Side Effects the doc doesn't tell you about | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Side Effects the doc doesn't tell you about Side Effects the doc doesn't tell you about

Unread 05-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Side Effects the doc doesn't tell you about

Hi there. I had a total hysterectomy on May 7. I'm 29. I'm having some weird (well weird to me) side effects.

I'm experiencing some peeing on myself when I get up and down. I'm also experiencing some severe night sweats (I thought I'd peed on myself!) and soaked my bed.

Is this normal? I am on HRT. I'm wearing Vivelle patch. I'm so young and new at this. This whole thing has me scared and wondering if I will ever feel normal again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Re: Side Effects the doc doesn't tell you about

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshollywood82 View Post
Hi there. I had a total hysterectomy on May 7. I'm 29. I'm having some weird (well weird to me) side effects.

I'm experiencing some peeing on myself when I get up and down. I'm also experiencing some severe night sweats (I thought I'd peed on myself!) and soaked my bed.

Is this normal? I am on HRT. I'm wearing Vivelle patch. I'm so young and new at this. This whole thing has me scared and wondering if I will ever feel normal again.
I love the title of your thread! At 5 days post op I had a huge list of " side effects the doctor didn't tel me about" I am so thankful for this website. Without it I would have thought I was so abnormal! The night sweats are normal, even if you kept your ovaries.After surgery we go through all kinds of weird temporary hormonal issues.If your on the HRT your dose may need to be adjusted, but usually the doctors have you wait a bit to see if it levels out. Call your doctor if your concerned. It may take a while for your bladder to " wake up" from the anesthesia which could be what is causing your urine leaking. You should call your doctor about this though, as it could also be something else. Only your doctor knows exactly what was seen and done inside you during your surgery, so I'd definitely put in a call about the leaking urine.
:cathugs:
Unread 05-12-2012, 12:22 PM

misshollywood82,

I'm so sorry that you had to have a hysterectomy at such a young age!!!! You are not alone and you will feel normal again. I know that there are lots of young hystersisters out there and many more ladies that would love to be there for you through your journey of healing. Please continue to read and share and we'll do our best to help you through.

The night sweats are totally normal. Your body is going through a lot right now and even though you're on the patch...which will help...you may still have many of the side effects of menopause. Give yourself some time to heal and be sure to keep your advised of your symptoms.

Check out the link below, this is a place to meet other ladies that had surgery during the same week as you...it's a great place to share your stories and help support each other.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=480891

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshollywood82 View Post

You are just beginning to heal and are just a few days post op. Inform your doctor of the menopause symptoms as the additional stress on your body could warrant trying a higher dose of hormone to eliminate the night sweats. Your level of concern and pursuit of relief will dictate the need for your Doctor to do something other than let you struggle and suffer. If the night sweats are distressing for you, then advise your Doctor how much they are disturbing your sleep and your sense of well being. There is no sense in suffering. You can put your energy into healing instead of changing clothes and sheets 2 or 3 times a day! 29 is young to be experiencing this change and you have our empathy. I am 47 and it has been a big adjustment for me at my age. The bladder incontinence issue is probably due to stress on your pelvic floor after being traumatized by the surgery. It could also be a sign of something else so notify your doctor that urine is leaking when you are using your abdominal muscles to sit down and raise up. I found that my pelvic floor muscles really improved in their ability to push and hold in urine starting on day #8 and a little more strength comes back every day. I am now doing my Kegal exercises several times a day now that I have better control over those muscles. Kegal exercises involve the pelvic floor muscles you use to interrupt your urine flow. You should feel more control over this area in the next several days. Notify your Doctor if there is no change in your control over those muscles. This is a great place to come and check in often to find information and get support. Happy healing and keep your spirits up, you will get better!
Unread 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM

The peeing hopefully will sort itself out after a few days more recovery, but do ask your doctor if it doesn't.

I think that it is recomended that you don't start doing the pelvic floor exercises too soon, as it also tightens the tummy muscles, and could pull stitches as well.

My tips for the night sweats, while the HRT levels are stabilised, are
a soft towel over your pillow, to wipe your face during the night
another towel between your legs, to help cooling
Throwing the covers off - a lot!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register