Update and ? about LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update and ? about LAVH Update and ? about LAVH

Unread 01-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Update and ? about LAVH

Hi, I went to the dr yesterday for the cystometrics exam, I didn't get to post because I got stranded at the dr office for about an hour because the car wouldn't start. THen I get home and the New computer I got wouldn't work. I called tech support and it didn't have a modem installed in it or something. So I exchanged it and here I am...lol Anyway:
I DON'T have to have my bladder tied up with my hysterectomy. I do have to take Detrol LA now. Now, I still don't have a surgery date. They have to type up their report first and a few other minor details. I may have a date set by Friday. I hope.

I was reading other posts about LAVH. Will we really
still have a bunch of sutures inside? do princesses still
need pampered just as much as someone with TAH?
I have been trying to mentally prepare my household to
let them know I will need help, Will I? This may sound
bad but I WANT to be able to lay around and relax
as long as I need to, but I don't know how long I will need it.

Just wondering about Sutures, after pains etc, etc... please
let me know your stories.. Email me if you want to even. I need
lots of knowledge about this whole shebang. Thanks so much...
rebecca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Update and ? about LAVH

Hi Rebecca,

Yes, a LAVH is still major surgery, and there will be lots of internal stitches. An organ is being removed and other things need to be attached somewhere else. Externally you'll have 3 little incisions instead of 1 big one.

You will still have restrictions on lifting and housework, just like with a TAH. Some ladies go back to work a little sooner after LAVH than TAH but it depends when your DR releases you to resume normal activities.

I had a TAH so I can't really tell you how it is to recover from a LAVH, I'm sure someone will be along who can help with that!

Best wishes
Unread 01-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Update and ? about LAVH

HI txlynn,
WELCOME!!!!!!! You found just the place to ask as many questions as you like! I had my LAVH on dec. 6. My recovery was 7 weeks. The normal recovery time is about 6-8 weeks, but it varies because everyone heals diffently. It is important that you get plenty of rest. There is also a list of DO's and DONT's on the HS homepage under postop. This provides you with a list of the things you should not do. Mainly you will just try to rest, eat, and walk at first. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that even though you are not having a TAH you will still have anywhere from 50-100 stitches internally!! I hope everything goes well! GOOD LUCK!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Update and ? about LAVH

Yes, you will still need to be pampered. We have the same work done on the inside, minus the bigger incision and the issues that go with it. Therefore, we have the same internal healing to do.

You will need help!!! You will need lots of rest and you will need to follow the princess rules.

I needed some extra help for longer than 6-8 weeks from my family. I got tired more easily for several months post op. I got sore if I did very much and it took a while before I worked up to my regular workload. Meanwhile, I solicited help from my family.

One of the best tips I got was to stay in my pajamas longer than I really needed to. It helps! It sends the "I am not all healed yet, and I still need help" message. Besides, they are more comfortable with the gas and the swelly belly going on.

Good Luck!
Unread 01-22-2003, 03:49 PM
More questions

Thanks to your replies thus far...
I have a few more ..lol, sorry I act like such a worry wart.

1. Will it still be painful to get up and down? my reason
to ask , My bed is pretty low to the ground. It's just a mattress
and box spring, no frame (yet).

2. Will they allow SO in my room? we aren't legally
married. (I think this is one of those things i'll have to mention
at the pre op maybe). I don't want them to be rude to him and
not let him in recovery or something.

3. I've heard several stories about women who have to go to the
ER within a day or two after getting out. I'm not sure if it's
because of infection or busting the sutures. What are
the most common risks? My ex Sis in Law even caught
pneumonia, probably for not doing the coughing excersises
that the respritory therapist used to come make people do
after anesthesia.

Rebecca.. i'm sure I'll think of many more questions as the
time draws nearer. meanwhile I read thru the posts of other
ladies, usually my similar ?s are found.
Unread 01-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Update and ? about LAVH

I have a friend who had surgery a few months before I did. She was getting up and down much sooner than I did. I would not count on getting up and down, esp. right away. Maybe you can get a bed frame, they are quite inexpensive, $25-35 last time I checked.

Just make sure they know about SO. I'm sure they will work with you on that. My DH was not allowed in recovery. It was way too crowded and busy. He was sent to wait in the room.

Not sure what the most common risks are. Most of us did not have to go back to the ER, though. Just follow the Princess rules and it will minimize the possibilities. They still have you do coughing exercises because the risk of pnuemonia is still real.
Unread 01-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Update and ? about LAVH

Hi Rebecca,

I hope I can be of some help to you. I also had a LAVH/BSO on 9/13/02.

Yes, it will be tough getting up and down for a little while, roughly a week or 2. I also had a pillow behind my back when I was sitting on the couch to keep me closer to the edge. It hurt to sit back all the way, pulling on stomach.

They should allow your SO in your room. The Dr will come out after surgery and let whomever is there with you know how the surgery went and how you are doing. Also will tell them that you are in recovery.

As long as you follow your Dr's orders once you are released from the castle you should be fine. Some ladies do get infections afterwards but there really isnt a whole lot that you can do before hand to prevent it. Hospitals are full of nasty germs. They should make you do those breathing treatments in the castle. I had to do them and the nurses would stay there will I did it to make sure I was doing it. I followed all instructions to a T because I did't want to go back.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register