Endometrial D and C ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial D and C ? Endometrial D and C ?

Unread 05-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Endometrial D and C ?

I just came form my gyno, been having my periods 2 times a month for the past 3 months. He wants to do an Endometrial D and C on June 5th and sent for biopsy to rule out endometrial cancer. I am very upset but he said it occurs one out of 100 women. He said after the results of the D and C, we will take things from there. I had the CA 125 bloodtest done a few months ago which showed no cancer so why is he thinking I may have endometrial cancer? Anyone had this procedure that can help me out to ease some of my anxiety?
Thanks,
Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Endometrial D and C ?

Hi Diane

I've had a couple of D&Cs - that's when they "scrape" as much of the endometrial lining as they can, and send it for biopsy and/or investigation.

Many doctors prefer to do a D&C or a stand-alone biopsy just to rule out this cancer, so please don't worry too much at this point! He's really just making sure before you go ahead and schedule anything else. If it comes back negative, then you can take it from there - and if it *does* come back positive, then you'll have a better idea of what steps you can take to treat it.

You'll probably have general anesthetic for the procedure, and you might have some spotting and cramping afterwards, but it's generally not too bothersome. You'll usually be home the same day, but you'll need someone to drive you home.

Please don't worry too much - I know it's easy to say that, but many doctors will do a D&C/biopsy to rule out cancer just as a precaution, as the CA 125 isn't generally a good indicator for this type of cancer.

Many s and warm wishes,

Tess
Unread 05-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Not to worry! (I know... lame) LOL

Hello (((Diane)))

Sure can help there. Your physican was giving you the worst-case view. Any abnormal bleeding should be worked up. In my case, I was diagnosed with fibroids back in 1998; therefore the reason for my own heavy periods. I had already had the transvaginal ultrasound that showed the enlarging fibroids, but my doc wanted the in-office endo biopsy to gain a better insight as to what else was lurking there. Of course, I had every right to refuse. But I was very concerned that I could be at risk NOT knowing and consented. I knew, since I had never had vaginal delivery, and probably the doc wouldn't be able to get past my cervix. I was correct, and ended up having a D&C. There is a difference between an endometrial biopsy and a D&C. I am curious why your doc wants to go via the D&C, rather than the endo biopsy? I have a link for you to look at, below.

My own anxiety was pretty high, too, not knowing how my own body would react to an endo biopsy and D&C. But it was handled beautifully! I think the anticipatory anxiety itself was a stinker.

(((hugs)))

Susan

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010315/1131.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Endometrial D and C ?

The CA 125 test is notoriously inaccurate and bleeding is a hallmark sign of cancer. Having said that, irregular bleeding is also pretty common and usually is not indicative of anything real serioius. So do try to relax about it. A D&C is a fairly minor procedure done under general anesthetic with few after effects - bleeding and a few cramps, if that. Your doctor is doing the right thing. Chances are he won't find any cancer and just doing the procedure might put an end to the bleeding. (After you bleed for awhile because of the scraping!)
Unread 05-23-2003, 06:16 PM
D&C

Diane, I very well know what you are going through. I just went through it myself. I am 57 years old and have been postmenopausal for 17 years and started spotting in March of this year. Primary Md referred me to a gyn and also ordered a transvaginal ultrasound which showed endometrial thickness of 3.5 cm. An in office biopsy was performed as well as the pap smear. They both came normal, but because of the ultrasound results, I was referred to an ONC/GYN. This was just so frightening to me. I had never had children and my husband and I adopted, so I had several problems that can cause endometrial cancer, including obesity, hypertension and diabetes, along with never giving birth and an early menopause. I wrote to hystersisters and someone answered me and stated she had similar problems with endometrial thickness and it turned out to be a polyp.

Well tomake a long story short, the GYN did the hysteroscopy in the office and guess what? I had a 3.5 cm polyp. This was removed this morning with a D&C, hysteroscopy and polypectomy.

This has been such a very long 2 months for me and my family, but it is over. It may be wonderful that the Dr.s care, but enough is enough when it comes to someone's sanity.

The D&C was a breeze and with the hysteroscopy, it is very conclusive. Took all of 40 minutes and I was in and out in less than 2 hours. Have some minor bleeding and very little cramping.

I just feel sad that I do not qualify as a true hyster sister and don't feel I can join the group, but I will still read the posts and marvel at what a wonderful site this is and the information as well as the ladies experiences are a great resource to everyone.

Thank you all and GOD BLESS all of you.

Good luck Diane and keep us posted

Phyllis

Unread 05-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Endometrial D and C ?

Your very fortunate your doctor is taking precautions. I had a D&C in October and hysteroscopy to remove a polyp. The biopsy showed endometrial hyperplasia I was put on progesterone which helps stop the build up of the lining of the uterus. My doctor wanted to do another biopsy in Feb. I could not understand why he wanted to do this but decided it was best to get done well it turned out that in my case it became atypia endometrial hyperplasia which is precancerous. I will be having my TAH/BSO in a few weeks and have been on progesterone daily. I'm so glad he caught this in time. Trust in your doctor and his/her expertise.
Unread 05-24-2003, 05:46 AM
Endometrial D and C ?

Like CT210, I had endometrial hyperplasia -- a thickening of the lining of the ovary. The first time I knew I had this was in 1994 when I started bleeding on a hiking trip up a moment (embarassing). I had an endometrial biopsy/D & C with a local anaesthetic at that time and was treated with progesterones.

There are different kinds and degrees of endometrial hyperplasia. What I had then was considered simple, without abnormal cells. In other words, the structure of the lining was fairly normal, just too thick, and the cells were normal. I was 41 then.

This January, I began bleeding heavily. This time was different. First of all, I am now 50 and post-menopausal. Post-menopausal bleeding is the most obvious and common sign of endometrial cancer. Secondly, the transvaginal ultrasound ordered by my family doctor showed significant abnormalities in the lining of my uterus. Thirdly, an endometrial biopsy showed that I now had complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia. This means that the structure of the lining was now abnormal, cells all squished and pushed together, and that the cells themselves were abnormal. This type of endometrial hyperplasia is considered precancerous and is treated usually with a TAH/BSO at my age or sometimes with progesterones. Since there were other medical reasons for not taking progesterones, the gynecolocist did a complete hysterectomy with removal of the fallopian tubes and ovaries.

That was just under two weeks ago. I feel very good and quite relieved. In cases of complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia about 30% apparently go on to develop endometrial cancer if surgery is not done. In about 1/4 of cases of complex endometrial with atypia, the doctor finds cancer in the pathology report even though the d & c and/or endometrial biopsy did not show it.

I didn't feel it was worth the risk to keep all my parts given the information I had. My doctor answered my questions fully and completely and, due to inevitable delays in getting surgery, I had lots of time for research. I would encourage you to get all of your questions answered to your complete satisfaction if possible and to get as much information as you need.

Caught at an early stage it is one of the most survivable of cancers. And, of course, you may not have it at all!

Best wishes
Liatris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register