Whew...what have I gotten myself into.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Whew...what have I gotten myself into.... Whew...what have I gotten myself into....

Unread 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Whew...what have I gotten myself into....

[b][/

Today is tuesday and my surgery for a complete hyst was this past thursday...they cut about a 6" incision, which doesnt look like it's going to look too bad...Here's my mini story: Had to get hyst due to very painful fibroids which were growing and they were pushing on my ovaries and bladder....in recovery my oxygen level dropped below 70 so they brought me out of anestesia (kinda frightening that was)...emergency response team had to come as I stopped breathing...anyway, no pain meds except for 2 percocets for 24 hr. 24 HOURS! Finally I said, GIVE ME SOMETHING FOR THIS PAIN. They said they couldn't b/c my oxygen level dropped due to amt of drugs they gave me for surgery....so here I am at home and doc won't call me in a refill for pain meds. This is day 5 and I am still in pain..am trying to walk alot but can't that much as it hurts..sitting up alot...question is....do I have the right to tell the doc I want some dang meds? He said take ibuprophen b/c my colon is so impacted and p pills make you constipated. I mean, 2 things in a row to make me suffer here.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Re: Whew...what have I gotten myself into....

Bless you, honey. I would definitely call the doctor....now. He should be able to do something. Doctors get paid to be on call, so don't feel guilty. Hugs and hang in there!
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:05 PM

oh, I will call him and say you are in pain, or go to the ER room. There is no way you will heal in pain. It is hard to sleep, do anything. I cannot believe there is no drug that can work for you and your situation, they might have to look a bit harder but I will call them and insist! Please keep us informed as how it develops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2011, 09:23 PM

Definitely call the doctor. My guy, while good otherwise, went really light on pain meds post op, and it slowed my recovery, I believe (I feel about 2 weeks behind). For the constipation, take a stool softener and/or laxative, prune juice, and eat something very whole grainy. Repeat as needed/recommended. Tell the doctor you are in pain (rate it 1-10) and ask for whatever options are available. There HAS to be something that will work in your situation!

Dee
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyklei View Post

... He said take ibuprophen b/c my colon is so impacted and p pills make you constipated. I mean, 2 things in a row to make me suffer here.....

Your colon is impacted? As in you're having difficulty with bowel movements? That alone can be very painful. If that's the case, there should be some treatment to get things working properly again. If that's part of what's happening, drink a lot of water. I discovered quite by accident that water in huge quantities acts like a laxative. (One of the reasons magnesium citrate and Gas-x are so salty is to draw water to the colon.)

Ultimately, you need to push your doctor to find a way to manage your pain.
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:28 PM

OMG ibprofen? Is he nuts? I would call and tell them it's not working. Unless you're at risk for rupture or something I don't see why you can't take pain pills and a stool softener. That's what I was told to do.

Hope you feel better! {{{HUGS}}}
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:40 PM

My dr. prescribed Ultram because its less constipating and for pain relief I think it works better than my Norco did. So maybe ask for that, good luck sweetie, I am sorry you are having this issue! I agree with the lots of water especially if you up your fiber.
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM

Definately call your doctor!!! Research shows that people heal so much faster when their pain is under control!!! I cannot imagine that you would have been released from the hospital if your oxgyen levels were still low, so why were you not given stronger pain meds?!

I agree with the other sisters that water and lots of fiber really help with BMs. I also added smoothies made with fresh or frozen fruit and a bit of fruit juice helped a lot. I know you are in too much pain now, but when it lessens, walking also helps the body become a lot more "regular". Healing thoughts to you!
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM

In meantime:
Did you try something else OTC then ibuprofen?
I only used tylenol, and that worked well for me. Two 500mg pills every 6 hours. Also got this in the hospital. At night tylenol pm.
It is possible ibuprofen doesn't do that much for you.
Gas pain is also very painful! I still drink a lot, eat dried plums, fruit etc. BM's are good, were painful the first 2 weeks a lot of gas pain before BM.
And what also helped a lot was a cold/frozen compress on my belly.

Good luck, also with calling your doctor, let us know what he/she said.
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:32 AM

I also have issues with constipation, but I am on percocet and Colace or miralax.

I would have to agree with the others. You have to be as close to pain free as possible to make sure that you can heal. Call your doc and insist... he can see you in his office or at the ER... the choice is his. I also had my O2 sats go down because of the dilaudid... and it was a rough way to have to come up out of anesthesia... but surely they can do something for you. I am sending lots of positive thoughts! Keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register