just found out i have fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just found out i have fibroids just found out i have fibroids

Unread 05-29-2003, 03:38 PM
just found out i have fibroids

hey all;
i just had an annual gyn exam today, and found out i have fibroids. there are 3 of them, total, all on the left side. 2 are tiny, and one is 6 cm, he said it would be the size of an 8-10 week pregnancy. I did not have them when i was at this doctor in 8/2000, I moved away in 4/01 and back here in 6/02. My last gym exam was in 3/02....nothing was said about it....

my dr. does an ultrasound as a routine part of the exam, and he said to come back in 6 mo-1yr, unless i was having other troubles, like heavy bleeding, etc....any ideas or suggestions?? i am worried sick here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2003, 12:50 AM

Hi Trip92: Please try not to worry. At this point, your fibroids/uterus is not too enlarged. Your doctor probably feels it is safe to monitor your fibroids at this point. Most drs don't usually suggest hyst until uterus is 12 weeks pregnancy size. If your dr had an ultrasound done and everything looks ok, especially ovaries, he probably feels comfortable just waiting 6 months to a year to see how your fibroids progress.

Of course, if you are very worried, you can always get a second opinion - but I really believe your doctor is doing the right thing. Good luck to you!
Unread 05-30-2003, 05:14 AM

Uterine fibroids are benign growths in the uterus. They are the most common type of growth found if a woman's pelvis. They occur in about 20-25% of all women. Many women who have fibroids are not aware of them because the growths can remain small and not cause symptoms. Fibroids can cause problems because of their size, number, or location.

Fibroids may cause no symptoms and require no treatment. You should be checked by your DR on a regular (annual) basis, and be alert to warning signs (excessive bleeding, longer or more frequent periods, pain in the abdomen or lower back, pressure in the lower abdomen) indicating treatment may be required.

Treatment can include BCP's to control excessive bleeding, removal of the fibroids only (myomectomy and UAE are two methods) and as a final treatment after all other avenues have been pursued, hysterectomy.

As long as you make sure to go for annual checkups and be aware of any changes to your periods, wait and see is a good plan of action.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Hi,

In 1998, I was diagnosed with two fibroids, both about the size of walnuts. They never really gave me any problems at all until early last year, when I started having excessive and prolonged bleeding. At the time of my surgery last May, the fibroids had grown to the size of oranges and my uterus was the size of a cantelope (about 20-week pregnancy size.)

Fibroids are very common in women, and most of the time, they don't really cause any problems. I don't think you really need to worry right now. They may never grow and may never require any treatment.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 05-30-2003, 08:27 AM
same boat!!

I had my annual exam last May, dr said nothing unusual,
(for 6mos) previouse to that my periods started HURTING BAD, then last fall I had an EXTREMLY painful time, went to a dr, who was subbing for mine, he ordered an ultra sound(internal) and exturnal wooohooo
I kept having PAINFUL periods, then last dec dr said if it doesnt stop off the the GYN with u, well needless to say, february rolled around and I was FINISHED with the pain, went to the GYN, he said "YEP" you got a pretty big fibroid,(big orange) sized, and gave me many options , which I had already tried, so "we" (dr ,DH, and I) decided to do it, but, I wanted to wait till after school was out(Im in special ed)LOL not in it, teach
he said fine its your body and you have to deal with the pain, as long as there is no cancer or excessive bleeding its ok to wait,
so in conclution of my rambling,LOL
maybe he wants to watch it, but , as my dr sais, its not the size its the symtoms!! if its terrible go back or get another opinion!!
hope that helps!!
Sheila
Unread 05-30-2003, 09:21 AM

Hi there;

I was diagnosed with fibroids on April 3, 2003. I was so relieved when the doctor said I had fibroids. Bleeding had been so bad on the first two days of my period, I had to call in sick to work. Also, my stomach looked like I was about 3 months pregnant, but I thought I was just getting older and there was nothing I could do about it. Other than that, I didn't have any symptoms. The doctor said he felt "two, somewhat large fibroids," (about the size of grapefruit) and scheduled ultra sound.

The ultra sound detected four firbroids - 2 grapefruit size and 2 about baseball size.

Surprise! In my surgery they discovered eight fibroids that had all grown together to form one giant fibroid about the size of a large cantalope.

For me, I was thrilled to have the surgery so I wouldn't have to schedule my life around my period. I'm also glad to say that at 5 weeks post op that my stomach is flatter than before surgery (at least in the morning before I start moving around). This week is the first week I've felt pretty darn good and am getting "back to normal." I'm a happy camper.

Whatever you decide...good luck to you.

Kathy
Unread 05-30-2003, 11:10 AM

Hey! Like you, I had skipped a year between exams....not something I usually do. I started cramping last September and thought it was just "that time of the month." However, the cramping would not quit and after 3 days of major pain, I went to the Dr. and they immediately sent me for an appendectomy. That's when they discovered my fibroid. I went for an ultrasound later (go figure) and the fibroid was about 7cm and my uterus was enlarged. I tried BCP's for three months but it only let me know exactly when I would start hurting. I took 3 months of Lupron before my surgery last week. The Lupron had begun to wear off and my uterus and fibroid equaled a 3 month pregnancy (a little more). (Fibroid was about the size of small watermelon, uterus was larger than softball) I had TLVH last week and feel sooo much better. However, that is just my story. If your fibroids are not causing pain, excessive bleeding, bladder pressure, etc. I say WOW! Your Dr. just does not want to do anything drastic for something that is not causing you any trouble at this point. If you are not comfortable, check with another Dr., but I'd go with the wait and see for now.

What ever you choose, you have come to a wonderful place for info and support. There are books to read about fibroids as well....just check with your Dr. Don't mind the overly opinionated ones...they still have good info. Research and take care. Discuss all concerns with your Dr.. Post any questions or thoughts here.

Gokd Bless you!
crickett283
Unread 05-30-2003, 12:37 PM

My Merck Manual says up to 40% of all women have fibroids - usually symptomless. Fibroids are a benign growth.

I had fibroids for 10 years before I needed a hyst.
Unread 05-30-2003, 01:24 PM
just found out I have fibroids

Hello:

Well, you are now among the millions of women that have fibroids! I had them for at least 10 years before just having a hyst a few weeks ago.

Up until that time they gave me no trouble at all. I even had two children vaginally without any problems during that time period.

Yours are quite small now, and if they are causing no symptoms, just relax and the dr will monitor them as time goes on.

I had even forgotten that I had fibroids until they started causing me trouble (pelvic pain/pressure, bladder issues).

There are lots of internet resources to help educate you on fibroids. Be content that 99% of them are benign and stay that way.

Hope that helps!

Caryn
Unread 05-31-2003, 07:39 AM
fibroids

My fibroids started llike yours, 6 cm., and no symptoms at all. Apparently it is attached by a stalk to the outside of my uterus. My gyn. found them during an annual exam because it had tipped my uterus. She was not concerned at all, said wait and see and I came back every six months for about two years. This winter I actually felt it "pulling" and growing, started having to urinate frequently, and realized that the weight that has started to accumulate around my middle is not just middle age spread. After much agonizing I have decided to have a TAH on June 11 because I think I have gradually adpated to more and more discomfort as part of being normal. I feel like I am pregnant, must eat small meals, urinate frequently, am uncomfortable, look five months pregnant....so though I am dreading the surgery , I think after it is taken care of I will feel huge relief. There are so many web sites on the internet about fibroids, you will find lots of reassuring information. I did visit a natural doctor recently, and she made suggestions to shrink fibroids, eat all organic meats and poultry and dairy so you are not consuming additional hormnoes which make fibroids grow, cut way back on caffeine, use a progresterone cream to counteract excess estrogen and take primrose oil....I feel like my fibroid had grown to much to expect these remedies to shrink it but perhaps if I had started when I first learned I had a fibroid???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register