Anyone else have problems with vomiting after sedation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else have problems with vomiting after sedation? Anyone else have problems with vomiting after sedation?

Unread 03-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Anyone else have problems with vomiting after sedation?

I do, that's why for my last few surgeries I've been awake. But this time I want to be out. I wrote on my form that I vomit after sedation, so I hope they give me something while I'm out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2003, 10:14 AM

I had a spinal for my surgery, March 24th. Even without general anesthetic I had vomiting. The only drug that worked for me was Zofran. It was the third one they tried and I was told that it was expensive. It worked immediately. If I ever have to have surgery again, I was told by the doctors to make sure that this is the drug they give me the first time. Good luck.
Unread 03-31-2003, 10:55 AM
sedation troubles

Yes, I too have had problems with vomitting after sedation. I have my Pre-op with my Dr and at the Castle this Friday. I will be SURE to discuss this with him.

I've had 2 knee surgeries, one foot surgery and one C-section. I had general anesthesia with the first 3 and an epidural with the C-section. Very shortly after coming out of the general anesthesia's all 3 times, I suffered from terrible nausea and vomitting. Even after the C-section, although it was nearly 24 hours later, I also had severe nausea and vomitting. (However with this surgery, I had MANY other medications prior to as they tried first to induce labor, and then my BP went very high, then very low, so they were giving me all kinds of meds to stabilize me. I'm sure it's possible that the nausea/vomiting I experienced after the C-section was from those meds as opposed to the effects of the epidural.) Of everything facing me with this surgery, I am most dreading the possibility of this occuring again. I don't even want to think about tossing my cookies after a TAH/BSO!!

What experiences have others had with discussing this with your Dr? And when you go to the Castle for your pre-op...do you meet with an anesthesiologist then? or only the day of the surgery? Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2003, 11:39 AM

I had nausea right after surgery, but it seemed to be related to the Morphine they gave me at the end of surgery. Post op they switched me to Demerol and the nausea decreased.
Unread 03-31-2003, 12:20 PM

I am postop 7 days. It was my first surgery and I talked with the A man just prior to surgery about my concerns. He had them put pepcid in my IV before I went into surgery. I had absolutely no problems with nausea at all.

ConnieW
Unread 03-31-2003, 12:21 PM

I had terrible nausea after general anesthesia last year for gallbladder. Compounded by the demoral? Not sure if it anesthesia or drugs. The nurses and doctors seemed to think it was the anesthesia. Had to stay an extra day last year.
I have the question of meds for nausea on the top of my question list for pre-op.
Here's to no Puking-Princesses.
Good Luck
Unread 03-31-2003, 12:30 PM

It could also be possible to experience nausea and vomiting from the pain killer they usually put in the epidural or spinal. Usually they put in morphine and think that it doesn't have the same effect as if you take it orally. That's usually true, I guess, but it is something you might want to discuss ahead of time because there are a number of alternatives. This time I used Dilaudid and was fine. Thank goodness!

Joselle
TAH/BSO 2001
Hernia repair 2003
Unread 03-31-2003, 01:57 PM
Vomiting After Sedation

I just had an abdominal myomectomy for fibroids, PCOS, ovarian, cysts, adhesions on 3/25/03 and told them about my situation with getting sick after surgery. The put something in my IV this time but I did get sick once again. It probably was the combination of the demerol/not eating as well as my IV not working for 8 hours. You need to also be careful about that as well. Student nurses noticed that it was not working and I was dehydrated and they had to flush the IV. They also gave me the same medicine 2 times in my IV for vomiting which did not work. Since I was on Demerol/Dilaudid I was not able to They finally gave me Zofran which worked immediately. Now I will request it when I have surgery because that is the only thing that stopped it. Otherwise, after the figured out the right medicine I felt fine so be very persistent with the anesthesiologist as well as your doctor and you should be also. Good luck and I will for you.

3/25/03 Myomectomy for fibroids, PCOS, ovarian cysts and adhesions - thankfully left both ovaries and also uterus

The opinions expressed are my own. Please check with your
Unread 03-31-2003, 02:35 PM
nausea/vomiting with anesthesia

I ALWAYS have vomiting and nausea with anesthesia. My anesthesiologist said that most people do. The pepcid in the I.V. that one of the sisters mentioned helps alot to settle the stomach. I mentioned this problem to my A-man when I had surgery in December and he said he knew how to handle it.........I thought "yipee"!!!!! When I came around in my room after surgery I was relieved to not have vomited after surgery this time. There is nothing worse then heaving after an abdominal procedure. It was my dh that informed me that I had in fact done lots of heaving, but I sure didn't remember any of it.

Then again on March 20th, I had another surgery and the same A-man and I again warned him of my tendency to vomit after anesthesia. He said there is very little that can be done to prevent it, if you have a tendency to vomit afterward that usually you are just going to vomit and there isn't much that can be done to stop it but you can be sedated enough to not feel the pain from it or remember it which is what he had done with me last time. I told him that was fine by me and to do the same thing again this time. I again heaved after surgery (according to sources) but I don't remember anything about it. Just be sure to tell the A-man your concerns, they are very good at what they do and are there for your comfort.

Good Luck to all our ladies in waiting.

Lots of 's to all! Dawn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register