I'm scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm scared!

I am 35 years old with 4 children. My husband and I have been trying to conceive #5 for the last year, which along with heavy periods, which I just thought were "normal" for me, is what lead to me to an appointment with an OB/GYN. (I had seen my family doc about both issues twice in the last year and he didn't seem overly concerned about either issue.)
I thought the GYN was the one to help us figure out our difficulties conceiving, which we've never had before, as he asked a ton of questions and seemed more concerned with my slightly changing thyroid numbers. My husband was so pleased with the doc and his questions that he left just as the physical part of the exam was starting because the doc was 1.5 hours behind schedule and my husband hadn't anticipating needing to be gone from work so long, so he had an appointment to get to. The doc did the internal exam and sat back on his chair and said I had " a lot of cysts on my ovaries and they needed to come out." I asked what alternate treatments were possible and he said " your ovaries are not normal, they are the size of baseballs and there is a chance of cancer." I asked the possiblilty of cancer and he said 5%. I asked if removal of the ovaries meant the uterus too and he said, "he saw no reason to leave it." I was in shock to say the least, so I asked no more questions. He wrote up the surgery papers, told me to call if I had questions, which he said he knew I would and sent me to meet with his scheduling nurse. I was in a world of disbelieve and when his nurse came to get me to schedule the surgery. I told her I couldn't do it, so it's not scheduled, but we did go through the pre-op information.
I came home and "lost it" when I called my husband.
I can't eat, I can't sleep, I cry all the time, I'm scared to death. My husbands not sleeping well either.
My husband called to schedule a meeting with the doc.
What kind of questions do I ask?
Should I ask for a MRI or the CA-125 lab test?
I'm afraid of the bowel prep and I know I won't sleep the night before the surgery. I'm obviously terrified of the surgery and the recovery. I'm afraid of the sudden and forever hormone changes. I'm afraid I have cancer. I'm sad to know I'll never have my period.
I'm having a hard time concentrating on day to day activities.
Sorry this is long.
I could just use any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm scared!

I just checked out a book from the library. What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause, Balance your hormones and your life from 30 to fifty, by JOhn R.Lee, M.D., Jesse Hanley, M.D., and Virginia Hopkins. I wish I had read this before hand. I did a lot of research before I made my decision but it might be worth checking out especially if you really want another child. I hope this helps.
Kat
Unread 07-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith11953
My husband and I have been trying to conceive #5 for the last year, which along with heavy periods, which I just thought were "normal" for me, is what lead to me to an appointment with an OB/GYN.
Dear Smith:

Welcome to HysterSisters I think you would benefit from a 2nd or 3rd OB/GYN medical opinion. A different viewpoint may show other treatments to investigate since you are unsure about your family being complete.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register