Lots of Post-op questions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of Post-op questions! Lots of Post-op questions!

Unread 08-22-2009, 05:29 AM
Lots of Post-op questions!

I finally had my Hyst on the 19th.(i was put off on 5th & 12th) My staples/ insision burns alot! I was cut from Hip to Hip! Also, alittle drainage. I feel better than i thought i would but, I cannot stand up straight. Had a small Tummy tuck also....is this why? I was up walking in the hospital 2 hours after recovery. All the nurses said i was doing great but, did i start overdoing it from the start?
Also, now i cannot sleep more than a few hours at a time. Lastnight was my first night home....am i still on Hospital time? Please tell me this will get better!!
I already feel so much happier mentally... everyone says the expression on my face is better and the tone of my voice is happier!Some people are even saying that my skin looks better! Are these things going to stick with me or am i just having some of those good days?
I still haven't had a bowel movement. This concerns me! I have been on very little pain meds!
I also want very little to eat! Everything taste's so stong. But i am drinking tons of water!
I am so happy to have this overwith but, jut had some unanswered questions!
Happy to be on the other side for sure!
Also, is it good or better to wear firm holding panties and clothing? Or just loose things fo a while? Sorry for all the questions! But, Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Re: Lots of Post-op questions!

Everything you are asking about is perfectly normal. It can be difficult to stand upright--I had a cane that I used to help for the first few days. Sleeping is a real problem for some of us. At first it's probably a discomfort thing but it seems to be a hormonal one as well. It may just get better on its own or you may need to discover what works for you--try lots of pillows at first. It took me 6-7 days for BMs. My doctor said that the narcotics really disrupt digestion. Keep drinking water because it will wash out the drugs you've been given which will improve your condition greatly. I couldn't handle tight clothing--still can't but everyone is different. Do whatever makes you comfortable and happy. Rest, rest, rest and follow all your doctor's recommendations. Keep referring to this site because it is loaded with good advice and support. I'm 6 weeks into recovery. The beginning was rough for me but very soon you will feel so good. You already seem to have a positive attitude--that will help tremendously. Keep the faith and soon we will all feel like new women!
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:16 AM

The first week is rough. I am day 10 today. First day I have not used the percocet for pain. It is slow going; we all have to learn to be patient! The sisters are right. This is a process and every day is a little different. Don't lift, twist or other such nonsense! I heard that phrase on this site and thought it merited repeating. The nurses on my floor stressed getting up and walking 3 times a day. I still do that, even though I am tired. Then, lay down and rest! Drink lots of water; I , too, have lost my tastebuds but eat smaller amounts. The sisters say it comes back! Blessings to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2009, 08:31 AM

You're doing just fine. Don't worry about not standing up straight; you just got out of surgery 3 days ago!!! Take slow walks around your home to build your endurance, but make sure to get plenty of rest.

As far as a BM is concerned, did you have a bowel prep? If you did, and you're all 'cleaned out', it may take you a little longer to have one.

Continue to drink plenty of water - it will help flush the drugs out of your system as well as keep you hydrated and don't worry about your appetite. Trust me, it WILL return...!

You also might want to wear loose clothing for awhile so your incision has a chance to air out and heal properly. Sometimes wearing tight undies and such can trap moisture around the incision area, prolonging the time the site takes to heal up.

Each day will be a better one - just don't overdo it, no matter how good you feel. You only have one chance to heal right - don't blow it...!!!
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:54 AM

I found I couldn't get enough water for about a week. At least it felt that way.
I guess the system is trying to get rid of all the yucky dope they cram into you in the hospital.
I am 10 days out and many foods I used to love still taste funny. Some I can't even think about eating.
A good friend who had heart surgery earlier this year said he had that problem and his doctor told him it was related to the anesthesia and should go away over time.
I guess I should be glad. I seem to be sitting on my butt all day and still losing some weight, which I desperately need to do!

Unfortunately, I never did lose the taste for ice cream. LOL!

I remember the big sippy cup full of ice water after surgery as being one of the BEST DRINKS EVER.
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:15 AM

I had a little bit different surgery than you but I could not walk all the way straight for a little while. I am over weight & used a walker for about 5 days on & off. It is just all the work that they did inside I believe. I didn't sleep well for a few weeks. That is pretty normal for a lot of us. I had no appetite & ended up eating oatmeal cookies as my first solid food. Try to eat some yogurt & get a little bit of fiber to get things going. You can use prunes or prune juice or applesauce. I chose to wear big cloths because I didn't want anything on my bladder. I guess that is a person comfort preference. I am glad you are on the other side now. Take it easy but walk slowly as much as you feel you can. It really will get everything going. Ask any questions you want. We are here to help!
Unread 08-22-2009, 11:44 AM

I haven't experienced all that you mention, but I've read enough here to know that it's all normal. I wasn't walking straight for close to two weeks, I didn't have any BMs until 4 or 5 days after surgery (take those stool softeners!), and absolutely LOOSE panties and clothing! Hope you're feeling better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register