Is it acceptable to ask to be put on sick leave until my hysterectomy is booked? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it acceptable to ask to be put on sick leave until my hysterectomy is booked? Is it acceptable to ask to be put on sick leave until my hysterectomy is booked?

Unread 11-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Re: Is it acceptable to ask to be put on sick leave until my hysterectomy is booked?

Regarding sick leave, will you need it for your surgical recovery? Do you have short-term disability coverage? I was ok'd for six weeks disability leave for the hysterectomy so only needed to use 5 sick days. If you have this kind of coverage you could use whatever sick days you have now. You probably shouldn't be working with or without the drugs. Sorry that you are suffering so much pain right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Re: Is it acceptable to ask to be put on sick leave until my hysterectomy is booked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie123 View Post
Regarding sick leave, will you need it for your surgical recovery? Do you have short-term disability coverage? I was ok'd for six weeks disability leave for the hysterectomy so only needed to use 5 sick days. If you have this kind of coverage you could use whatever sick days you have now. You probably shouldn't be working with or without the drugs. Sorry that you are suffering so much pain right now.
Hi there I'm in canada,,, a little different here I suspect...
I have 14 weeks of sick time I can use, which is a blessing.

I am really frustrated now...heard today that my surgery will not be until the new year..... I went to see my gp about this, and he said there was nothing he could do because he does not have any influence over surgery bookings.
I'm am so discouraged, and frustrated.
I was put off work until January, and then will need time afterwards...uggg

I'm not in excruciating pain all the time....in the mornings yes, and through the day I get cramps that "catch" me.....my back has a constant "labour type" low grade pain....it's when I don't take anti inflammatories or narcotics that things get bad lol

I feel like a wuss.... And this waiting is driving me up a wall..... I am used to being busy
Unread 11-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Re: Help/advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSig View Post
Hi Shuniah, reading your post, particularly regarding the pain and gynae making you believe it's in your head brought a sense of déjàvu.

While there are some differences, I'm 50 and went through early menopause at 44, I started suffering from pain that just became increasingly worse until it got to the point where it was unbearable and was requiring narcotic pain relief on a regular basis. I had numerous tests done including endoscopy, colonoscopy, internal scans etc,etc...
Basically the only abnormality they found was that I was unable to completely empty my bladder - done ultrasounds immediately after I went for a wee, this resulted in constant urinary tract infections and a number of kidney infections. As I had a prolapse I questioned my gp as to whether this somehow was causing my pain, she confirmed that it very likely would as the prolapse was stage 3 and actually you could see what I now know was the cervix bulging out.

On an admission to hospital for a kidney infection I was also referred to a gynae, he was horrible, said my prolapse wasn't bad at all and basically made me feel like it was all in my head. Looking back, he had made up his mind before he even examined me based on the information from the emergency doctor that admitted me, the gynae only did a very quick examination with me laying flat on my back, he didn't even use a speculum. In the end he put me on antispasmodics, and said that he could do a laparoscopy - which would have put me at least $1000 out of pocket, and his words were he doubts they would find anything.

By this time (April this year) I'd become very depressed was pretty much in constant pain and my quality of life was zilch! By August and my 3rd kidney infection my GP referred me to a 2nd gynae and said not to mention anything about seeing another gynae as she believed that this would cloud his views.

By the time I saw this gynae I'd started bleeding on and off, this was terrifying as I hadn't had a period for 6 years. The 2nd gynae did a thorough examination and surprise, surprise said I had a severe prolapse and I would need a hysterectomy and repair done asap. Though because of the bleeds he wanted to do a hysteroscopy due to concerns of cancer as this would impact on the type of hysterectomy I needed. It was a relief to find out there was no cancer, the bleeding was caused by irritation due the prolapse. I had 2 cystoceles which was causing all my urinary symptoms and a rectocyle which resulted in constipation on top of everything else. The worst thing is that if nothing would have been done it could have resulted in permanent kidney damage.

Well I had a vaginal hysterectomy and repair almost 2 weeks ago and the gynae confirmed there was a lot of internal damage, particularly to my cervix as a result of a difficult labour with my eldest son which required forceps and I ended up with 3rd degree tearing.

Sorry for rambling, just your story sounded so familiar. I am a social worker in child protection and between April to September I was having frequent sick days due to not being able to work while I was on narcotics for pain. When I'd try and limit myself to brufen and tramal so I could go to work it was such a struggle because of the pain I got very little done.

I am relieved to say I since my hysterectomy the severe cramping pain which was a constant companion for almost 6 months is pretty much gone. I still am sorry and take brufen and panadol occasionally but it's nothing compared to the pain I had been having before surgery. I am so grateful for my GP who didn't doubt for a moment how much pain I was in (she is a woman by the way) and the gynae that performed the surgery - I feel they have given me my life back.

Sorry for rambling and the length of the post, you just need to keep pushing and asking questions. I wish you all the best. With your surgery and hope your outcome is as positive as mine.
Hi.....I needed to re read your post...
I went to my gp and because I can't be at work on narcotics he put me off..
My surgery still hasn't been booked, and I called the hospital...they are saying January now... I am so frustrated.... I do not have an official diagnosis, but what I do know is I want this over!
I was reading a lot on line last night... One article said if you do not have a diagnosis, do not have a hysterectomy....
I don't know what to do anymore....I am not in "constant pain". But there are days several days throughout the month that I am in bed....
I still feel like I am "loosing it"
I am hoping my sick time doesn't run out over the course of waiting , then recovery from the surgery.... So many considerations... I want to go back to work...when pain is manageable, but then it starts mid day with my pelvic area ...like pressure....or "pulls"
In the am my back pain is intense.... But again, not every day. It seems once my bleeding starts THAT pain lessons...

I am so tired....part of me wants to suck it up ...take narcotics...tell no one, and pretend that nothing is wrong.....
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:02 PM

I amso sorry that things are being dragged out so much for you. I used to get so frustrated with the length of waiting between appointments, and when I'd asked the gynae what I'd do in the months in between (work etc) he'd just shrugged and would look at me as if I were stupid.
My saving grace was mt gp, I have been seeing her for almost 10 years and she knows I don't complain for no reason so she just pushed for a 2nd opinion. I'm in Australia and I'm pretty sure our health insurance is very different to yours, so I'm not sure if that is an option for you.

Regarding your comment that you read if you don't have a diagnosis not to have a hysterectomy. I actually remember reading (not sure where) that if the pelvic pain lasts over 6 months and doesn't respond to other treatment then a hysterectomy would be warranted.

The narcotics is also a catch 22 situation as not only is the risk of addiction high, if you are on them for extended periods your tolerance will increase and they won't be as effective.

I feel so frustrated for you. I don't know if this is an option but could you go to your local emergency every time the pain gets very bad, hopefully they will get pushed into doing something. Years ago, I had a lot issues with gall stones, and would get severe colic, which at 1st one occurred every few weeks and thought it was heart burn, but eventually I was getting it on a daily basis. At the time we didn't have private health cover so my partner just kept taking me into emergency, after a few weeks they admitted me and scheduled emergency surgery which was lucky as it turned out the stones had obstructed my common bile duct, which apparently is life threatening.

One of the hardest things for me going through all this was that I felt I was totally losing control of my life. Usually I'm so in control, I hold a responsible job, I'm the mother of 3 adult children, and a very hands on grandma of my beautiful 3 year old granddaughter. i am very much a perfectionist (my partner says I'm OCD. Lol), but with the constant pain and infections I was having I felt I was losing grip on everything and no longer able to manage anything in my life. Then with the mixed messages from the doctors I started questioning my sanity and was not in a great place.

I just kept telling myself that I know my body and I know what I'm feeling and knew I just had to keep going to get somebody to listen.
You just need to keep believing in yourself and keep going back until you get some answers. Keep contacting your gynae and asking when he is going to book you in. I often felt that the way the 1st gynae spoke to me he though I was a malingerer and wasting his time. Just keep reminding yourself that you are paying good money for his service and He needs to take you seriously and provide you with a service.
Please let me know how things are going for you, I hope you start getting some answers soon.
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSig View Post
I amso sorry that things are being dragged out so much for you. I used to get so frustrated with the length of waiting between appointments, and when I'd asked the gynae what I'd do in the months in between (work etc) he'd just shrugged and would look at me as if I were stupid.
My saving grace was mt gp, I have been seeing her for almost 10 years and she knows I don't complain for no reason so she just pushed for a 2nd opinion. I'm in Australia and I'm pretty sure our health insurance is very different to yours, so I'm not sure if that is an option for you.

Regarding your comment that you read if you don't have a diagnosis not to have a hysterectomy. I actually remember reading (not sure where) that if the pelvic pain lasts over 6 months and doesn't respond to other treatment then a hysterectomy would be warranted.

The narcotics is also a catch 22 situation as not only is the risk of addiction high, if you are on them for extended periods your tolerance will increase and they won't be as effective.

I feel so frustrated for you. I don't know if this is an option but could you go to your local emergency every time the pain gets very bad, hopefully they will get pushed into doing something. Years ago, I had a lot issues with gall stones, and would get severe colic, which at 1st one occurred every few weeks and thought it was heart burn, but eventually I was getting it on a daily basis. At the time we didn't have private health cover so my partner just kept taking me into emergency, after a few weeks they admitted me and scheduled emergency surgery which was lucky as it turned out the stones had obstructed my common bile duct, which apparently is life threatening.

One of the hardest things for me going through all this was that I felt I was totally losing control of my life. Usually I'm so in control, I hold a responsible job, I'm the mother of 3 adult children, and a very hands on grandma of my beautiful 3 year old granddaughter. i am very much a perfectionist (my partner says I'm OCD. Lol), but with the constant pain and infections I was having I felt I was losing grip on everything and no longer able to manage anything in my life. Then with the mixed messages from the doctors I started questioning my sanity and was not in a great place.

I just kept telling myself that I know my body and I know what I'm feeling and knew I just had to keep going to get somebody to listen.
You just need to keep believing in yourself and keep going back until you get some answers. Keep contacting your gynae and asking when he is going to book you in. I often felt that the way the 1st gynae spoke to me he though I was a malingerer and wasting his time. Just keep reminding yourself that you are paying good money for his service and He needs to take you seriously and provide you with a service.
Please let me know how things are going for you, I hope you start getting some answers soon.
Hi.... You are right! I do know my body!
It took me from August until now with one surgeon. So a second opinion would take too long. I feel foolish because I am not "in pain" constantly like so many others on this site....but the last few months, cramps are pretty much everyday, with boating fatigue ..the pain in my back in the am is almost every day...ironically not when I'm bleeding, but prior to, and throughout the month.... So ya... I feel like I'm losing my mind lol

My gp did the same thing to me....looked at me like I was nuts.....he said "so. What's your question to me today"? As I sat crying in his office.....not sure from the frustration or simply hormones lol....

Regardless he put me off....

I received a call from the surgeons office today...he s gunna push for a date sooner than January

I too am professional.....and have rarely used sick time.....
Even the other male officers were cringing for me on the bad days lol

So today I spent the day reading about hysterectomies.....and weight gain lol
I cannot gain weight .... I haven't done anything physical since spring when I started with major symptoms.... I've always had cramps. And "pulls". But when the back cramps and heavy clots and bleeding started, I haven't done anything!

Did you have weight gain?
My gf had a hysterectomy a few years ago....she said she gained weight but it was because of no exercise and poor eating....I'm becoming such a worry wart lol. I am going to be as crazy as my dr looks at me as though I am lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register