myomectomy 3yrs fibroids back should I have another or hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

myomectomy 3yrs fibroids back should I have another or hysterectomy? myomectomy 3yrs fibroids back should I have another or hysterectomy?

Unread 05-29-2015, 01:10 AM
myomectomy 3yrs fibroids back should I have another or hysterectomy?

I had a myomectmy 3 years ago with the Davici procedure. Dr had to leave some fibiods in. I was still in pain during my periods. He told me that I had a lot of scar tissue. Now they are huge.10cm in size. And 7 cm. Heavy bleeding during my period and just uncomfortable. No quality of life. Everything revolves around my period and uterus..
I'm seeing a new doctor and he suggested I could have another myoctomecty or doing a hysterectomy and saving the ovaries. I'm very anemic. Needed to do iron infusions for 5 weeks prior to surgery. I scheduled a hysterectomy for June 10 which is just 2 weeks and I freaked out and changed it to a myomectomy.
I just heard about the ovaries shut down for a while and you go thru menopause state, weight gain, prolapse of bladder and colon and other things from this site. I am really scared. I don't know what to do? I even started seeing a therapist to help with the decision. Who I might add had a hysterectomy 30 years ago because there weren't options for her.
The pressure and pain of having multiple large fibroids inside and out of my uterus has caused me to not have a social life or enjoy doing things. I'm also having horrible heartburn from the pressure.
There is a chance that I may still have pain and bleeding if I do the myeoctomy or should I just do the hysterectomy leaving the ovaries and hope for the best
I'm a nervous wreck. I'm currently 37. Help anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Re: myomectomy 3yrs fibroids back should I have another or hysterectomy?

It's such a hard decision.

I think if I had a myomectomy, and everything came back so big and quickly, and at your younger age, meaning it could likely happen again, I would seriously consider a hysterectomy, but leaving everything that is healthy.

I had a hysterectomy for large fibroids. I seriously considered the myomectomy, but knew that there was a significant chance of reoccurrence. I wouldn't have minded the possible need for another future surgery, but I think that the U.S. healthcare system may be going to heck in the coming years, making elective surgery difficult to obtain.

Thus, I choice the hysterectomy. Most women who retain their ovaries don't have any menopausal symptoms, or if they due, it's short-lived. The ovaries get their primary blood source from the uterine artery, which has to be cut during surgery. Their back-up source is the ovarian artery, which should take over fine.

I never had any menopausal symptoms. The fibroids are going permanently. I chose to keep my cervix, making recovery easier. I have no ill-effects from the surgery, except a slight impact in intimacy (less vaginal lubrication and less intense orgasm).

I don't regret it at this point, although I need to wait longer to make a final determination.

Best of luck in your decision-making.
Unread 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Re: myomectomy 3yrs fibroids back should I have another or hysterectomy?

I am two weeks post opp and am so happy I made the decision to have a hysterectomy (removed uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes - kept ovaries). I have dealt with horrible cramps my entire life due to fibroids and then found out recently that had cysts as well and just don't want to deal with it. I'm 43 and pretty healthy overall and was tired of being in pain.
I will be honest the first week was tough, but I'm feeling so much better at this point and not looking back. It's a big decision, but you need to listen to your body. If after 3 years the fibroids came back full force, what's to say it won't continue? Yes, you are young, but you also have a lifetime ahead of you to not be in pain any longer!!
Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register