Did you get a second opinion? - Page 19 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I was in the process of moving out of state, when I discovered my uterus had prolapsed. After continuing to move heavy items, I made an appointment with the nearest OBGYN. I had already suffered with stage 5 Endo and my prior OBGYN had mentioned a possible hysterectomy eight years prior but I opted not to. The new OBGYN shocked me when he said I didn't have a prolapse but told me to just use a "tampon sideways" if I felt something was coming out and sent me home. Knowing better I made another appointment and found a female OBGYN (I've had some great male Dr's, nothing against men) I told her about the other gyns statement and she informed me I was correct in seeking another opinion and confirmed my Prolapse. Although, she didn't automatically suggest a hysterectomy. I did have enough history with my old OBGYN to know I needed to just have a hysterectomy. After having my hysterectomy I'm glad I did, I feel so much better. I'm glad I sought a second opinion and questioned the doc who wanted me to go against my best judgment. Trust your instincts and get a second opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2009, 06:36 PM

I did not get a second opinion. I had adenocarcino so there was no surgical decision to make, I kne I needed a TAH, BSO and lymph node removal. My gynocologist referred me to the gynocologist/oncologist in town who is considered the expert in the area. He said all the right things to me at my pre-op consultation....this looks to be an early diagnosis....the cancer is slow growing.... you did not cause this cancer (taking estrogen) and..... try not to worry, we are going to take very good care of you. I knew I was in the right place.
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:04 PM

I didn't get a formal second opinion.
When I started spotting between periods 2.5 yrs ago, my family dr recommended a GYN. He tried several things first...changing BCP (no effect), endometrial biopsy (negative results-ie nothing unusual). He doesn't do surgery. Suggested I try endometrial ablation, and recommended GYN surgeon. She ran more tests (another biopsy, ultrasound, bloodwork, MRI). Found high prolactin levels and fibriod. Ablation probably wouldn't work for me, so we agreed hysterectomy was best. Had option to just remove fibroid, but considering the last year was one week off per month from periods and periods were brutal for 5 days per cycle (never more than a half hour from the bathroom), prefered the never bleeding again route.

TVH, ovaries stayed, 7/9/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 03:26 PM

I had an abnormal pap smear and pelvic ultrasound which sent me to a gyn and after she performed the D&C and the results showed complex hyperplasia with aypia I was then sent to a gyn/onc. So I guess the answer is yes.
Unread 07-18-2009, 07:29 AM

I was lucky that I had same Dr for 17 yrs and delivered 3 children with him. Last two were at 39 and 41 and both were just under 10 lbs and I was suffering from prolapse that was getting consistently worse but I still wasn't sure about the surgery and kept the first referral slip for a year. Then I couldn't deal with it anymore and went to the Urologist who confirmed that for me the TAH was best option. It took me another five months to fit surgery in my work schedule. Still, even going into surgery I was doubting my choice - but seriously I could feel my insides coming out and couldn't hold my bladder for anything. Post surgery my Dr said he could hold my uterus a full twelve inches outside of my body while it was attached. I am only three weeks post op but so happy I can sneeze and laugh and not pee. My 3 and 5 yr old will be happy when Mommy can play at park again! So while I did not get a second opion I followed my own instint and did have the Urologist validate the need.
Unread 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Yes I did. My original PCP, said to just wait until I went into menopause and my fibroids would shrink, the first GYN said that one of the fibroids was causing the bladder urgency and he recommended the hyst, the 2nd GYN agreed. I'm glad I actually talked to 4 doctors because a change of job caused me to change PCP's. I'm glad I did it and so is my bladder. They found 5 or 6 large fibroids!
Unread 07-31-2009, 03:28 AM

Hi, just made an appointment for a second opinion. My Doc says that since I have large fibroids and a falling bladder that the hyster is needed to do the bladder sling. I have made it to menopause and have had no more troubles with the fibroids except there is one very large one directly, centrally located in my belly and it has not shrunk like I had hoped and surely is causing pressure on the bladder. So, this makes sense and I like my Doc. She can do the hyster and sling and would work with a plastic surgeon, but there are none up here in the mountains (nor any willing to come). My belly flap is large, annoying, unsightly, and adds to my discomfort and to the point that I worry about the innards and their positions, so I would like a tummy tuck, IF possible. Just cannot see doing this twice. Perhaps this is a third opinion because I went and saw my family Doc and explained my problems to him, to which he agreed with the first Doc.
Why is it that us ladies always have to deal with belly pains?
Thanks, Crazi
Unread 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Hi
I did not get a second opinion because my problem is mainly with the bladder. The uterus which has several large fibroids has pressed o hard and so long on my bladder that the main part of the bladder is below the urethra and I can not urinate well. But I am constantly going. (meds do not help) There are times I can not go at all. My uterus is also very prolapsed. Has been for years. A difficult labor 21 years ago with a third degree tear of the rectum did me in. Also I stand all day and when my allergies flare up I develope asthmatic bronchitis which cause me to cough day and night. I leak urine and stool at times.
So, I've known for years that eventually this was going to have to be repaired. I am also post menopausal, and fibroids are not shrinking! I am just worried about the outcome. My docs are very thorough and cautious with me. They have to be given my history. As a matter-of-fact, my gyn had mentioned a hysterectomy 2 years ago but said I rather take a wait and see approach with you. Let's see if after menopause these monsters shrink. Well, they haven't so here I am.
LS
Unread 09-05-2009, 06:58 AM

I actually got four opinions over the course of a year. the first suggested I have the endometrial ablation done instead of a hysterectomy. I went with that but it unfortunately added to my problems. The second doctor I saw after the EA recommended a hysterectomy as did the next two. I am scheduled for a LAVH on the 28th of Sept 2009.
Unread 09-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Post - Did you get a second opinion? Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I said no because i am so very tired of being in pain, from endometriosis, then something on my uteris, ( i can barely pronounce it let alone try and spell it.) i've been like this for a while now, and just want the pain gone..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register