Not sure if I should have Hyster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not sure if I should have Hyster Not sure if I should have Hyster

Unread 11-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Not sure if I should have Hyster

I've been seeing my gyno, who has a great rep, for two years. I had very heavy periods w/ lots of pain. She found a heavy lining and some other problems (fibroids?) so I had an Endometrial Ablation and D&C.

After about six months or a year the pain started coming back but the bleeding didn't. I have the pain on one side of my lower abdomen and it is really bad during my period.

I've had to take Darvocet. My dr doesn't think taking narcotics every month is a good long term strategy and I see her point.

She didn't see endo when she did the ablation. She thinks that at this point, my best option to get rid of the pain is probably a hyster since I've been dealing with the pain for two years and the ablation didn't get rid of it.

I don't want to get major surgery unless it is absolutely necessary though. It is hard to make the decision to have such major surgery when the only real symptom is "pain" even when the pain is severe.

Anyone else go through these feelings? I almost feel "guilty" putting myself at risk if it is not strictly necessary. Also, I work out 4 times a week to stay in shape and don't want to be out of circulation for over a month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 04:53 AM

I've had very close to the same experiences that you've had....Endometrial Ablation and D&C, after heavy bleeding and a lot of pain. Also feeling better for a short period of time. When my pain came back my gyno thought I had an ovarian cyst. During a laparscope to remove the cyst and ovary she found that I was full of endo. She was not able to see this during the abalation and d&c.
I had six month treatment of Lupron Depot and was pain free for about a year. The pain has returned with a vengence and after a lot of prayer and talking to my gyno decided it was time. Surprisingly, for over a week after the decision was made, I had no pain! I was contemplating canceling, my DH told me it was just a matter of time and the pain would be back and to get it done and over with. (The pain is back) My surgergy is 12/6 and I am comfortable with my decision.
Maybe you do need a second opinion or to explore other possibilities if you're not comfortable with it.

Good Luck!
ejzc
TAH/BSO scheduled 12/6 - endometriosis & fibroids
Unread 11-23-2007, 05:38 AM

I had a similar experience, although was told that an ablation would very likely not take care of my pain, but would help with the bleeding. We went straight to the hyster, and I still, nearly six weeks later, am questioning my choice. Here's why:

I had NUMEROUS complications. Otherwise, I think this will perhaps eventually be the best decision of my life. However, now, in the midst of the third ring of hell, I am still where you are now.

You may very well come through the whole experience with no complications! And if you're having to resort to narcotic pain killers each month, I think this is probably your best choice, personally. I know my pain was not as bad as that, but if it's gone after all the rest of this garbage clears up, then I'll be happy...

Best of luck to you,
Dina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 06:38 AM

i would suggest getting a second opinion before you do anything. my second opinion was the best thing i ever did..it gave me the option of having just the body of my uterus removed (keeping my cervix and ovaries) and i was able to avoid surgical menopause. do lots of research and make sure you are prepared for everything before you set a date. making an informed decision is the best thing you can do for yourself. good luck
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:58 AM

Hi Engawa,

I agree with possilby getting a 2nd opinion. I got two opinions myself. My 1st Dr. wanted to do an abdominal hyst and my 2nd Dr. recommended a less invasive hyst.

Possilby you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a TVH, LAVH or a LSH. Go to the *Hysterectomy Checkpoints* link at the top of the web site...click on it and go to the *Pre-op* area and scroll down on that link. It goes over the ~different~ types of hysts and questions to ask your Dr.

I also work out 3-4 days (at the gym)..so that was also a concern of mine going into surgery. I did some walking in immediate post-op with my LSH...and I went back to the gym at 6 weeks, with my Dr's okay. I was back to my regular routine before I knew it.

Mary
Unread 11-23-2007, 12:25 PM

My symptoms were similar, heavy bleeding and pain, but I had the symptoms for 10+ years, getting steadily worse. I to have taken Darvocet every month for the past two years. I finally found a good gyno (not one who suggested that my pain was in my head) who suggested ablation but because of where my fibroids are felt ablation would probably not be effective treament of the pain, or a LTH. I'm only 42 so I'm keeping my ovaries. I'm looking to regaining the 20-30% of my life I have spent in pain.

Dina - What type of surgery did you have, and are you getting satisfactory care for your complications?

Engawa - You should be certain of your decision. Talk to a second Dr. and a third if necessary to find some one you are comfortable with. This is your life and your health and it is IMPORTANT!

Cassie
LTH for fibroids, pain and heavy bleeding scheduled (finally) 1/13/08
Unread 11-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Cassie,
I had a TVH on the 15th of October. My complications started immediately post-op with a morphine overdose in the hospital. This was followed by a sinus infection, the stomach flu, a pulmonary embolism, uncontrollable diarrhea, dehydration, rebleeding into my pelvis because of the blood thinners, an abscess, abscess rupture, and then a second (this time emergency) surgery, complete with external drain, PICC line for continuous antibiotics, a reaction to said antibiotics, and finally home on oral mega-antibiotics, and some semblance of recuperation. Am I getting satisfactory care? At this point, I'm not certain, as one domino seems to lead to another. I am now suffering from severe depression, heart palpitations, racing heart (130 bpm), dizziness and muscle weakness from the antibiotics, and although I have made two calls to the doctor, no one seems to think these side effects are worth returning my call on at the moment. I only have three days left on the big meds, but my symptoms are growing worse daily, and I'm a bit afraid of the long term effects to my heart if I continue (I have continuous chest pain since being on the antibiotic). I've never not listened to my docs before, but I'm a bit freaked out right now, and am somewhat inclined to stop the big pill for the last three days without prior approval... If I take the tab tonight, and it's still worse, I will be calling the doc minute-by-minute all weekend long....

So yes, I'm probably not the best benchmark at the moment. Ironically, these were my 7th and 8th surgeries, and prior to now, I've never had any issues recovering from surgery. I guess I was just "due."

I also agree on the second opinion, for what it's worth.
Dina
Unread 11-23-2007, 01:21 PM

Wow Dina, that's a lot to deal with. I hope you have good support at home. You know you have support here from your sisters. I would be worried about stopping medication against doctor's orders, but your doctor should be more responsive to you...at least call you back. I suppose you can go to ER as last resort, but you should have MD guidence. Is your regular physican available to you? I am concerned for your health and well being. Please let us know you are ok through the weekend.

Cassie
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:11 PM

The first time I met my OBGYN was this past May because of pain and bleeding for 3 weeks a month after taking hormone pills to stop it. He said he could do several procedures on me that have very little success (all the ones you mentioned) but after 6 surgeries in 6 months from a bum knee I wasn't in the mood to play around with more procedures. I wanted the bottom line which was that if I don't plan to have anymore babies than I a TVH without removal of the ovaries would permanently fix the problem. I told him that I wanted to wait until Oct to schedule it so my body could heal from the past surgeries. In those 6 months I did lots of homework, talked to other women and I read everything on this site and I have to admit this stuff scared me, but I came to the conclusion that most people that had good recoveries are getting on with their lives and not posting also most of the hysterectomy's on the board are TAH with removal of the ovaries.
If you able to have a TVH and keeping your ovaries than most likely things should go smoothly if you have a reputable Dr.
I had to have a 4 hour surgery on my back 4 weeks after my hysterectomy and that one was way more painful than the hysterectomy. After the hysterectomy, I was off narcotics 2 days after getting home from the hospital. 2 weeks after back surgery and I am still taking narcotics.
I feel like I made an informed decision that I am happy to live with. I will admit that the waiting and wondering nearly killed me but afterwards I am happy to have those annoying parts gone and ready to heal from this other surgery and get on with life. Good luck with your decision.
Cheers
Lynn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register