I feel like a big baby. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I feel like a big baby. I feel like a big baby.

Unread 10-16-2002, 01:01 PM
I feel like a big baby.

I am scheduled to have my TAH BSO on Nov 19th. I have been talking to my sister about it and telling her I know I will be in pain after the surgery and that is the main thing I am scared of. She tells me she had a Cesarian delivery last year and she says the TAH BSO surgery is the same thing and that I am being a big baby and she was up and about 2 days after her cesarian and she tells me I am acting stupid. Please help. I want some advice. I don't think TAH BSO surgery is anywhere near the same as a cesarian delivery. Anyone out there had both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2002, 01:07 PM
boy is she wrong!

Big diff. Sis kept her ute, you won't. Lot more internal incisions with a hyst, no matter how they do it. Different hormone fluctuations than pregnancy too.

You are a realist and that is a pretty grown up thing to be.

Not had a c-section but I don't need to have had one to figure this one out. Just looking at it from an anatomical point of view.

Don't let anyone minimize what is about to happen to you. It's easy for people to discount fear instead of responding to it.

Take sis to www.pelvicfloor.com if she refuses to see the light.
Unread 10-16-2002, 01:10 PM
I feel like a big baby.

I've had 3 C-sections and am scheduled for my TAH tomorrow. From everything I've read here, and from others I've talked to, it's pretty unanimous that the pain from a hysterectomy is a little worse ... different at least. I've been told to expect worse gas pains than we had with C-sections. I'm not too worried, though, as I remember my pain being well-controlled with the C-sections and I'm sure it will be this time as well.

It is hard to convince other people that it's going to be a slower recovery, though. Even my dh, a very supportive man, seems to compare it to my previous C-sections and "minimize" a little what I'm getting ready for.

For more information from hystersisters comparing the two surgeries, there have been lots of posts on that. Just do a search on C-section. Hope this helps!

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2002, 01:46 PM
Tonya

Hun, you tell your sis that until she has a hyst she has no idea how different the two are. You are right NO way can you compare a hyst to a C section. A Hyst IS major surgery and it is not to be treated lightly.
I feel the thing that is really scareing you is the thought that you will be in pain afterwards. Hun I woke up in my room with NO actual pain, I felt uncomfortable but no more than a bad period. The Morphine was wonderful, someone could have come into my room and pointed a chain saw at me and i would not have cared LMAO. The nurses and DR's will NOT let you be in pain, mine were brilliant. You will also more than likely be very sleepy anyway and that is a good thing.
I hope that you will have the support you need when you get back home. Do not let your sister or anyone tell you after a week or so that you should be doing better. Recovery is about 6 to 8 weeks. We all recover at different rates and so you can not compare to others. You MUST have plenty of rest, one chance to recover properly, and over doing or pushing yourself will only put your recovery back or cause complications.
I wish you the best of luck hun, may your surgery and recovery go well and smoothly. Hugs Vicki
Unread 10-16-2002, 06:32 PM
I feel like a big baby.

s, Tonya! It's hard enough to be making a decision about this kind of surgery without adding extra issues. I have not had both surgeries but I can tell you that as far as the pain is concerned, I agree that your doctors and nurses will do everything they can to keep you as comfortable as possible. They're there to help you through this.

You are no baby - it takes strength to make the decision to have this surgery and it takes strength to go through with it. You're stronger than you think you are, and you can do this! Please keep coming to this site - the support and information here are awesome! The ladies are great and you can ask absolutely anything. We're here to help. We've been where you are now.

Look forward to a better quality of life! You deserve it!

~Sue
Unread 10-17-2002, 06:30 AM
I feel like a big baby.

You are not a big baby...and NO it is not the same as C-Sec! Everyone has dif experience with pain and recovery, and I am sure you will come thru this just great...BUT it is MAJOR abdomial surg, and involves manhandling alot of internal organs etc. One lady said her doc likened it to being carefully hit by a truck. (tell your sis that!)

It isn't the pain so much(b/c you will have some type of relief for that, as needed), as it is the bodie's need to recover from the trauma and heal. And THAT is the big dif...and what you have to concentrate on. Taking all the time and precautions for the best recovery. And this is not you making all this up, it is your doc advising you what you can and can not do after surg...which is NOT even close to the post instructions your sis had for C-Sec.

Best of Luck!
Unread 10-17-2002, 06:56 AM
I feel like a big baby.

Hi Dear,

I haven't had a C-section, but like the others, common sense tells you there is a bit more going on. Some people just aren't very good about easing other folks anxiety.

However, with that said, forget those comparisons. Although Iwoke up with some pain after the surgery (and many people DON'T!) the nurses got right on it and I was comfortable SOON! I had light general and a spinal and I am small so I think they didn't want to dose me too high...once I woke up and could give feedback they got the pain right under control.

Please don't be afraid...you will do fine, as most of us do!

s

Debra

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register