Fibroids with heavy bleeding (2010) worth trying ablation? UPDATE - had hysterectomy in 2012 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids with heavy bleeding (2010) worth trying ablation? UPDATE - had hysterectomy in 2012 Fibroids with heavy bleeding (2010) worth trying ablation? UPDATE - had hysterectomy in 2012

Unread 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Re: Fibroids with heavy bleeding-worth trying ablation?

I also have a history of fibroids and uterine polyps. My period was sooo heavy, lots of clots, and severe cramping. I basically had to schedule my life around that time of month. I had the nova sure ablation done...cramping was pretty bad for a few days and it only lightened my periods about 30%. did take away the clots though. I am scheduled for a davinci hysterectomy July 2 and I wish I wouldve went ahead and did that instead of the ablation. i have 2 friends that have had the ablation...one it worked very well for! the other had it done TWICE with no results! good luck on your decision...you need to do what you think is best for you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2010, 06:37 PM

Hi! Thx for your story --- after the dr's told me how "lumpy" my uterine cavity was and w/the fibroids, they didn't think the ablation would give me the results I was wanting. I also looked into doing the Lupron shots, but didn't want "instant menopause" since I'd trade 8-9 days of horrible period for 24/7 menopause symptoms. They hyster just seemed to be cutting to the chase for me. Good luck w/your hyster on 2 jul!! You are just 10 days ahead of me!
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:54 PM

I did not have fibroids, but I had a ablation in December because I was so anemic I was going to have to start tranfusions. The ablation did not work for me. I resumed periods the following month. I had TAH (kept my ovaries) on March 1, 2010 and I have never been happier. 3 weeks hard recovery and I was back to work (no choice) in 4 weeks. I have not gained any weight nor have I lost any. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2010, 04:14 PM

I had an ablasion in 2004 at 40, really saw no difference in my periods at that time but for about 6 - 8 months. Life got in my way, and while I had intended to see an ob-gyn in 2006, I just never 'got around to it', and decided that it was just a part of my age and it would eventually resolve itself. At my most recent yearly, I finally explained to my doctor about my heavy bleeding, going 3 - 4 days soaking a super tampon and heavy flow maxi pad every 1 - 1.5 hours, fatigue, pains all month, and then for the past two periods, dizziness for at least 3 days of my period. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone for the hysterectomy then. Like too many women, I put my health and quality of life on hold for everyone and everything else, and as a result, have endured a lot more pain, discomfort and frustration than I othewise would have and should have. I have my hysterectomy scheduled for June 17th, and but for the worry about the pain afterwards, I couldn't be more excited about the prospect of what life will be like not having to deal with periods any longer! For what it's worth! Good luck on your decision! Utimately, you have to do what you feel comfortable with, and if you are comfortable, that is the right decision!

Allison
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:14 AM

ASDeLong...best wishes for a pain-free and successful surgery on the 17th! Thanks for the supportive notes, everyone!
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:12 PM

I had oblation in Nov. of 2008 due to fibroids and heavy bleeding. It did stop the bleeding for like 15 months. Then it came back with a vengence along with major rectal pain once a month. Ended up getting the TAH June 8th after all. So it did take care of bleeding temporarily for me, but didn't do anything for other symptoms.
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Fall Aster, let us know how you are doing when you can.

Dee
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks for checking in, Dee. I'm fine. I've decided to go ahead with the LAVH in the early part of next year. I haven't scheduled it yet, but I'm working on losing weight and getting in better shape in preparation for the surgery. Thanks to everyone for all their support and stories. I'll get on here plenty of time in advance to keep in touch about surgery. Take care...hope everyone's doing well.
Unread 07-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Re: Fiboids with heavy bleeding-worth trying ablation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmaggy View Post
I had an ablation last June. (Nova Sure) For me, it was a horrible decision. Within 7 months, I began having horrible abdominal pain and cramping. Now the bleeding has returned. I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy ...this June. I wish now, I would have just gotten it over with last year!
This was me as well. But, I had my hysterectomy at 6 months. The recovery for the ablation was far worse than recovery for the hyst. Which is why I really waited for so long. I was afraid of the recovery process for the hyst. Even after just a few days post-op from the hysterectomy I am doing so much better, it's almost unbelievable. During the 6 months after the endometrial ablation I had bounding, throbbing, 24/7 pelvic pain, cramping, daily spotting, plus bad PMS. Everyone is different, but those 6 months affected my well being and my family life, so if an ablation isn't recommended don't force it, the physician is not recommending it for a reason.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register