Any recommended items I may want to pack? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any recommended items I may want to pack? Any recommended items I may want to pack?

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Any recommended items I may want to pack?

Hi ladies.
I am new on here, having the surgery in less than 2 weeks and I am starting to panic! Any recommended items I may want to pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2013, 01:23 AM
Re: Living in Alaska

Loose panties and gown (like actually go buy some that are a size or two bigger). Anchorage has had a very bad cold snap so make sure you have something warm. Also, you are going to want a BIG fluffy pillow for the ride home (hold it to your stomach when on bumpy parts of the road to help brace your abdomin.) You will also want it for in the hospital to have somethin to help you lay on your side. Maybe some crossword books or something of the sort to help pass time in pre-op and for after. A sleeping mask may be useful if you have problems sleeping with lights on. Ear plugs if you get unlucky like me and have a loud family come visit your roommate while trying to sleep. Your toothbrush cuz the hospital ones suck. Shampoo and soap if you are going to be there a while. A donut to sit on in the car for the ride home. That goes with the pillow. Even tho you are not having anal surgery, you will more likely than not have a catheter and I'm here to tell ya that, that area will feel the bumps. The road to Soldonta is bumpy and I promise it will help. iPod if music helps sooth you. Any of your meds that you normally take just incase. You will most defiantly want Chapstick. Your lips will feel dry after surgery and if they are already dry from the winter, they will feel worse. Eye drops will be good. My eyes always feel very dry after surgery.

God bless in your recovery.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:21 AM
Re: Any recommended items I may want to pack?

A robe for those walks around the hospital after surgery, cell phone and charger, and your favorite lip balm/chapstick.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2013, 06:45 AM

I brought a heating pad with me. It was amazing. It helped with my pain so much. I brought ear plugs and eye mask. Also helpful. Pillow and blanket for the ride home as well. I had big panties and a pj shirt with slippers to wear home.
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM

I took a night gown (thankful to get out of that hosital gown), a robe for the hallway walks. Most helpful to me was a small soft pillow to hold my tummy. I used it all the time even to sit up and to get back in the bed. Then I really was thankful for my cell phone. A very good distraction, as well as keeping you in touch with the real world. Don't forget the charger. Chap Stick a must as anesthesia and oxygen really dries out your lips.
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM

I packed light! Wore home the same jogging suit that I wore in (but sure wasn't jogging!) lol. Lip gloss and something for dry mouth-I used vitamin c drops and peppermints. Have a pillow in the car I put it over my tummy with the seatbelt buckled over it. Best of luck to you. I'm 7 weeks out and so glad I had it done!!
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM

First pray
Night gown
Robe
Slippers
Vaseline for lips and skin
Underwear one or two size up
Socks
Toothpaste & toothbrush
Mouthwash
Loose clothing for when it is time to go home.
Abdominal binder can be gotten from hospital.
Drink a lot of water before surgery. It helps your veins for that IV and after the cath was removed I had my first pee right at 1 hour.
Prune juice and apple juice was great for first BM. My nurse warm the prune juice and in about 4 hours I had my first BM.
And walk asap. Start off with short walks with the nurse. Then you walk as much as.possible.
Yogurt should be in your diet before and after surgery for all that antibiotics you will be have. Try to get your body ready for surgery at least 7 days before the sooner the better. My doc and mother gave me all this advice. And I have had very uneventful recovery. I am so happy.
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Depends on how long you will probably be in the hospital. I was there about 32 hours from pre-op to discharge. The gown was fine for this amount of time. I wore the same clothes in as out (yoga pants and comfy tee), a pad or two for the oozing, eye mask, ear plugs, phone and charger, puzzle book, comb, lotion, lip balm, toothbrush/toothpaste. I also brought a Visa gift card wih me forincidentals (none) and car fare home (Live in NYC and don't have a car or friend with car to take me home) Didn't use anything else. I didn't care how I looked; I'd just had major surgery!

The pre-op checkpoints has a good list.
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM

Chapstick, throat candies, fuzzy socks (my feet got cold), your own pads, clean underwear (I stuck to my own bikini underwear) a robe, yoga pants, toothbrush and toothpaste, a hairbrush, and a book. The hospital should supply soap and shampoo if you shower there, unless you prefer your own.
I packed more than I needed not sure how long I would be there, but stayed overnight only. I packed a couple days ahead of time so I wasn't stressing about it the night before.
Good luck with your surgery. See you on the other side.
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM

I'm with LHP1 and Fairyfaye- I was also in for about 32 hours and packed light. I wore in what I wanted to wear out (comfy too big yoga pants a must). I used the hospital toothbrush etc because I just didn't care enough to use my own, even though I took my own. (When tooth rushing time came the hospital brush and paste were sitting by the sink, and my own set was all the way cross the room in my bag... . Hospital brush wins that round!)
I used the hospital gown too, and was glad I did. Nurses kept wanting to see the incisions to check for infection; with the hospital gown this was similar to pulling up another blanket, since the gown is open in the back and I wasn't laying on it. I think it would have been harder in my own gown.
Best item I took: small extension cord so my phone was kept charging all night and could be by my side in bed. Used that with head phones most of the night.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register