Nervous about getting my surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about getting my surgery Nervous about getting my surgery

Unread 04-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Nervous about getting my surgery

I am having surgery on May 13, 2009. I have been having nightmares about having the hysterectomy. I would like to know how woman feel after surgery and if they have lots of bleeding afterwards. Did anyone have any major problems after surgery? I am considering the laparoscopic hysterectomy. Overall, what should I expect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Re: Nervous about getting my surgery

Hi September - have you read this sites -checkpoints - lookk at the top of the page - there is tons of info in there.

I had my hysterectomy Laproscopic Vaginal - took everything. I had some bleeding and some period like cramping for the few days after - maybe into 2 weeks, but by the end of 2 weeks it got lighter. Would you believe --my sister had none! go figure!

We're all so different, and the doctors are different. You can expect some cramping, but each of us is different with that too. I suggest you speak with your doctor or his nurse, they can give you a better idea of what to expect - medically speaking.

Emotionally, what worked for me was: it's best that if you've made a decision to have something done, you embrace it (it's for the best medical reasons, and you'll feel better afterwards)- don't second guess yourself. Go in armed with the understanding of all that will happen. Ask your doctor for a play by play - then you'll be less afraid of the unknown, because it's sort of known. Am I making sense?

This site has so many posts, just scroll through them, I'm sure some of your concerns have been brought up and answered already. Good luck! Stay positive!
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:15 PM

I had laprascopic hyster six weeks ago and I am very happy I did it. I had a bit of bleeding the morning after the surgery for about an hour (partly as I was on my period when they wheeled me in) and since then it has been spotting only. No major problems, the usual gas pains (which can be severe), bladder and UTI issues. There was a concern about my kidneys at one point, but that turned out to be nothing. And of course the usual weakness and inability to do most normal things. This lasts for some time depending on person and the type of surgery.

All through the preparation process I remained focused on why I am doing this surgery and how good this will be long term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2009, 08:59 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your story with me.
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM

Hi-I had very little blood on my thighs when I woke up from surgery, since then it's been very little tannish color discharge, sometimes clear discharge, but again a very small (pantiliner) amount.No bleeding to speak of really at all. Pain has been moderate at most, even in the hospital. Since I was in a lot of pain prior to surgery, I have to say any pain I have felt since surgery was less than before-thank God! I had a TAH, and from posts I have read, it seems like laparascopic has a little bit easier and shorter recovery, since you don't have that huge incision to deal with, but not an option for me with huge fibroids (grapefruit).
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:16 AM

Hon I am right there with you.
I have my TAH possible BSO on May 12th. I am very nervous and stressed but happy with my choice it is very weird these feelings that I am experiencing about this. We have 3 weeks 5 days left and it will be here. I have my preop appt tuesday with gyn and then the week before with my hematologist.
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Hi
I am scheduled for my surgery on May 13th as well. So I am also nervous. But I am trying to keep a positive attitude and think this is for the better.
Unread 04-16-2009, 05:04 PM

I am one week post op, I had an abdominal supra cervical hysterectomy. I had no bleeding whatsoever until about day 5 and it was very minimal, really light red and a panty liner sufficed. Since I do have an incision I am very sore, it is hard getting into and out of bed or sitting in a chair, but I do get up and walk alot which helps. My biggest pain since the surgery was gas pains and constipation. That is worse than the incision pain. It has only been one week since my surgery but I will be off for 6 weeks since I have a physical job. I am finally feeling pretty good, not ready to venture out by no means but trying to keep busy and taking care of myself and not overdoing it. My stomach is very swollen which is normal, can only wear big granny panties and pajama pants. I don't regret my decision at all. But please discuss these feelings with your husband, I talked with my husband before I made the decision to have the surgery and he was understanding and they need to be, you are still the same person before surgery and after surgery just missing a few organs. I struggled with that myself and then I realized that is what was causing me pain and I needed to do this for me. If you really are having second thoughts you should find another Dr for a second opinion. You do not want to wish you didn't do something you did. Good luck to you, only YOU can make this decision. You can do it and make the right one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register