How long does a Davinci hysterectomy take? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does a Davinci hysterectomy take? How long does a Davinci hysterectomy take?

Unread 11-05-2014, 10:11 AM
How long does a Davinci hysterectomy take?

Hi all. I am having a Davinci on 11-19, everything out excpet the left ovary. Any ballpark idea how long the surgery might take? Thanks and have a great day!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Re: How long does a Davinci hysterectomy take?

Hi! A lot depends on what methods your surgeon uses and what you've got going on in there - endometriosis, leaving ovaries or keeping, etc. I had a total hysterectomy (uterus and cervix), and a salpingectomy (Fallopian tubes), as well as a sacrocolpopexy (bladder prolapse repair.) I kept my ovaries. I was in surgery for about 3 1/2 hours. A lot of the time is spent with them docking the robot and getting everything ready. My surgeon said the actual hysterectomy part only takes about 20 minutes!
Unread 11-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. As I said, I am having EVERYTHING out excpet left ovary. Were you under the whole time they were prepping the robot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2014, 06:31 PM

Yes, it does depend on the doctor and all -- but I have heard most say that it takes 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Mine was 1-3/4 hours (yesterday) -- I left one ovary, but both tubes, uterus, and cervix were removed. She also excised more endo that had grown on my right abdominal wall/peritoneum.

I tried to see if I could stay awake longer this time vs. my earlier surgery. The pace was a bit more relaxed this time. I was on Versed, but my memories of it are fairly clear. I was wheeled into the room and saw the HUGE robot in the corner right away. I scooted over onto the OR table, laid my left arm down on the "board," talked briefly to the nurses, CRNA, and anesthesiologist, and within about 7 minutes of entering the room they put the mask on and I drifted off.

The last time I had surgery I didn't remember the mask....was already out. They gave me propofol first and so I was out after a mere 1 minute in the OR.

I was in the recovery room for 1-1/2 hours before they moved me to "stage 2" recovery, where I was for another hour (and my husband came to see me). I don't remember anything about State 1 recovery at all, though it is there that you are told to open your eyes, wiggle toes, and say a word or two.

Good luck!
Unread 11-05-2014, 06:36 PM

I agree with RescuePups it really depends on what you have going on, whether the doc encounters anything unanticipated, etc. It's a good question to ask at your pre-op appointment. I had uterus, tubes, cervix removed in what my doc called a "textbook" surgery - meaning it went according to plan with no surprises. I was in the OR for an hour and 15 minutes according to my daughter who was tracking me on the board. Spent about an hour in recovery and then back to the room. Went home the same day. I honestly don't remember even seeing the robot or the OR for that matter. Before they wheeled me down the hall the anesthesiologist put what he called a "margarita" in my IV. I was floating.

Good luck to you!
Unread 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM

I had dvTH/BSO plus repairs. The total hysterectomy took about 1 1/2 hrs and the repair work too about 2 hours. The only thing I remember is scooting over on the operating table and someone putting the oxygen mask on. That was all she wrote.

on your surgery. Let us know how you are. We are here for you.
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:51 PM

I had a Dvh total hysterectomy with BSO due to endo pain and I went into surgery at 7:30 and woke up in recovery at 9:30. I was knocked out as soon as I got in the OR so I saw nothing going on. I did see the robot over to the side when I got wheeled in there. Last thing I remember is them putting a pretty purple gas mask thing on me and telling me to breath and then that was it.
Unread 11-05-2014, 11:34 PM

Wow, I was out before we left the pre op room! Mine was 5 1/2 hours because I had a ruptured endometrioma, so they were cleaning me out. They took everything but one ovary. My doc anticipated 3 1/2 hours. I guess I didn't realize how much longer mine was!
Unread 11-06-2014, 02:53 AM

Thank you all so much for your answers. I really appreciate it!!
Unread 11-06-2014, 05:29 AM

I think mine was about 2.5 but not really sure. I remember going into the OR, moving over to the table, hearing the nurse tell me she was giving me my shot and the next thing I remember is waking in my hospital room with my husband telling me family was coming to visit. Found out I had endometriosis again that was bad, but no major symptoms. I had everything out, uterus, cervix, tubes & ovaries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register