to keep or not to keep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

to keep or not to keep? to keep or not to keep?

Unread 01-21-2005, 06:17 AM
to keep or not to keep?

I'm scheduled for my LSH 2/2. And the doctor wants to take the right ovary due to cysts. But the ladies in my family and friends keep saying that I should just have the other ovary removed too. What is everyone's take on this? I do have a family history of ovarian cancer, if that makes a difference. I kind of don't want to have to go back in later on if something comes up with the ovary later on.

I've also had abnormal cells on my cervix a couple of months ago and the doctor was supposed to follow up on that this next month. I had to have cyrosurgery for pre-cancerous cells on my cervix 12 years ago too. I'm wondering if I should ask about getting it all removed. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 06:26 AM
to keep or not to keep?

Hi, that is something that I think you should discuss with your dr. Research the pros and cons and then make the decision that seems best for YOU. It's been my understanding that family history of cancer does carry some weight in the situation. So does your age at time of hyst. Some drs lkike to try to save at least one ovary for ladies as young as you.

Please talk to your dr about it. Together you should be able to decide what is the best for you

s
Unread 01-21-2005, 06:27 AM
To Keep or Not to Keep

That is a very personal decision. I am opting to have my ovaries taken out because I had breast cancer that was estrogen positive and progesterin positive. I see it as a sort of prophylactic thing....my body is going to be safer without estrogen production of any kind.

Now, am I happy about this? No....no HRT for me due to past cancer...so I may be facing a lot of hot flashes and night sweats AGAIN....

I went through a chemo induced menopause and suddenly have come out of it....so may go through menopause all over again after having ovaries removed.

A family history of ovarian cancer would be enough to tell me get rid of the ovaries...but that is JUST ME>>>>>You have to make up your own mind based on your own feelings and beliefs.

I don't know if this will help you or not...I sure hope so....good luck!

Hugs and prayers and best wishes....

Akwarrior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 07:43 AM
to keep or not to keep?

I had my hyst. in Oct. I really, really wanted to keep one of my ovaries. My doc promised that she would make that decision during the surgery. She called my DH during surgery and said they both look bad, she had a highCA 125 blood test...if she were my sister they'd come out. I am so thankful they are gone! weeks after the surgery I was bummed but I'll tell you I've talked to so many women who kept an ovary only to have to go and have surgery again. I don't want to go through this again!

You must do what is right for you. If you really feel like you want to keep one do it. I am having great luck with my HRT though so you never know! I had cervix removed, too. I almost three months post-op and have never felt better!

Good Luck,
Les

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register