How Far Is Too Far? (to walk) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Far Is Too Far? (to walk) How Far Is Too Far? (to walk)

Unread 01-12-2008, 05:04 PM
How Far Is Too Far? (to walk)

Thanks all. I walked with DH out to the mailbox this afternoon, and felt like I could have gone to the corner - which was only about half the distance I'd already gone. It definitely was not too far - it was only aout half the distance I'd been walking in the hospital.

I'll start with that though, and just add a little at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 10:48 AM

since i live in michigan and its cold- I started with laps around the house - and what i did and still do- is wore my pedometer so i knew i was getting in more steps each day.

By mid -second week i walked at our local high school about 3/4 mile- then 3rd week i increased gradually- time and speed. Going into 4th week and yesterday i logged 2 miles in 40 min. - a mile shy of what i did pre-surgery in that time-but it was enough...
Unread 01-13-2008, 11:32 AM

Hi Sommerdal

I know the distance doesn't seem too far, but at the same time you need to remember that you have hundreds of internal stitches after the amount of work you had done during your surgery. Your doctor can give you the best judgement of what you can handle.

I had extensive work and lots of biopsies done. After surgery, I was allowed to walk to around my cul de sac of 5 houses twice a day. After that I was given the ok to add the distance from one telephone pole to the next every time I went out.

You don't want to jolt your insides with the impact of power walking. Those stitches could potentially tear and cause unnecessary damage that you would regret. That's not to say you shouldn't be walking. You definitely should. Just remember to be kind to your body while it heals. You made the decision to have this surgery for your health and well being. Grant yourself the opportunity to heal. Then you'll have the rest of your life to enjoy pain free wonderful walks.

Take it easy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register