BM??!!!! When??!!! I need help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BM??!!!! When??!!! I need help BM??!!!! When??!!! I need help

Unread 08-07-2011, 06:40 AM
BM??!!!! When??!!! I need help

Ok Ladies,

My surgery was Fri 8/5. Great news because my unidentified mass actually turned into being a fibroid embedded in my uterine wall. My gync/onc took a biopsy and initial is benign so I kept everything!!! This was great news for me and mine.

Anyway, I still had the equivalent of a mini Da Vinci and have several incisions and the bloating, swelling, and everything else.

What's driving me nuts is 48 hrs after and still no BM. I need to go, I feel it, but nothing. Taking stool softeners and Senekol with nothing.

When can I expect this and I'm anxious because I'm sure it's gonna hurt. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Re: BM??!!!! When??!!! I need help

I didn't have one until 2 days after surgery and I had da Vinci. Did you have a bowel prep before surgery? I did so I was cleaned out and it took awhile for the BM to happen. Walking helps and the nurses told me hot tea helps. Pain meds will cause constipation so they counter act the stool softeners and Senekol.

Good luck and hope your recovery goes well!
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:58 AM

I worried about that too! I had started taking Activa before I had my hysterectomy. Then while being pampered by mom, she kept giving me Metamucil, and lots of water! It was almost 4 days and it didn't hurt like I thought it would! Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2011, 07:57 AM

I drank tons of water, fresh green veggies and fruit. Also my fav senna based herb tea. It works like clock work. One cup at night is all that is needed for an easy bm in the morning. Still, after surgery, I was day 3 before back to normal in that arena.

Hang in there! Hugs!
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Hi, 4 days post op and still waiting. I pass gas and feel movement, but nothing. Have been taking pain med only at night,Ibuprofen during day. Colace, peppermint tea and a prune a day. Will look for prune tea recipes today, that stuff has to come out someday, and I'm counting. Best Wishes
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:40 AM

In the UK they don't do bowel prep to make you feel better it took me 6 days post op to have a bowel movement. Everything was hard in there and the pain meds make it worse,

I know this sounds bad but I was so desperate to have one... and I know for me greesey food does it so I went to my local Mcdonalds got a cheeseburger and by the time I got home no word of a lie it was like magic I felt so much better and actually cried tears of joy...

hurt to pass the first part because the stool softeners don't work for everhything in your bowel but the rest was a lot easier ((sorry I know TMI!))
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:53 AM

I would caution you to not go to crazy on this topic! It has been a doozy of a morning for me. I suffer chronic constipation on a good day. I take stool softeners and MOM on a daily basis, along with a high fiber diet in my "normal". I began my routine when I got home from the hospital. This a.m. the flood gates opened and zapped me with diarrhea. Good to be cleaned out but WOW has it taken me down a lot!

Be careful what you ask for!
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:11 AM

It was Day 6 for me for the first BM.... I had been soooo emptied out by the bowel prep, plus wasn't given zilch to eat in hospital until Day 3 evening.... So there wasn't much there! Once home on Day 4(after eating a good breakfast in hospital) Was eating lots of healthy food, including greens, vegs, apple a day. Finally bought some prune juice and peppermint tea.... It's a happy day when you finally have that first one. Oh, my..... pretty sad for that to be a happy day!
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:23 AM

I am so happy that you guys are here! I want to have a bm more than I've ever wanted anything in my life!! lol Okay, seriously, it would be so nice to have that part be done!
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:37 AM

I agree with the poster who said greasy foods helped. I was eating really well but one mourning had

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register