for their husbands, saying marriage has been the greatest blessing they can imagine. Others will tell you that there have been some bumps in the road, and they'll have advice for you on how to avoid those bumps. Still others will say they regret getting married at all.

And you know what? We need to hear from all of those women, just like we need to hear from all of our (((sisters))) about how they are at this point in time. It's important to remember that most hysterectomy patients have good outcomes. But if you happen to land in the percentage of for whom short-term or long-term complications become reality, it won't matter one bit that "most" women do well after surgery. That's why the pre-op research is so important. If you do this hard work with your medical team, you can go forward in faith and it really helps you come to accept the negatives.

As for me, I am usually still happy I had the surgery back in 2004. But I must admit I have never gotten back to 100%. Today I sit with my lingering pelvic pain and I wonder if I need to go take a pain pill. I don't bleed, my anemia is gone, and I am no longer bloated and uncomfortable, but I still hurt and the doesn't know why.

I wish for successful surgeries and quick, uncomplicated recoveries for all. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2009, 03:10 PM

i had my surgery a year ago today. my ovaries and cervix are gone too. i dont regret a minute of it. i know the time leading up to the operation is an anxious time for you. believe me that is normal. i was scared stiff. but you will fee so much better after. the one thing you must do is rest rest rest........ oh and allow yourself to be pampered.
Unread 05-06-2009, 07:14 PM

We had SEX after 10 weeks of waiting and it was great for both of us!!! He said it felt better than ever. YEAHH!!! I did have a slight headache after but my insides did'nt implode or anything. Not even a drop of blood. Sorry for the graphics but I was'nt sure I could or that it would actually be pleasureable. Whoooo...
Unread 05-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Just home from a bad day at work...read your email and smiled..........glad for you..........smile.............continue to take good care of yourself......from Avalynn
Unread 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM

Glad I could help make you smile after a bad day. I was so happy to return to love. I really did it more for the curiosity. The libido is still lacking, although, it kicks in every now and then. Just told him be ready when it does. We laughed because we had fallen into that once a week, knew it was coming, get r done and get on with things. Now, the uncertainty, and my intiating things is really making him happy, and of course, myself in the process. There are so many things about this surgery that have left me thankful and I hope we all will continue to get better and grow happier.
Unread 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM

My hysterectomy was seven + weeks ago and due to the fact that I have PCOS I had to have my one remaining ovary removed. The left ovary was removed sixteen months earlier due to the first ovarian cyst. I am 37 years old and have no children. I have had complications from my surgery (fluid collection at the incision and in the abdomen) which have not fully been resolved. I now have meralgia paresthetica in both thighs and am in physical therapy. The HRT is not working although my doctor has upped the dosage. I feel as bad as I did before the surgery, plus I have very violent mood swings. I am not painting a rosy picture of this procedure. It is isn't pretty. I thought I was doing well two weeks after my surgery then everything starting hitting me ... the mood swings, the pains in my legs, etc. Not happy at all with my surgery. I have traded one problem for three others.
Unread 05-12-2009, 03:04 PM

Snarly,
That's dreadful news. What causes water at the wound-site?
What does the MD plan to do for you, to make your life good again?
A big hug to you!
SM
Unread 05-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Where exactly r u from? I knew an Avalynn in Canada.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register