I'm scared of having a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm scared of having a hysterectomy I'm scared of having a hysterectomy

Unread 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm scared of having a hysterectomy

I go to see my doctor a week from Friday and I'm terrified. I am relatively new to the area and have never seen this doctor and no one I know has seen her, either. I am exhausted and desperate. I feel like I have no other options than a hysterectomy and BSO. I've done research and it looks like the best option for me. But I am terrified that the doctor will just dismiss me like all of the doctors before.
This thing that my body is doing is all of my life right now. I have no quality of life. I know that my partner is frustrated for me and with the situation. We have discussed this to death and both of us are sick of it. All we can do now is wait.
I'm just scared and exhausted. And I'm sure you ladies can understand.
Sorry about the rant. I hope all goes well for you ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Re: I'm scared

I'll once again state I think hysterectomy and BSO is jumping ahead a bit. Not many gynecologists, and certainly not any sane ones, would consider this without looking at other treatment and diagnostic options. Such as a laparoscopy.

I get being fed up and just wanting it over, but it also is so important to have the right doctor, and the right procedure for whatever is going on.

The best way to approach your appointment is to have a detailed symptom diary, copies of any labs or tests, a treatment history like meds you've tried and what happened on them, and make it very clear you need to feel better.

Pain and sickness can also lead to distorted thinking. This time last year I wanted it all out too. Seriously, you can go back through my posting history. I got enough symptom management going on so I could think straight, find good doctors, good options, and rule out potential symptoms. In the end it turned out I did need a hysterectomy for adenomyosis, but that I did not need a BSO. I do not want a BSO anymore, the potential health risks are too scary, and having been in medically induced menopause for 6 months, I also know it doesn't feel great either.

Yet, since I have Endo based on how things unfold in the future I may still need a BSO. The goal of my treatment is to do whatever possible to keep me from needing one.
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm scared of having a hysterectomy

I'm 28 and my hysterectomy is next week. I've made the decision to have mine due to endometriosis and adenomyosis. This will be my 4th surgery, my husband and I don't plan to have kids of our own (I have 2 step kids), and I can't continue to have surgeries every 1-2 years. I am keeping my remaining ovary so I don't have to take hormone replacements (I already lost an ovary to endometriosis).

I would suggest that if you do get a hysterectomy - keep your ovaries if at all possible. Having to take HRT for that long would suck! Just my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Re: I'm scared of having a hysterectomy

Hi Becca:

How did you doctor's appointment go? I hope you were able to get some information on a treatment plan.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:15 AM

what is BSO?
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:33 AM

There are so many questions that go through ones mind when faced with life changing decisions. It's not easy being a woman. It's only for the brave, that's for sure.
Look into every possible option for you. Get a second, even a 3rd opinion to help you decide. Ask about friends and or family GYN names. You have gone this long with this mess, it won't hurt to go a little longer to make sure that you get every option available to you explained. Good luck and wishing you the best!
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:25 PM

I know how you feel! Before my Hysterectomy it was like pulling teeth from one doctor to the next. It wasn't until I tried every treatment available with the doctor who eventually did my Hysterectomy! I really wanted the other ways to work. You need to try other solutions before you go directly to the surgery. Best of luck!
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Re: I'm scared

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your support and encouragement. Here's how it's going: first I saw a new primary and gave her a very basic overview of what was going on. She decided to leave it to the new GYN that I would be seeing later that day but she did want to do blood work and with that blood work she would include tests for the different bleeding disorders. I later saw the new GYN (GYN A so we can tell them apart). She told me that she would do ultrasounds but there was probably nothing wrong (even though, at that point, I had been bleeding heavily for 18 days). She was very rude and condescending and just plain mean (calling me a "chunky" girl and just to shove two tampons in). That was on a Friday. The following Monday I had ultrasounds done and everything looked fine-no cysts, no fibroids, no abnormal amount of endometrium. I also got the blood work back-I have no bleeding disorders and, somehow, I wasn't anemic. GYN A then told my primary that there was nothing wrong with me and I should see a psychiatrist.

Over the next few days I continued to bleed and pass large clots. I couldn't leave the house and I was in a lot of pain. My primary (who is a PA) called me and set up an appointment to see her and an MD who works with her because something was obviously wrong. In the mean time, I kept calling GYN A because the clots I was passing were huge and I needed her to listen to me. After blowing me off for three days, I did research and found GYN B, who I was able to get in and see the next day (Friday).

GYN B listened to me and gave me some options. At that point I had finally stopped bleeding (after 24 days of heavy bleeding) but she gave me provera to try for when my period starts again. She also agreed to do the BRCA1 and BRCA2 testing for me, if my insurance would approve it. However, she did say that she would never do surgery and that she didn't care how long it takes, she would find another treatment to help, nevermind that I've been trying things for over a decade and nothing has helped.

Then, this past Friday, I had my appointment with the PA and MD. It went wonderfully. I told them everything that was going on and that I had tried. I showed them all of the ultrasounds and test results that said everything was "normal." They listened to me and believed me. The MD knows of an excellent OBGYN practice nearby and sent over a referral so that I can get in. She said that she would be content to do surgery since it appears that nothing else is working but since she's neither a gynecologist or a surgeon, that isn't her decision. The doctor that she's sending me to is a gynecological surgeon and one of the best in the area. She told me that he might know of other things we could try or he might agree with her that surgery is the only thing left to try. Now I wait until tomorrow to call the office and schedule my appointment with him.

I know that some women don't agree that surgery is all that is left for me and that I should try other options first but please refrain from commenting and telling me that. This is my decision. I have lived every day with this, I know what I've tried, I've done research, and this is what I want (well, the symptoms to be gone is what I want but this is, I feel, the only way to relieve most of the symptoms). Please don't criticize, this hasn't been an easy decision. But it is the one that I have made over many years of research and trial and pain. That being said, however, please keep the encouragement coming! Good luck to all the sisters out there with whatever step you're at!
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM

Hey,
I don't think anybody meant to be critical. I just know we all have been through every stage of the Hysterectomy process. If you can find a surgeon that will do it for you right away that is great because it sounds like you need it. The other gyno sounds horrid! I had a gyno PA tell me I was "crazy" because I couldn't handle birth control pills. Some people should not be in the medical profession!

I will tell you this, it differs for everybody but ever since my Hysterectomy I feel wonderful! All the pain I had previously is gone. So it does get better.

Best of luck keep us posted!
Lisa
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM

I only had a 2 month bleed before I was ready to rip it out myself!!!! Fortunately, my doc had no problems doing the hysterectomy. I can't imagine putting up with intermittent heavy bleeding for 10 years!!!

I had no quality of life in my opinion, with the heavy bleeding and clots, I couldn't run, couldn't chase men...ugh!!! I lost $400 in missed marathons (entry fees paid in advance).

Doing the hysterectomy was the best decision I ever made. Of course, that's me, personally...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register