What SHOULD I be doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What SHOULD I be doing? What SHOULD I be doing?

Unread 05-06-2012, 02:36 AM
What SHOULD I be doing?

I am 36 & am 12 days postop; had a radical hyster w/ davinci on 4/24. I have 3 kids & a husband who currently has influenza A. I had adenomyosis & several hemorrhagic cysts in r ovary. A friend took me to get groceries yesterday; I put items in cart, on conveyor, bags back in cart then into van. I also pushed the cart w/ my 36 lb 5 yr old. I have been standing & folding laundry & straightening things around house. I am cramping quite a bit on r side, pains inside & feels like someone punched my stomache. I thought I was taking it easy. First wk only took care of me & walked. Feel like I'm being lazy now. Was not near as sore as 1st wk so thought this would be ok; think it's to much. What SHOULD I be doing? Have percocets but trying to only take at bedtime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Re: Dickerson5

You really should not be doing anything. 1 wk post op is still too soon to shop and push carts no matter how well you feel because the insides are still healing. Rest and relaxation are the order of the day for the next few weeks. I also had a DvTH but was told not to lift anything over 10lbs. Did the Dr give you post op instructions? You don't want to risk injury, repairs, or the chance of healing incorrectly on the inside. The pain your in is your body's way of telling you to sit down. Hope this helps.
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Re: Dickerson5

Wow, you're doing way too much! You could end up bleeding or back in the hospital for repairs! It's not lazy to want to recover properly - you've had major surgery. I'm really surprised that this wasn't explained to you by your doctor. I know you have a lot on your hands with the kids etc. but you only get to do this once - put your feet up, get on the phone and find someone to help you with the household tasks if you can (otherwise, let them wait!) and take it easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Re: What SHOULD I be doing?

Hi mdickerson - I am so sorry you haven't had good guidance post-op on how much you can and can not do post-hysterectomy. It is major abdominal surgery, and the first weeks of recovery are such an important time, for really vital health reasons. I found the hystersisters videos a really approachable way to get my head around each week of recovery - start by looking at week 1-2 and look at the others when you need to. They are all here: https://www.hystersisters.com/blog/?tag=video

PS: I had mine the same day as you, and am really not moving near as fast, but we do all heal at different rates...still look after yourself please! slow down if you can, its a big deal this surgery!
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:05 AM

I too am up and around very well! I went back to work thrusday when my surgery was just Monday! But all I did was walk I do lunch monitoring with the kids! I feel good! My doctor said that as long as I'm not tired or sick that I can slowly retrn to normal things no lifting over 10 pounds for six weeks!
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:12 AM

I agree with Angel2012...yes please read in here the do's and dont's of post op, its soooooo very important to take care of yourself and not overdue things as you may tear or pull something and there is a possible outcome of repair surgery...is there anyone who can help you at home as you say your family has influenza, i sure hope you can get the help at home that you so need right now...hugs to you, and please try to rest, rest, rest....Peace be with you
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:20 AM

My doctor told me no pushing, pulling, or lifting for 6 weeks. I too have 3 children and no how difficult this order is. But it is necessary unless you want to add an injury to your recovery that will add even more time to your total recovery.

My doctor says pushing a shopping cart is a big no-no. As is sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming. For these 6 weeks, I'm making grocery lists and my husband is doing the grocery shopping. I've hired somebody to come in once a week to vacuum, sweep, mop, and scrub the bathrooms. The house isn't staying as clean as when I'm on top of things, but we can get by for 6 weeks like this.

I sort the laundry and put it in the washer. When it's wet I only move one garment at a time to the dryer. When it's done, my husband folds it and I put it away just a few piece at a time. Carrying a full laundry basket is a no-no too.

I've been cooking all of our meals since day 5, but if I need to do something like boil spaghetti noodles, my husband fills the pot with water and carries it to the stove. If the milk just is completely full my husband does the first few pours for me until it's a bit lighter and easier to manage.

I feel great, but taking it easy is a must so we heal right. I have learned that bending down to pick up toys and such is best left to someone else. The only time I feel I'm doing to much is when I bend. I feel pressure in my vagina when I do that, so now I have my kids pick up stuff for me.

So for what we can do:
1) We can cook
2) We can do dishes
3) We can do laundry as long as we don't carry a heavy load at once
4) We can dust
5) We can clean the counter tops, mirrors, and any other surface that's easy to reach

We should NOT do anything that requires pushing, pulling, lifting, stretching, straining, or squatting. I know it's frustrating and you feel lazy and like you aren't pulling your weight, but the healing process is only temporary. I'm counting the days of my recovery down and that really helps me. A 6 week recover is 42 days. That means I now only have 28 days left to my recovery. The first thing I'll be doing on day 43 is pickup up my 2 year old and giving her a great big hug. I just keep thinking about day 43!
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:25 AM

I totally agree with the others. Pushing a shopping cart is a big no no. It involves using your abdominal muscles way too much. Anything where those muscles are engaged will absolutely kill your muscles. While your doc wants you to move, he doesn't want you to be bending, stretching,twisting. I had a DvH and did way too much too soon. Ended up in the hospital. I know you feel like you aren't doing much, but that is because you had MAJOR surgery. It takes time to heal and if you don't allow your body to heal, you can be dealing with problems for a very long time.
Just a quick addendum to this. Be careful about dusting(reaching high or low or twisting). Same for cooking(standing too long on your feet). This is especially true for the first few weeks. You might want to call your doc for further guidance from the nurse what they think is ok. You are healing but it is still easy to overdo it.
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice; I feel better hearing what everyone has or is going through. I will slow down; I suppose in my mind that 2 wks would be enough & Tues will be 2 wks. My kids just left for church with our friends; it still hurts to sit straight up & since I can't take my recliner to church thought I should wait another week. Will have to log on at my pc to chk out the videos they won't download on my iphone.
Will be keeping everyone in my prayers. Thanks again!
MDickerson
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:25 AM

MDICKERSON I am over 4 weeks post op and am not doing any of that.My doctor said to rest and walk, and no lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. If your hubby can not take care of your kids and house you should consider getting someone to come stay with you a while.

:cathugs:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register