Questions about IUD | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about IUD Questions about IUD

Unread 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Questions about IUD

Hello everyone, Last week I was diagnoised with Adenomyosis via ultrasound. Probably had it a couple of years but had a conservative obgyn doctor who said nothing. Decided to switch because of my heavy periods and they were starting to get painful. Well this last month was unbearable, cramping all month, when I started heavy bleeding, than it ended for one day , and started back up bleeding. Doctor recommended to get iud mirena put in. I have never heard of it before and unsure to get it. So I opted to have a D/C with ablation on Jan. 24th. I know ablation might not work, but wanted to try it. It is amazing how fast the pain increases day by day.
So my question opinons on the IUD.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Re: I would like to hear from ladies who had Adenomyosis and had a hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingthelife View Post
Hello everyone, Last week I was diagnoised with Adenomyosis via ultrasound. Probably had it a couple of years but had a conservative obgyn doctor who said nothing. Decided to switch because of my heavy periods and they were starting to get painful. Well this last month was unbearable, cramping all month, when I started heavy bleeding, than it ended for one day , and started back up bleeding. Doctor recommended to get iud mirena put in. I have never heard of it before and unsure to get it. So I opted to have a D/C with ablation on Jan. 24th. I know ablation might not work, but wanted to try it. It is amazing how fast the pain increases day by day.
So my question opinons on the IUD.
Thanks,
hi there,
you have probably read the posts re ablation.
my own experience was that it didn't work.
i had the iud too...3 of them to be precise in 4 yrs.they are supposed to last 5 yrs!!!i now know that because i had adenomyosis that all that treatment was a waste of time because you bleed within the walls of the uterus.so basically the blood has nowhere to escape to and hence the pain.which gets only worse never better.
i know you said you're gonna try the ablation...i hope it does work for you or at least give you some relief time...
i still carried on bleeding with the iud's.
tablets,treatments,ablation and ended up with the hysterectomy that i should have had 12 yrs ago and no,i don't regret the operation and am healing and recovering well...
good luck...keep us posted.
xx
Unread 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Re: Questions about IUD

I currently have the IUD and HATE it ~ It has been in for 4 weeks today and every minute has been awful. While I am not bleeding, the cramping is unbearable. I went in for my consult for the surgery yesterday and he refuses to remove it until 3 months. I am praying that maybe my body will adjust to the foreign body and I can avoid surgery, but only time will tell. Everyone I know that has one for BC reasons, loves it. Never has any issues. . . every woman is different. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2011, 04:52 AM

mary82
that's awful!!!
would your cons want a stick left poking in his eye for 3 months?i think not!!
go back and insist he removes it.if you are still cramping your body is trying to expel it and that could cause more harm if left.
how dare he tell you he won't remove it...it's your body!!!
ok will get off my soap box now!!!but seriously...you need to get it sorted...good luck and let us know..
xx
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:23 AM

You know this is not the first time I have heard of doctors refusing to remove the Mirena. I heard a rumor that the longer the Mirena IUD is in a woman the more kickbacks the doctor gets. Now I know this sounds like a myth but I have heard this same story of doctors refusing to remove them a few times now so I am starting to believe it's true. I heard one woman go back to her doctor to get it removed and her doctor said he didn't know how! That is BS. If you're trained to put them in you're trained to take them out and that's the easy part. Also I heard another story of a woman wanting it out and her doctor refusing too. Another woman told her to lie and say that you're ttc and they'll do it because that's how she got them to take it out. This sounds crazy but I believe that they probably are doing a study on Mirenas and it looks bad if too many women are getting them out too soon. But if the reason is they are ttc then it doesn't make the Mirena look bad.
The thing about the Mirena is that it releases progestin so why not just take the mini pill it would do the same job.
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylay View Post
The thing about the Mirena is that it releases progestin so why not just take the mini pill it would do the same job.
For me, I can not take the mini pill because oral contraceptives increase your risk for blood clots and because I have a few thrombophilias, it would be like handing me a blood clot on a platter! The Mirena, to my knowledge, delivers hormones directly to the uterus whereas the mini pill / oral contraceptive / depo / others, it has to go through your body before it gets to the desired location.

I have a call into a different doc. . . and if not, there are 4 others that I have seen for "second" opinions!
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM

I was having very heavy periods that would last 25/27 days. My gyno suggested the Mirena because she thought ablation would only be temporary. I got the Mirena. My gyno told me it could take up to 6 months for it to kick in and that is exactly how long it took. I started having periods that only required a light pad and it would last maybe 3 days. Some months I didn't even get a period. The longer I had the Mirena though the more "edgy" I became and my blood pressure was rising to the point where it was causing concern, not to mention my sexual drive started to decrease. I was losing a lot of hair and feeling run down. I was also suffering from constipation. After 2 years I told the gyno to take it out. She balked at first but followed my direction. I immediately felt like the old me again and was mad that I let this device change my personality. 2 months later the heavy bleeding started again. So I decided to get a hysterectomy. 12/27/10 was my date. Turns out my uterine glands were growing into my muscular structure, I had several fibroids, one of which was the size of a racquetball. After my surgery I had immediate relief from constant feeling of pressure in my "gut", no more back pain, my mood is happier, no constipation. A side bar to this was when I went to get my hair done, my hairdresser said I have a huge amount of new hair growth. SO the moral of my story is I should have listened to my body. I can not tell you how much better I am feeling, my uterus was just too tired out and was causing a huge negative affect on my entire body.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register