Travel after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Travel after hysterectomy Travel after hysterectomy

Unread 02-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Travel after hysterectomy

Just enrolled on site. Diagnosed with uterine cancer 11 days ago, will undergo hysterectomy on 3/11. I am less freaked out about surgery than I am about cancer diagnosis. Doctor is optimistic surgery will take care of cancer. Husband will be traveling 10 days after surgery and I'm thinking of tagging along (rest, relax in warmer climate) probably not venture outside of hotel. What do others think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Re: Travel after hysterectomy

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but it sounds like you are catching things at an early stage when they are most treatable. For issues related to your diagnosis, we do have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out as well, if you'd like. There's lots of information and experienced ladies to help as you begin this journey.

Speaking of journeys, I'd definitely run travelling so soon by your doctor. Even if you'll be relaxing once you arrive, there's the stress of travel, and you'll be away from your doctors and home base if something would develop. Remember, you only get this one chance to heal properly.

Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way. You CAN do this!

Unread 02-27-2016, 11:07 AM

Where is your husband travelling to and how long will he be there? Keep in mind that you'll have a post-op appt or two with your doctor, so you'll need to be available for that.

Also consider that it's *possible* that you might have questions you need to call your doctor about or even that something might happen that requires medical attention. You want quality health care within reach.

Another factor: does hubby mind carrying bags for two? Because at 10 days, you're sure not carrying even a small one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2016, 11:32 AM

He's traveling to Las Vegas for 3 days and would be able to handle luggage. My doctor thought the trip was good idea but then my surgery was moved back a few days. I do plan on getting her opinion now that dates have changed. Thanks for your input. You brought up some good points. I'm worried about fatigue, pain at that point of recovery. Surgery is laparoscopic.
Unread 02-28-2016, 01:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis.

I had surgey on Friday 2/26 to remove everything. I had a Total Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. It went well and went home the same day.

I personally wouldn't see myself traveling to Vegas 10 days post op.

We do heal differently and you may heal quicker and you might be able to walk around but definitely not carrying any bags.

Are you driving there? That's another thing to consider as long road trip will hurt being in a seated position for so long.

I would definitely ask your doctor to see what they say.

Another option is to rent a wheelchair in case you get tired and need it to help you out.

Good luck 🍀
Unread 02-28-2016, 09:37 PM

hpi
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmillie View Post
Just enrolled on site. Diagnosed with uterine cancer 11 days ago, will undergo hysterectomy on 3/11. I am less freaked out about surgery than I am about cancer diagnosis. Doctor is optimistic surgery will take care of cancer. Husband will be traveling 10 days after surgery and I'm thinking of tagging along (rest, relax in warmer climate) probably not venture outside of hotel. What do others think?
I had robotic laparoscopic surgery Wednesday, February 17. Doctor cleared me to go on family vacation Friday, February 26. I did have a post op appointment with her on Thursday, February 25. The drive was approximately 6 hours but I did not drive. My doctor suggested I get out of car every hour and walk around a bit which I did. She also suggested I wear compression socks which I did. All this was to prevent blood clots which are always a concern after surgery. Just returned back home today (28th) and did not have any problems or issues of any kind. I did not do any shopping or a lot of walking....basically staying in a cabin and bonding with family.
Unread 02-28-2016, 10:30 PM

Had my surgery 2/15. Went with my husband on his business trip 1 week out. The 4 hour drive was ok. I was stiff after, but the 3 days in the hotel was amazing. We stayed on the concierge level, so I had healthy snacks and drinks just a few rooms down. It kept me from trying to do housework. I was able to walk on the treadmill as I felt comfortable, and rest as much as I wanted. By the time DH can back, I was ready to go out to dinner, and then relax at night. I highly suggest going. Also, if he can book a hotel with spa services,do not leave without a facial and a pedicure!!
Unread 02-29-2016, 06:58 PM

Thank-you for your response! If I go on the trip I will spend my days relaxing in our room or by the pool and ordering room service. No plans to venture out to gamble or sight see but the spa services will be a must.
Unread 02-29-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmillie View Post
Thank-you for your response! If I go on the trip I will spend my days relaxing in our room or by the pool and ordering room service. No plans to venture out to gamble or sight see but the spa services will be a must.
I'm not sure what kind of spa services you had in mind, but be aware that it's typically at least four weeks before your doc will clear you to take a bath, soak in a hot tub or swim.
Unread 02-29-2016, 07:26 PM

I was referring to pedicure or facial. I know I will not be able to use pool, hot tub, etc. I live in the Midwest so just being in a warmer climate sounds wonderful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register