Dr says let's do it, but have a few ?s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr says let's do it, but have a few ?s Dr says let's do it, but have a few ?s

Unread 02-05-2002, 06:50 AM
Dr says let's do it, but have a few ?s

Had my first consult with my Dr on Friday and the hyster. is a GO! I am glad, nervous, scared, etc but am sure that is normal. I have sever pelvic adhesions and have never given birth, so she recommends an abdominal hyster, removal of my right ovary , leave my left ovary and remove the cervix. I will research more on the cervix deal, but I am happy with the rest of her ideas. She said to expect 3-4 days in the hospital and a follow up with her at 2 weeks post op. The thing that surprised me was this - she says that after 2-3 weeks, she will ususally approves returning to work part time in the mornings, and she said most of her patients are back to work full time after 4-5 weeks, 6 weeks max. This is wonderful news to me since I dont have any short term disability and will be relying on savings, so the sooner the paychecks start rolling back in the better! But ...this seems a bit optimistic to me after reading what others have said here. She is my Dr and I turst her completely (and know she would never approve of me going back to work until I am ready and healed), but does this seem realistic to you?

Also, I dont intend on scheduling the surgery until late May. I have a wonderful scuba diving vacation to Bonaire scheduled for mid- May and I thought what I'd do is get my ducks in a row at work over the next few months (I'm the Accountant/HR Manager at a small firm so we'll have to get a temp in here or something while I'm gone), have a nice relaxing vacation, then have the surgery as soon as I get back. I know I am lucky to be able to wait and choose the date , but will I just go crazy waiting??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 07:02 AM
Hi TamiAnn

We all have our decisions to make, but trusting your DR does make it easier. I trusted my DR also and my surgery went well and I healed well. My DR however said nothing for at least 4 weeks then slow up until 6-8 weeks then resume some normal activities. I don't think anyone can tell you what is really going to happen as far as how long it is just an average. So keep reading and maybe yes the wait will drive you crazy . God Bless and keep us up on your decisions.
Unread 02-05-2002, 07:42 AM
Dr says let's do it, but have a few ?s

TamiAnn,

Going back in less than six weeks seems to be a growing trend based on how the patient is doing after surgery. My doctor said before surgery to expect about six weeks, but after surgery he ok'd for 4 weeks and said 4-6 weeks is becoming more common. I told him I preferred to wait because I work very long hours and have a very long commute, and he gave me 7 weeks. I felt really well at 4 weeks, but occasionally needed to rest briefly in the afternoon. When I did return to work I was able to give 150%.

I waited many months for my surgery because I wanted to choose a time when the weather was nice so I could have pleasant walks during recovery (I live in northern New England). I wasn't bothered by the waiting since I'm well occupied by both my work and family.

As far as the cervix goes, cervical cancer is more common than some other types of cancer so I had it removed. Some women think they need one for orgasm, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence for that.

One more thing: I was told to expect 3-4 days in the hospital but ended up with 2- you might want to check with the doctor on that- 2 days is becoming more standard with insurance companies. Of course, if you have an infection or some other complication a longer stay will be approved. Definitely look into getting a temp during time out if your duties can be readily assumed by someone even if they are not familiar with your firm. My company (a large one) hired 2 consultants to do my job while I was gone- I had to correct a lot of their mistakes when I returned.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register