Does everyone get a cuff? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does everyone get a cuff? Does everyone get a cuff?

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Does everyone get a cuff?

I wasn't supposed to have my cervix removed but they took it out anyway. I found this out after surgery in a drug induced blood loss haze. My Davinci turned horribly wrong from 2 arterial bleeds and ended up open vertically. So I know why they took my cervix, although I'm still not happy about it. Do I have a cuff in there? What does this mean for my sex life? I've read the surgical report and I don't really know. I'm going back in a week and a half and will get definite answers then. But it would be nice to hear from the sisters here! Thanks!!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Re: Does everyone get a cuff?

Yes, if they took your cervix you have a cuff. Im only 3weeks into recovery but was told by my dr and many here that sex most likely wont be an issue at all, some find it better due to pain previous to their hyst. And chances are if you enjoyed it before you will again. When your cleared for sex most women on here say for the first couple of times to go slow and be in a position where you are in control ie. Top. And lube lube lube , like ky,astroglide etc.
I am so sorry your surgery went so wrong , but happy you made it out ok. Rest and recover, prayers and hugs for an easy complication free recovery!
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Sorry to hear your surgery was complicated...but if your cervix was removed you have a cuff. I'm not sure about sex yet because I'm only 3 weeks out.I wish you an uneventful and relaxing recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks-that's very helpful. I'm still worried about the cuff since it wasn't part of the original plan. I know nothing about it. Is it artificial? Is it my own tissue? I don't really get it. I know that's terribly naive, but it wasn't in the plan so I really didn't think anything about it.
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM

Hi Pavie I'm so pleased you posted this question as I'm the same as you didn't know what one was or that I even had one, and as we live in France things can tend to get lost in translation and they don't always think you want to know everything, good luck with your recovery x
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM

*chuckle* You're getting just a smidge worked up over the terminology. Your vagina is a tube. Your cervix used to be inserted into the top of that tube. Now your cervix is gone (so's mine), so the surgeon sewed the top of the tube shut. That's called a vaginal cuff.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_192677.htm suggests, "Think of a tube sock, and how it is sewn at the toes, and you will have a pretty clear idea." There should be no appreciable shortening of the vagina.

Suggestion: in about six weeks when you're done your recovery period, google "pelvic floor exercises" and find a routine that works for you. This will help your body adjust to the absence of your cervix.
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM

I have just recently resumed intercourse. I was a little painful the first time so we waited a couple more days. The second time was so much better. No pain, and it only felt a little different. This may be a little tmi but the big difference is there is no longer the feeling of him hitting the cervix and the pain I had from it. Work on the pelvic exercises to rebuild up the muscles down there. It does make a difference. I also found my libido has returned since sex no longer hurts!
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Does everyone get a cuff?

No you are not naieve , you werent told or explained to about "the new you" and its not artificial it all your tissue . I knew about the cuff and spent my first 2 weeks obsessing about it. I have scince calmed down (esp after my 2 week all good check up) we are all here to help any way we can even if its just support to know you arent alone ,ask away !
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavie View Post
Thanks-that's very helpful. I'm still worried about the cuff since it wasn't part of the original plan. I know nothing about it. Is it artificial? Is it my own tissue? I don't really get it. I know that's terribly naive, but it wasn't in the plan so I really didn't think anything about it.
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:29 PM

I had the davinci surgery 12/20/12 had my cervix removed. I waited 3 months to be intimate. The 1st time was a bit uncomfortable we took it slow and hubby says he didn't go all the way in. then after that each time start slow and little by little. each time has been better, he has been sick with very bad cold for 2 weeks then I got sick so we finally were intimate again last weekend and thankfully it was much better. I am very lubricated naturally so you shouldn't have a problem. Its great not having to worry about a period so I am glad to have my cervix gone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register