Anyone else going to have 2 doctors doing their surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else going to have 2 doctors  doing their surgery? Anyone else going to have 2 doctors doing their surgery?

Unread 11-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Anyone else going to have 2 doctors doing their surgery?

I am scheduled to have a TAH next Wednesday the 10th. Apparently I have to be on an all liquid diet on Tuesday. Guess I'll be taking Slim Fast or something for lunch at work that day. Anyway, when the nurse called me to confirm everything yesterday, she said my Dr. was going to have another Gynecologist in the OR to assist him so I won't be under as long. Now I'm worried, did some of my tests come back bad or something? Shouldn't they tell me if they did? Has anyone else had 2 doctors doing their surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Re: Anyone else going to have 2 doctors doing their surgery?

I've heard it sometimes depends on what kind of surgery you are having. The Da Vinci Surgery for instance always uses 2 doc's. Better safe than sorry!

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll be fine!
Unread 11-03-2010, 07:08 PM

I had at least two, as one was teaching another (and I heard there was a "clinic" in the OR immediately before my surgery). I wouldn't worry at all, and if it is still on your mind, ask your doctor for more details.

Did you get a list of what you can or cannot include in your liquid diet? Mine was very strict, clear only, and no sweeteners etc..... so SlimFast is probobly on the NO list. Please check with your doctor about that, so you don't inadvertantly put anything at risk. Regardless of what each of us experienced on this site, all that matters is what your doctor expects because they have the whole picture, and your ultimate successful surgery in mind.

Wishing you the very best for an excellent successful surgery!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 07:16 PM

It is fairly common for there to be an assisting surgeon in the OR. In fact, I would be surprised if there wasn't going to be an assist.

Many women are completely unaware there is an assistant surgeon involved and may never even meet that individual. I have never met any of my assisting surgeons though their names have appeared on my surgical reports!

Having an assistant in the OR in no way means there is anything abnormal or extra scary going on. It is actually a routine practice.

I hope that helps!

And yes, please check about the Slim Fast. Any milk type products are generally not allowed for a clear liquid diet. You might want to check the Mayo Clinics website for a list of generally accepted foods (ha!) and drinks allowed for a liquid diet. As a hint, I found making jello into jigglers helpful as at least then I had to chew and could kind of fake out my body!

s
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM

hi, my doctor said that the other ob/gyn in her office is going to assist her in my TAH.. she said he is proficient in tacking bladders and i might need it done, so he will assist her and i will get both done. so i guess its common... good luck!
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Hello! My doctor told me the reason why it has taken two months to schedule my surgery is because she had to get a urologist to place guide wires prior to surgery and another doctors to assist with adhesions to the bowel. She said it is almost always more than one doctor performing the surgery although I won't meet the other doctors.
Unread 11-04-2010, 08:33 AM

hiya

I had three doctors during surgery..two were full fledged OB/GYN surgeons and the third was a surgical resident
Unread 11-04-2010, 08:44 AM

Hello, I had 2 surgeons as well doing my hysterectomy and I was glad for it, 2 heads are better than one!! Just helps your surgeon with everything and yes its true you usually arent under as long. I had met the other dr when I had an attempted uterine ablation in August (turns out my uterus was too small for the novasure devise to deploy) . Good luck to you in your surgery!
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:01 AM

I am scheduled to have two doctors present at mine on the 19th. My gyno is a surgeon so he will be there, and because I had a cancerous polyp in the uterus, a gyno oncologist is going to be present.

I agree, two heads are better than one!
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Yes I had 2 surgeons present during my surgery. I think its good to have at least 2 working together cuz like it has already been mentioned "Two heads are better than one". One surgeon was even kind enough to grab and hold my hand while they were getting things ready in the OR room. So don't worry if there are 2 surgeons in the OR as that is actually a good thing. The quicker the surgery the better in my opinion.

With regards to liquid food diet, I don't think you will be able to have SlimFast. For my liquid food diet all I had was apple juice, water and jello all day. There were a couple of other things that I was allowed to have such as black tea or coffee but I didn't bother having those. So you will want to check with your doctor or hospital before you eat something you shouldn't.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register