Vaginal hysterectomy,It scares me! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy,It scares me! Vaginal hysterectomy,It scares me!

Unread 11-10-2001, 07:54 AM
Vaginal hysterectomy,It scares me!

I will go in next month for a hysterectomy and the doctor wants to do it vaginally,It scares me because I have bad endometriosis and adenomyosis so removal of my uterus is understandable but since I have right sided pain he is removing my appedix ,which can be more tricky.should I ensist on an old fashion entrusion thru the tummy?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2001, 07:59 AM

Hi there

Any kind of hyst is going to be scary. Do you have any specific reason why you don't want it vaginally?

Most people actually find vaginal hyst to be less painful, and with shorter recovery time.

You most certainly should talk to your doctor about it though, you have to be sure that everything that will be done is something you are comfortable with. It can't be undone afterwards.

Take care
Unread 11-10-2001, 08:44 AM
Vaginal hys

I am scared because both my kids were c-section,and I already had one ovary removed surgically by tummy,and the thought of part of my intestinal tract (meaning my appedix) going thru my vagina with more chance of infection scares me!Will I loose any kind of sensation?Will I become more stretched out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2001, 09:03 AM

Hi Bunch,

I very recently had a tvh - I can't imagine the risk of infection is any greater this way. My doc had an antibiotic drip included in my iv to help that...needless to say, I don't have any infections. The uterus is a fairly small flexible organ. I don't see how this would stretch you. I have to say that I am in no pain but still taking it very easy so as not to aggravate anything. I did have my catheter removed after 12 hours, was able to pee right away and was up walking a few hours after surgery. The only trouble I had walking was that I was still kinda dopey. No pain. As far as losing any sensation, I can't say for sure yet, but I don't expect to. Everything feels normal so far. Many women report no differences, but I certainly understand your concerns. I think changes are the exception. Good luck to you!
Unread 11-10-2001, 09:27 AM

I had a TAH, and I had some of the same concerns about a TVH that you do. My doctor also thought a TAH would be simpler, quicker, easier (for him), and less risky. Of course, he's kinda old school, but it all seemed like good reasoning to me.

Also, I've had no kids, and 6 weeks before my hyst I had a lap tubal & D&C, and he observed at that time that the was "no elbow room" in there.

At least discuss your concerns with your doctor. Mine was very experienced at TAHs, TVHs, lap hysts, etc., and said he'd do whatever kind I insisted on, but "I'd recommend the TAH, and here's why...". So you should have that kind of conversation with your doctor. Either you should come away convinced that "gee, now I see why a TVH really is the best option in my case", or having told the doctor "I understand what you're saying, but I'd still prefer that you do this abdominally, K?"
Unread 11-10-2001, 11:33 AM

I have never had kids, and just had a LAVH and had a great time...well, it was more like a bad period than anything painful..I was worried also about the no childbirth thing, but I did some posts and found no problems with anyone. My doctor planned a vaginal hyst, but did want the option just in case there was an issue. So the morn in the hosp she had me sign for her to be able to choose if necessary. I have 2 tiny incisions right above my hairline, and then on in my belly button. My tummy is as flat as before I went in, and I know I am swollen. I wish I knew more to tell you, but I would vote vaginal any time.
Unread 11-10-2001, 12:47 PM
Go for it!!!!

Had TVH both ovaries removed, tubes and all. I recoverd nicely. I am PAIN FREE!!!! Do not worry about it. I had a C-section with my son and the recovery from that was much harder. If they can get it all vaginally-that's the way to go. Just make sure to rest and pamper yourself. Just because you do not have an incision on the ouside you have many on the inside and it is very important to stay in bed and get lots of rest. One thing I would recommend is that you take a B Complex and Calcium Magnesium. This will help with energy and relaxing of muscle. You'll be fine. Good luck!
Unread 11-10-2001, 02:05 PM

Bunch:

It is my understanding that vaginal appendectomy by itself is very commonly performed and that there is less risk of infection when performed vaginally as opposed to more risk.

Ultimately, in your case, I would discuss it further with the DR. Good Luck - I know you will make the right decision for you.
Unread 11-12-2001, 01:04 PM
Re: Vaginal hysterectomy,It scares me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunch1965
I will go in next month for a hysterectomy and the doctor wants to do it vaginally,It scares me
I had a hysterectomy vaginally around 8 years ago. I was about 39 years old. I did get an infection....there is always a risk of infection with any surgery. I also had a lot of pain for about a month. So, even though it wasn't as easy for me as some people say....there wasn't the cutting through all those layers of abdominal tissue. No scar....and I felt like a new person a couple of months later.

good luck no matter what you do......
Unread 11-12-2001, 04:29 PM

Hi sister
I had a TVH October 26. Everyone is different but it was the way to go for me. My doctor is young (about 36) and recommended the vaginal surgery. I spoke with the anesthetist and we agreed on a epidural spinal. I was awake but drowsy. I was operated on a Friday and went home two days later feeling no pain. Up to now I feel no pain, no ill effects from anesthesia and I'm taking no pain medication. Don't forget things are happening so much differently than yesteryear.
Listen to your doctor but talk it over with him if you still have any fears. Let him explain everything to you in detail. Have plenty of questions for him and let him reassure you before you have the surgery.
Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register