High blood pressure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

High blood pressure High blood pressure

Unread 10-03-2008, 08:53 PM
High blood pressure

I was started on a low dose of HCZ for high blood pressure before my surgery (4 weeks ago), and my pressure was controlled very well. It stayed low for a while, but it has been creeping up, and now it is quite high again. Could this be because of the surgery? I don't feel like I am going into menopause, ovaries were left, but now I am not so sure. Could this be a sign of menopause?

Or, can I expect the pressure to go down again? Could this be just temporary? Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2008, 09:40 PM
High blood pressure

Is it the systolic or the distolic that is high?

You might want to monitor and document your blood pressure for a couple of weeks -- taking it different times of the day, several times a day. It may be that your medication or dose needs an adjustment. I started off 5 yrs ago with low dose HCZ but over time it became ineffective. I am now on meds that appear to be working and which are keeping my BP in a range that my doctor says is very good.

The best thing to do is to see your doctor so that he can do what's necessary to get it under control again.
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:44 PM
High blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonk2003
I was started on a low dose of HCZ for high blood pressure before my surgery (4 weeks ago), and my pressure was controlled very well. It stayed low for a while, but it has been creeping up, and now it is quite high again. Could this be because of the surgery? I don't feel like I am going into menopause, ovaries were left, but now I am not so sure. Could this be a sign of menopause?

Or, can I expect the pressure to go down again? Could this be just temporary? Should I be concerned?
Be sure your doc keeps a close eye on your BP. Mine began to creep up after my pulmonary embolisms two years ago. I now take a 20mg benicar and it controls my pressure pretty well. Mine actually improved after surgery and has been pretty low since then. It was a little higher at my 6 week check on Wednesday - 140/70 (I'm back at work, higher stress) but still lower than pre-castle. My PCP has weaned me from the three other pills I was taking before my surgery. One of them was the htz. I feel much better now without all those pills!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2008, 10:39 PM
High blood pressure

does menopause cause high blood pressure?? just wondering after reading these posts......mine was 128/81 and that was higher for me Iam usually lower.....I had a TAH/BSO so with no ovaries Iam now menopause.....that was at my six week post op check
Unread 10-03-2008, 10:43 PM
High blood pressure

thanks so much for your responses. leepfrog, both systolic and diastolic are high now. what medication are you on now? was there any increase after your surgery?

Stonebo, i will contact my doc. if it is not improved after this weekend. Do you think I should be contacting the gyn who did the surgery or my general health practicioner? I am not sure if this is connected to the surgery or not...
Unread 10-04-2008, 07:06 AM
High blood pressure

I take 1 mg of Terazosin and Benicar/HCT 45mg/25mg.

While in the hospital, my BP was excellent (122/57), but I was also on morphine which I think helped keep it low. I just now took my BP and it was 157/85. This is a little high for me but I'm not going to worry about it just yet because I'm still on pain meds, and my body is just at the beginning of the healing process.

Since it is probably your Primary Care physician who is monitoring your BP and prescribing BP medication for you, it is probably best you go see him so he can continue to follow it.

To anyone who has hypertension, I strongly recommend that you purchase a BP kit so that you can take your BP at home. When I bought mine, I took my BP monitor with me to the doctor's office so that we could test it against theirs to ensure mine was accurate. It was. Sometimes if I'm not feeling well, I'll take my BP at home myself just to make sure it's not out of whack.

Per the American Heart Association, Blood Pressure can be affected by many things. It's best to see your doctor so that he can determine the best treatment and regimine for you.
Unread 10-04-2008, 07:46 AM
High blood pressure

thanks for the response; i had been taking a lot of ibuprofin although had started to taper off. I guess that can also influence blood pressure.
Unread 10-04-2008, 06:11 PM
High blood pressure

I agree with Leepfrog - your PCP should watch you closely until your bp stabilizes. I invested in a digital BP monitor, too, and kept a diary of my bp each day while I was getting my meds started so I could let my doc know how the meds were working. I only take it once a week now, just to make sure everything is OK. I tend to reach "peaks" where I have to change my meds periodically as I develop resistance to them.

Any time I take OTC meds, including ibuprofen, my blood pressure is altered, especially sinus and allergy tabs. Walking and exercise help keep it lower, too. I have also learned that deep breathing and relaxation techniques can make it drop as much as 10 points.

Hypertension can be a huge factor in your future health, especially your heart health. Don't take it lightly.
Unread 10-04-2008, 06:17 PM
High blood pressure

I had my hys on sep 3rd also. after i had been home about two days my bp
jumped way up! i was really scared and had my husband take me to the ER
about 11:00p.m.!!!! The ER doc told me that it was post surgery stress and not to worry about it (easy for him to say!) I'm a major worrier! it went back to normal(for me) after one more day. I called my primary doc-he told
me the same thing-post surgery stress!!!! hope this helps some
stacey
Unread 10-05-2008, 07:13 AM
High blood pressure

bwonk2003,

Days before my surgery my BP jumped up...and continued during post ops hospital stay. The nurses just documented how I was feeling. It stayed until about 4 weeks posted op. I was told it was pre- and post surgery stress. My BP is normally 120/80 and at my 2 week check-up is as 140/101. I just monitored it and any symptoms I was having, watched my salt intake as well…Now at 6 weeks back to 120/80.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register