Date Way Out There | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Date Way Out There Date Way Out There

Unread 11-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Date Way Out There

Due to many scheduling conflicts, my operation is scheduled for Feb 3. To me, that's just too long to wait. I know it's not an emergency in my case, but I have almost a medical phobia anyway - and to have this hanging over my head for a quarter of a year?!?!

By the way, I was the originator of the "fixated on bowel prep" thread. And, stangely (or, perhaps, logically?) fixating and fretting on it has really helped. It's like I voiced my worse most embarrassing fears - and while I'm still not wild about the idea, it's starting to seems like more and more of just an annoyance rather than an afront. I'd call that progress!

But on the timing thing - I have called my doctor's office to see if they could get me in any sooner. So far I've gotten no call back. I am (ahem!) highstrung anyway, and I'm just not handling this well. And most of the time I'm fine. But sometimes I'm like a deer frozen in headlights and I get flu-like symptoms and anxiety so strong it's hard to get off the couch!

And my husband is not sympathetic. He can't see why I'd get this neurotic this much in advance. The truth is, I've always been a bit neurotic about medical stuff. Why did he think it would improve now?! The only difference is I have so much time to dwell on it I'm afraid I'll drive him and myself insane.

I'm trying to focus on other things. I'm trying to exercise. I'm going to schedule weekly massages. I'm being nice to myself. Still, I don't understand my own extreme response. The first few days I knew I was getting used to the idea. But it's been 6 days now. While sometimes I'm fine other times I feel so frantic that you'd swear the operation was tomorrow.

It's my hysterectomy and I'll over-react if I want to? Just doesn't make sense...

Cathy B.
Who is turning anxiety into an artform...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Date Way Out There

Cathy: Maybe you could use this time to "prepare" yourself for surgery. (you'll be surprised how fast the time will go anyway). I had read about this in Dr. Northrup's book, Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. She has a section on how to prepare for surgery and heal faster. You need to work on relaxing (ever do any guided imagery studying? Visualize your healing (sounds funny, but it does work!) I remember being actually calm as they were wheeling me down to surgery! Never thought I would be! But even more importantly, take your supplements: I took Vitamin A 25,000 IU, bromelain (helps with bruising), Vitamin C, Zinc, magnesium and B complex. I even took Arnica (homeopathy) on the day before, and took them to hospital, but never got a chance to take them. Did when I got home. Perhaps all this wasn't necessary, but it made me feel like I was doing something positive. But I did have an excellent recovery. Good Luck to you.
Unread 11-11-2002, 03:58 PM
Date Way Out There

s, Cathy!

I know how it feels to feel overwhelmed with the thought of this surgery. I didn't have to wait long for my surgery date because my bleeding wouldn't stop so they didn't want to wait too long, but the whole idea of having this surgery was quite a surprise to me. I thank God someone told me about this website. It helped me so much.

Have you checked out all the info on the pull-down menus on the homepage? There's lots of message boards you can frequent and of course, there's always hugs, cyber-chocolate and new friends on chat just waiting for you!! Please come share with the ladies - they really understand and I think they'll help calm you. I'm glad you're being good to yourself.

I don't think husbands can really understand how it feels to be facing this surgery because they're not women, but they are people and they have their own feelings and questions about their wives having major surgery whether they voice their concerns or not. All this wasn't easy for my husband. We did talk about it but sometimes it's hard to put things into words. It's good to be patient with each other and willing to communicate.

I'm so glad you found this site and you sent a post. This is a safe place to share your feelings, especially when you feel that others may not understand. Believe me, we do!! We've been where you are now. You may hear it said that waiting for surgery (no matter how long the wait is) is the hardest part - it certainly is. The first few days aren't a picnic, either, but at least it's over by then and you know you're on the road to recovery.

Of course, there's lots to keep busy with but I do know the moments when this whole thing seems overwhelming. Please try to keep it all in perspective. You may have to wait a while (hopefully your doctor will schedule you sooner - or could you consult with another doctor?) but that amount of time will be just a fraction of the time you'll have after the surgery to enjoy better health and a better quality of life. I can tell you from my personal experience that it is *wonderful* on the post-op side of this surgery and I don't regret it for one moment. I thank God every day that I'm not bleeding anymore!! The result of having surgery is more important than how long you have to wait, and I know you can do this. You're stronger than you think you are.

Hoping all goes well for you and hoping you can get your date moved up.

~Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register