Scheduled, scared and ready to cancel! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled, scared and ready to cancel! Scheduled, scared and ready to cancel!

Unread 09-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Scheduled, scared and ready to cancel!

I am new to this forum. I have been researching on the internet and have found alot of information on this site..tks! I am 44, have 2 children (19 & 22) and have been happily married for 24 years. My abdominal Hyst. surgery scheduled for November 3. The more I read on the internet and the more I think about what I am about to do..I get parzlized with fear. I am questioning my decision, second guessing myself. I have endo and heavy, long-lasting, irregular periods. I have had a d&c, 2 thermal ablation procedures and none have been successful. Somedays I am close to cancelling my surgery. Does any one have any suggestions/reading material that might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2008, 08:06 AM

no but I am scheduled for a hyster on Wed and I too am freaking out wondering if i am doing the right thing. I am 31 and have a screwy anatomy that will not allow an ablation and so my only option right now is a hyster. I am wondering if it is worth it to lose my uterus and cervix so that I no longer have such bloody messy periods. Plus my last few periods have let up . . . a little.

I was coming to ask much the same question.
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:19 AM

Hi Ladies, Glad you found us! I just want to let you know that it is perfectly normal to want to back out! I wanted to get up and run all the way up to the time the were putting my Iv in. I have been home since Thursday and I am already so glad I did it. Also to Catmaster.. I said the same thing.. Well the last period was better so maybe I don't really need it.. Turns out one ovary was good one was bad so when I was ovulating from the bad ovary that is when my period was heavy and painful. You will be fine.. even though its scary and we will be here waiting for you on the glad to be done side!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM

I think this is without a doubt the most difficult decission I've ever had to make. I was first told that I should consider a Hyst. when I was around 26, 18 years ago.....Iv'e gone this long in misery....what's a few more years?
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:27 AM

Hey ladies
We all have those back out feelings. I was doing pretty good until my 18 yo daughter started to cry when she saw the nurse start to put in my IV.
I am now 8 weeks post op tomorrow. And let me tell you it was the best thing I have done for myself and my family.

I feel soooo much better. I feel more like a woman, heathier and sexier. I am exercising and eating right and my sex life has improved 100%. It no longer hurts and hubby and I are both very happy. He is glad that I am taking an interest again and enjoying it.

I am choosing to not take hrt at this time. I have had no hot flashes or any menopause symptoms except for vaginal dryness which I had prior to surgery anyway.

This is a great site with great ladies with great wisdom. Welcome to the Sisterhood.
Unread 09-29-2008, 09:01 AM

Everything you are experiencing is normal. THese boards are FULL of advice, tip, stories, use them. No questions is a stupid question. I am now 3 1/2 months post op. I am now FREE of cramps, bleeding, pain, as these things were running my life for way toooooo long. I was scared, I questioned, especially when my body decided to cooperate 3 days before surgery. (did I really want to do this). Anyway, I am now 25 lbs lighter, eating well, excercising (although I still hate it), I feel sooooo much better about myself, I am not doing HRT, and yes there are some warm moments. BUT, I now have my life back, a life that is being run by ME!!! It is true the waiting is the worst part. Good Luck.
Unread 09-29-2008, 09:16 AM

I had my hyst for other reasons (cancerous cells) so I didn't have the pain that most of you gals go through. I can however tell you that I am glad I have done this, over all in four days I already feel better. My skin is glowing, I am eating healthier and despite being uncomfortable, I feel good!

It really is over and done with before you know it and for me personally it didn't turn out anywhere as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Unread 09-29-2008, 06:28 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I just scheduled my surgery last week and I've thought of cancelling as well. I keep thinking I'm not in constant pain, maybe I can get through this a little bit longer. But then the logical side of me says I should not wait until I'm bedridden. If I have the surgery now, then my recovery may be easier since I am pretty healthy. If I wait too long, I will be in worse shape and have a harder time with it. It's just not always easy to listen to the logical side!
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:44 PM

hi i think it's normal to second guess your decision
think how unhealthy it would be for us to just do the surgery without questioning ourselves and allaying our own doubts and fears beforehand
i found that i always second guessed inbetween my periods!
i also did even more second guessing about my urethral sling, but that was all changed when I got a month-long cough and had to go to wearing a maxi pad every day... your body has a way of reminding you, doesn't it?

anyway, dinky - it sounds like you have worn out your other options. I'm 45 and what I kept thinking about was that I had no idea whether menopause would come at 50 or 55, or even later. I could deal with 5 more years of that crap, but 10??? No way.
I am now glad I did it, and looking forward to being anemia-free so I can stop being so homebound.
Unread 09-29-2008, 10:10 PM

I was terrified pre op. I could only focus on me. I felt bad but that is what is necessary to survive. I wanted to change my mine too. I didn't and so gratefull that I have a wonderful docotr and surgery team.
They all took really good care of me and your caregivers will do the same.
Focus on healing and getting well. You want to be at your best when you get to the castle.
Before you know it you will be home on the other side of recovery. Take it slow and don't over do. Best of luck...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register